Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Top-10 complaints about World Cup soccer ...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:59 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Same reason as football or hockey scores in America Ollie, except that FIFA won't recognize it as a problem.

Too many dominating defenses in the NFL (starting with the Steel Curtain) and the league changes rules, and continues to, to get scoring.

Too much clutch and grab mixed with wonton interference in the NHL... refs and rules change.

Defensive schemes of clubs like Italy become a modern day version of soccer Maginot Line... and FIFA .... says good strategy.

ZM

Assuming one takes the position that not enough scoring happens in soccer (which has some merit), the next question is how do you address this problem? What parts of a soccer team's defensive strategy should be addressed in promulgating new rules? Are there current rules that unfairly inhibit goal scoring in soccer?

In football and hockey, it was relatively easy to identify and address the things that inhibited scoring (e.g., jamming receivers in football; goalie puck-handling behind the net in hockey). I'm not so sure that exercise is so easy in soccer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
Assuming one takes the position that not enough scoring happens in soccer (which has some merit), the next question is how do you address this problem? What parts of a soccer team's defensive strategy should be addressed in promulgating new rules? Are there current rules that unfairly inhibit goal scoring in soccer?

In football and hockey, it was relatively easy to identify and address the things that inhibited scoring (e.g., jamming receivers in football; goalie puck-handling behind the net in hockey). I'm not so sure that exercise is so easy in soccer.

Not sure, at the level those guys play. You could do what Rugby did, and take at least two men off the field, thereby unclogging the midfield.

You might mandate, say 3 strikers minimum to pull guys upfield a bit more, maybe.

It can be done. There used to be much more scoring than now. Not 10-7, but you did get a lot of 5-2 going on. Whatever it is, you have to get over the coaches packed defense mind set.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:40 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Willton wrote:

Not sure, at the level those guys play. You could do what Rugby did, and take at least two men off the field, thereby unclogging the midfield.

You might mandate, say 3 strikers minimum to pull guys upfield a bit more, maybe.

It can be done. There used to be much more scoring than now. Not 10-7, but you did get a lot of 5-2 going on. Whatever it is, you have to get over the coaches packed defense mind set.

ZM

You may have a point. When I was growing up playing soccer, I noticed that when I was young, the player formations were striker-centric (i.e., five strikers, three midfielders, two defensive backs). As I got older, the formations became more defensive-minded, as the number of defensive backs increased from two to three to four, the number of midfielders fluctuated between three and four (and eventually stuck at four), while the number of strikers decreased from five to three to two. Looking back, it was clear that defense became more of a priority.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 am 

Formations are not going to determine scoring, since coaches can designate three forwards, but effectively play only two as the third "forward" is really another midfielder.

I am not sure how scoring could be increased, but not beyond what makes sense. How about the equivalent of a "blue line" on the field, after which point there is no offsides? That way, defenders will have to make a play on the ball rather than stepping forward to kill the offensive push.

By playing the ball and the man, the defender is now more likely to get beaten and give up a quality shot. The shots on goal would be more frequent, better quality for both teams. Scoring would increase, but teams that played solid defense would still be able to make a stand.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:12 am 

I'd be more in favor of ZM's first suggestion: reduce the number of players on the field. The biggest obstacle to scoring that I see (aside from the off-sides rule, which is necessary to discourage cherry picking) is getting the ball past 10 fielders plus a goalkeeper. Reducing the number of players on the field would be kind of like reducing the number of cars on a crowded highway: suddenly, shooting lanes open up on the 18-yard line.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:13 pm 

U.S. coach agrees with Bucfan on the embarrassment of "flopping" in the tournament.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world- ... 62510.html

No shock here. The degree of diving, flopping, flailing, writhing, and general faking is very irritating to me. These players are good at the sport, but cheating - out and out cheating - seems to be part of the game and accepted:

• Every throw in ... the guy starts wandering up the field, until he is 10 yards beyond the point where the throw-in should take place. Ref has to intervene, moves guy back. He goes back to the spot, and wanders up just 5 yards this time, and the ref lets the play proceed.
  • Every foul involving a kick. Offense puts the ball 2-3 yards forward of where it should be. The same routine detailed above occurs.
  • However, the offense's obvious cheating is offset a bit by the defense cheating by infringing on the free area that should exist. Need to be 10 yards back? Take a position 7 yards away and argue with the referee, eventually settling on a spot 8.5 yards away. Heh. Cheated an extra 1.5 yards in the deal ... and so exciting to watch the asshole players arguing with the ref about positioning.
  • Flopping, writhing, screaming, fainting, grabbing body parts ... all stemming from imaginary or minimal contact. Makes me want to take a 2 x 4 to these fakers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 am 

I know most folks here don't fancy soccer and I myself only enjoy the WC, but this week is going to have some GREAT games:

Germany-England (World War III), Spain-Portugal (Battle of the Iberian Peninsula), winner of Mexico-Argentina facing Germany or England... we could even see Brazil-Portugal/Spain.

And, of course, a potential US-Mexico matchup looms if the stars align.

I'm following intently.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 am 

For the record my pre-group phase finals prediction was Netherlands over Germany. Still possible.
After watching a bunch of matches though I'm more inclined to say Agentina over Brazil.

The U.S. should reach the semifinals (final four!!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:56 pm 

Ollie wrote:
For the record my pre-group phase finals prediction was Netherlands over Germany. Still possible.
After watching a bunch of matches though I'm more inclined to say Agentina over Brazil.

The U.S. should reach the semifinals (final four!!)

Yes, they absolutely should.

Brackets for anyone interested:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

Note the region of death in the upper right, which I think will bode well for the Netherlands/Brazil winner (who has the best route to the final)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:47 pm 

WHOOPS!

USA 1-0 down to Ghana after 7 minutes!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:55 pm 

Back in it!
1-1 with 20 minutes to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:16 pm 

While I haven't been 'pulling' for the US, I've been following them and... boy was that a bad loss.

Blew a myriad of chances, played laxed D to allow two bad goals...

Just a bad way to go out, especially considering how hard they fought to get back in it and force ET.