Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A good (if a little old) read.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:20 am 

And a reminder that "conservative" used to mean something different than it does today.

http://old.nationalreview.com/novak/novak072902.asp

I remain proud to call myself a Western Pennsylvania Conservative.

Post subject: Re: A good (if a little old) read.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 am 

I suppose you think a liberal group of people would not have done the same thing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am 

Willton wrote:
I suppose you think a liberal group of people would not have done the same thing?

Your statement proves you didn't even read the article. Good job!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:

Your statement proves you didn't even read the article. Good job!

I read the article. It's from 2002, so it's really friggin old, and I can only assume that you decided to cite it now because you're trying to prove a point about conservatives, not cite something that is newsworthy.

Your article tells a story of how a community helped save a group of miners that were trapped in a mine in 2002. In so doing, the article trumpets the virtues displayed by the members of the community as "conservative." And while the article makes the disclaimer that it is not trying to "make a political or economic point" and that such virtues "inspire all, left and right alike," it's disclaimer is disingenuous when it goes on to describe the behavior of the community as "a remarkable display of classic conservative virtues."

It would seem to me that if the author was not trying to "make a political or economic point," then he should have chosen his words better, namely by not injecting the word "conservative" throughout his article. People who write articles without the intention of making a political point tend to write their articles in such a way that they do not have to make such a disclaimer. It reminds me of Glenn Beck when he says things like, "I'm not saying that he is a terrorist. All I'm saying is, why am I the only one asking these questions?"

So again, I ask you: do you think a liberal community of people would not have done the same thing in a similar situation?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35 pm 

I'll answer as soon as you answer why a raging liberal like yourself has quote from a known anti-Semite as his sig line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I'll answer as soon as you answer why a raging liberal like yourself has quote from a known anti-Semite as his sig line.

Um, perhaps it's because he was not an anti-Semite and I'm not a raging liberal? Maybe that's the reason.

I suppose the next thing you'll ask me is when I stopped beating my wife.