Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top-10 complaints about World Cup soccer ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:05 pm 

I am not a "soccer hater" by any means. The sport requires the players to be fit and skilled. However, the simple fact is that World Cup soccer has shortcomings that detract from the sport:

10. Players argue with the referee while the play is taking place. Play the damn game.
9. How much time is left? Uhh, we don't really know. Maybe 5 minutes, maybe 8. Depends on what the ref decides.
8. The embarrassing celebrations after a goal. Pulling your shirt over your head, doing a conga dance, etc. Stop it.
7. Down a goal with 5 minutes to go? Don't change a thing. Keep defenders back, goalie in the goal. Hey, 1-nil is all good.
6. Down 1-0 with 88 minutes to go? OH MY GOD, THE DEFICIT IS INSURMOUNTABLE!!
5. 80,000 kazoos blaring incessantly? Hey, great fans.
4. Exchanging sweaty jerseys after the game is over? Wow, Bill Clinton did not trade bodily fluids so freely.
3. Coaches slumbering on the sidelines as we are told how brilliant they are at "strategy." What "strategy"?? Run fast, kick ball?
2. World class players wind up, shoot, AND ... miss the largest goal in any sport this side of polo by 20 yards.
1. And number 1 on the list ... the constant, endless diving, falling, collapsing by players from little or no contact, hoping to cheat and get a penalty shot (that will then be airmailed over the goal by 20 yards).

Back to your regular programming.

Post subject: Re: Top-10 complaints about World Cup soccer ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm 

All that in 30 seconds of watching before you switched to Baseball Tonight. You are very talented!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:59 pm 

As someone who played soccer in highschool, I have to admit watching it on television is boring, sometimes its boring watching it live, and sometimes it was boring while playing...

Naturally though, because of my size, I was a goon and played about 10 minutes a game and 'beat' on the other teams star player...

I once got red carded in a JV game for doing a fireman's carry to the other team's goal tender...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:21 pm 

Response time!

Bucfan wrote:
10. Players argue with the referee while the play is taking place. Play the damn game.

This happens in baseball all the time, especially regarding balls and strikes. Yet we as fans get upset when bad calls are not argued by the players or managers. Hardly seems like a fair criticism.

Quote:
9. How much time is left? Uhh, we don't really know. Maybe 5 minutes, maybe 8. Depends on what the ref decides.

Okay, legit complaint. I've never understood the whole "extra minutes" regime. Why can't they just stop the clock when it's warranted?

Quote:
8. The embarrassing celebrations after a goal. Pulling your shirt over your head, doing a conga dance, etc. Stop it.

And yet we celebrate players like Chad Ochocinco. Hmmm.

Not to mention the similar celebrations hockey teams have when they score, which happens far more often than in soccer.

Quote:
7. Down a goal with 5 minutes to go? Don't change a thing. Keep defenders back, goalie in the goal. Hey, 1-nil is all good.

The advantage of having 11 fielders versus their 10 and keeper in soccer is far more diminished than the advantage of pulling a goalie in hockey. Plus, giving the opposing team the opportunity to score from midfield is not an attractive one.

Quote:
6. Down 1-0 with 88 minutes to go? OH MY GOD, THE DEFICIT IS INSURMOUNTABLE!!

Yeah, I got nothing. That's just the nature of the game. But, as a result, it makes every goal that much more meaningful.

Quote:
5. 80,000 kazoos blaring incessantly? Hey, great fans.

Two words: Thunder Sticks.

Plus, I think that's more of a function of South Africa than it is of the World Cup.

Quote:
4. Exchanging sweaty jerseys after the game is over? Wow, Bill Clinton did not trade bodily fluids so freely.

That's a shortcoming? Why do you care?

Quote:
3. Coaches slumbering on the sidelines as we are told how brilliant they are at "strategy." What "strategy"?? Run fast, kick ball?

Obviously spoken by a person who never played the game. I imagine similar things could be said about baseball. ("What strategy?? Throw ball, swing bat?")

Quote:
2. World class players wind up, shoot, AND ... miss the largest goal in any sport this side of polo by 20 yards.

Um, have you measured the amount of space between a pair of uprights? There's far more area between two uprights than there is between two soccer goal posts. Yet place kickers (i.e., kickers that do not have to hit a moving ball) like Mike Vanderjagdt and Olindo Mare miss these targets at least once a year.

Quote:
1. And number 1 on the list ... the constant, endless diving, falling, collapsing by players from little or no contact, hoping to cheat and get a penalty shot (that will then be airmailed over the goal by 20 yards).

The flopping is annoying, but it tends to happen mostly with teams from Latin American countries (not to sound overly nationalist). You don't find that happens as much with the teams from Western Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm 

Soccer's almost as much fun as NASCAR. NASCAR comes in a distant second to colonoscopies. Colonoscopies are definitely a step up from swimming through a pool of habanero sauce and broken glass. The habanero pool is still better than Nascar though, which in turn is still slightly better than soccer.

But soccer is better than one thing I suppose........dying.

Oh, and Lutefisk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:57 pm 

Yep, lutefisk really sucks. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:35 pm 

I fully agree w/ #'s 1 and 3.

#'s 6 and 7 are quite valid as well, but I've learned to accept them as part of the game.

