Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave Littlefield becomes new Steelers GM...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 am 

Promptly trades Santonio Holmes to the Jets for a 5th round pick...

Sadly, I'm only making up one of those two things...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/ ... id=5077088

Post subject: Re: Dave Littlefield becomes new Steelers GM...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 am 

I understand why they did this, but I don't think they got enough. The character issues are part of it, but my guess is he will have a suspension coming up at the beginning of the season. He is also a free agent next year and this move shows they weren't planning on signing him anyway. With Mike Wallace on the outside, a true speed receiver, and now Randle El in the slot, the Steelers are still pretty good at WR. But a fifth round seems low. You think they might have been able to get a third.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 am 

LOL

Typical yinzer reaction. The guy has made one big catch in his career plus he's undersized for the position and he's had a long list of behavior issues.

Draft Jordan Shipley in the third round and plug him in at slot receiver for the next 7 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am 

Holmes is a good receiver but the Steelers have reached their breaking point with these behavioral issues. And good receivers are not that hard to find.

They traded him for a 5th round pick because that's what he is worth right now. Yes, his value is at a low point, but this isn't baseball. They will just invest their money in someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:55 am 

I would be very surprised if Shipley lasts until the 3rd round. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:40 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
LOL

Typical yinzer reaction.

Well, in my mind I had two directions to go:

1. Dave Littlefield shot on a Pirates Board or...
2. 'Steelers face rape charges again, this time at the hands of the Jets'

I feel like I made the better move. 8-)

(EDIT: Also, thanks for calling me a Yinzer! As a person born and raised in WA, now I finally feel like a true Pittsburgher!)

Jeremy wrote:
The guy has made one big catch in his career plus he's undersized for the position and he's had a long list of behavior issues.

Draft Jordan Shipley in the third round and plug him in at slot receiver for the next 7 years.

I hope a WR like Shipley is there, but still... Holmes is an automatic 50-60 REC, 800-1000+ YDS and 5 TD guy.

And he was a 1st round pick. If Braylon Edwards can nab a 3rd rounder (and Moss a 4th rounder years ago), I fail to see how Holmes, problems or not, is only worth a 5th.

I'll feel better after the Big Ben decision and draft, when hopefully it will be clear that Limas 'makes Braylon Edwards look like Dwight Clark' Sweed won't be prominently involved in the WR corps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm 

Draft picks are as precious as gold in the NFL these days (unless you're the Redskins, I guess) but I still think a 5th rounder for Holmes isn't much.

I guess it makes sense if they had absolutely no plan to resign him because they would then be getting a draft pick in return for a guy they were only planning on retaining for 12 games plus the playoffs if they were to make it.

Maybe I just overvalue players.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:03 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
LOL

Typical yinzer reaction.

Well, in my mind I had two directions to go:

1. Dave Littlefield shot on a Pirates Board or...
2. 'Steelers face rape charges again, this time at the hands of the Jets'

I feel like I made the better move. 8-)

(EDIT: Also, thanks for calling me a Yinzer! As a person born and raised in WA, now I finally feel like a true Pittsburgher!)

Jeremy wrote:
The guy has made one big catch in his career plus he's undersized for the position and he's had a long list of behavior issues.

I hope a WR like Shipley is there, but still... Holmes is an automatic 50-60 REC, 800-1000+ YDS and 5 TD guy.

And he was a 1st round pick. If Braylon Edwards can nab a 3rd rounder (and Moss a 4th rounder years ago), I fail to see how Holmes, problems or not, is only worth a 5th.

I'll feel better after the Big Ben decision and draft, when hopefully it will be clear that Limas 'makes Braylon Edwards look like Dwight Clark' Sweed won't be prominently involved in the WR corps.

Which wasn't going to be worth the "top-dollar" kind of deal he was going to go after. When you factor in the 4 game suspension he got nailed with today, this deal makes a little more sense.

Could they have gotten more? Maybe. But if this was a message to Big Ben like many are speculating, then I'll say it was worth every stinking penny to the Steelers.

And I say all of this as a former Steelers fan. I rooted for them when I really felt like they did things "the right way" but those days are long gone and they're like every other team now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 pm 

I take it you just gave up on the NFL in general then?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 am 

The "right way"? Aside from abiding by the laws of the country and the rules of the game, what is the "right way" of doing things in the NFL?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 am 

THE STEELER WAY. --- Dumping Holmes was what they do. That's a good thing. BEN NEEDS SOME DISCIPLINING TOO. He isn't charged with crime but he has violated the Steeler mantra. If they give up on their image, we've lost something special. Time for management to man up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:07 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
THE STEELER WAY. --- Dumping Holmes was what they do. That's a good thing. BEN NEEDS SOME DISCIPLINING TOO. He isn't charged with crime but he has violated the Steeler mantra. If they give up on their image, we've lost something special. Time for management to man up.

No such thing sub. You want proof? Look at James Harrison. Smacked around the mother of his child and got an extension from the Steelers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:59 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

Yeah, it's what they do, after they figure out that the guy is replaceable. If he isn't, then they do something else. See Harrison, James.