I'm on the fence about #8, just because I hate the NFL's/NCAA's witch hunt against 'excessive celebrations'.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm 

I've watched every game so far. I totally get the importance of it to people, especially those in the Third World.
I admit I see a lot of nothing at times.. I am more bored by the NBA though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm 

I quote Bertie on this one-

"Soccer is merely fodder for the unthinking class."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 pm 

Have you watched cricket? It's kind of cool but the number of runs scored in "an innings" (lol) is staggering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Soccer's almost as much fun as NASCAR. NASCAR comes in a distant second to colonoscopies. Colonoscopies are definitely a step up from swimming through a pool of habanero sauce and broken glass. The habanero pool is still better than Nascar though, which in turn is still slightly better than soccer.

Oh, and Lutefisk.

I have a friend who has a shirt that says:

NASCAR

I root for the wall

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:42 am 

BBF wrote:
I quote Bertie on this one-

"Soccer is merely fodder for the unthinking class."

Goodness me BBF, where did you dig that up from?

One has reluctantly had to get involved in all the hype surrounding the World Cup to encourage customers to come and watch the game in the Pub. However, after just one week of it, the saturation coverage on all forms of the media has become wearisome to the point of depression.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
I imagine similar things could be said about baseball. ("What strategy?? Throw ball, swing bat?").

Or, as the sabre guys say...

Hitters hit, Pitchers pitch.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 am 

Driving to work last week, ESPN doing some sort of World Cup report . . . a coach of some team said that they were travelling to South Africa for their first match hoping for a nil/nil tie. I found that statement to sum up - in large part - my thoughts about soccer. Not only hoping for a tie at the end of an athletic competition but to hope that there is no scoring.

I was in Ireland and Scotland four years ago and found the passion for the sport to be very exciting and fascinating. It is nothing that I had ever seen before or since. That being written, I just am not a fan of the sport. I am not a "hater" of soccer but, to be blunt, I am a "hater" of the soccer fan that wants to shove the sport down my throat. I don't care if people hate, love or are indifferent about baseball . . . I don't see any need to have to defend the sport unless someone asks me why I like it so much. My experience with a large number of soccer fans is that they get angry with you if you don't love the game. I've been hearing for at least 20 years that soccer is on the verge of taking over as the country's second most popular sport behind football. Still waiting . . . .

The overstatement of the case for soccer by the zealots makes me laugh. "Those guys are running hard for 90+ straight minutes . . . how hard do baseball players run?" is my favorite. First, soccer players are not running constantly. Not even close. The notion is laughable. Second, I never argued or claimed that baseball players are in constant motion for nearly three hours. If anyone argued that, they are just as silly as soccer fans claiming that a match is 90+ minutes of constant running. I get the fact that soccer players are in good shape. No doubt about it. However, I don't really care. For me, it is the sport as a whole that I enjoy. 300+ lb. linemen may not be able to run a fast 100 meter dash but I certainly enjoy watching them knock the crap out of an opponent.

At our firm, one of the attorneys was arguably the best high school soccer player to play in history of the State of Iowa. Played at Wake Forest on a full ride and played at some professional level for a couple of years. We kid each other jokingly about baseball (he's a Yankees zealot) v. soccer. Last week, I walked through the copy room/break room to get a cup of coffee. He was in there. I grabbed a mug, spun around, said "hey, Nick," and tossed the mug to him. He caught it. I replied "yep . . . didn't think so. How come you didn't head it to the ground or bounce it on your knees? You know why? Because any sport that doesn't allow humans to use their hands sets us backwards on the evolutionary scale. Its unnatural."

I also kid him that, because his wife is pregnant, that his child will be born with flippers rather than arms and hands. Why does he/she need hands if he/she is going to play soccer? Flippers will be just fine. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:13 am 

Jim Rome on soccer: "Not a sport. Its simply an excuse to riot."

Not a huge Rome fan but I did laugh at that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 pm 

I enjoyed Adam 'Lakers' Carolla's take on Soccer:

'Our 150 pound guys beat your 150 pound guys 1-0, so we're CLEARLY the better team!' :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 pm 

It's easy for us in developed nations to say soccer isn't a real sport. Imagine you grew up in the slums of
Soweto or Bogotá or any number of places in the third world. A ball is everything when other equipment
is so expensive.

The same people who say soccer isn't a sport also say women can't play sports. Jim Rome's show is not a
sports show. How does he feel when people say that?

Having said that, we have a situation in Group A which I don't like. Mexico and Uruguay will both advance
if they play to a draw in their upcoming match. Of course they will. There's no incentive for either team
to take a shot on goal. They should allow free admission to that game.

Carolla is a fool. He isn't even impressed by Manny Pacquiao..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 pm 

Ollie wrote:
It's easy for us in developed nations to say soccer isn't a real sport. Imagine you grew up in the slums of
Soweto or Bogotá or any number of places in the third world. A ball is everything when other equipment
is so expensive.

The same people who say soccer isn't a sport also say women can't play sports. Jim Rome's show is not a
sports show. How does he feel when people say that?

Having said that, we have a situation in Group A which I don't like. Mexico and Uruguay will both advance
if they play to a draw in their upcoming match. Of course they will. There's no incentive for either team
to take a shot on goal. They should allow free admission to that game.

I guess Manny Pacquiao isn't impressive in the eyes of Adam Carolla either. He weighs less than 150.

Probably not, but I did give a chuckle over his comments. True when you think about it.

But I am loving the WC, despite any faults.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Oh, and Lutefisk.

I pay kudos to Silver's post. I was trying to be funny; Argentum succeeded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 am 

In support of number 1, I offer the following:

Holy shit, it's amazing he didn't lose the leg. :D