Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big East
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm 

Anyone watching this basketball. No one can tell me that there is another conference even close to this. WOW

Double bye is not working at all. First two quarterfinalists were upset and now pitt is behind ND by 5 in the second half. Unreal

My team WVU is next up and Higgins has aready commented several times that he doesn't like the double bye system. looks like he had reason to be concerned. Now they must overcome what was supposed to be an advantage.

BTW, Pitt and WVU are scheduled to play Friday night if they can both survive this mess.

Post subject: Re: Big East
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:05 pm 

The Big East teams are very good, Every year there is a stinker or two, but really there are 10 or 11 teams that could win most other conferences.

My 'Cuse went down hard, but it means more rest for the Big Dance. Unfortunately, our center went down, too which means probably a Sweet 16 appearance then done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:35 pm 

I don't like the double bye either. You have 16 teams, just play a straight up single elimination tournament.

Pitt choked last night but it's no big deal. I just hope they win a game or two in the big dance to put the capper on a season that has greatly exceeded expectations. Who knows, they might make a run. You never know what you're going to get with these guys, but they've played well most of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:34 am 

When you know you're in the NCAA tournament, these tournaments don't really matter that much. I would hate to see Dixon go down, for example, in the Big East tournament and then miss the big dance due to injury.

It's one thing if you're fighting for your right to play in the NCAA tournament like Illinois was today. Otherwise, though, I think they're overrated and don't matter much. They are fun TV though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:36 pm 

I know none of you care but my Mounties are about to tip it off in the finals and may just end up with a number 1 seed. That would be a first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 pm 

NDL wrote:
When you know you're in the NCAA tournament, these tournaments don't really matter that much. I would hate to see Dixon go down, for example, in the Big East tournament and then miss the big dance due to injury.

It's one thing if you're fighting for your right to play in the NCAA tournament like Illinois was today. Otherwise, though, I think they're overrated and don't matter much. They are fun TV though.

I know that you're right about conference tournaments, but I gotta tell you, short of a Final Four appearance, I'd rather win the Big East tourney.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:19 am 

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Pitt to have won the Big East tournament, I just hate to hear things like what happened to the 'Cuse center.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 am 

For what it's worth I filled my brackets.. I've got a final four of
Kansas, Pitt, Kentucky, and Notre Dame. Kentucky to beat Pitt
in the final. And I didn't even think of this board when I filled it
out.. just relied on feeling. lol One of my rules is I always include
one Big East school.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:33 pm 

The Big East is looking real bad. 1-3 with all three losing to lower seeds and Nova had to go to OT to beat a 15 seed. I hope Pitt, Cuse, WVU and Ville have better luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:01 am 

Yeah I sure hope tomorrow doesn't turn out like today did for the Big East.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am 

Most overrated conference in America hands down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:41 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Gimme a break. Over a full season, the eight teams in the Big East that made the tourney would win or be at the top of every league. The talent level isn't comparable. They just had a bad day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:02 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Gimme a break. Over a full season, the eight teams in the Big East that made the tourney would win or be at the top of every league. The talent level isn't comparable. They just had a bad day.

BB -
Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Pittsburgh and Villanova would either win or be at the top of any league in the country.
I respectfully disagree about Notre Dame, Marquette and Louisville. They'd be good teams but I'm not willing to concede that they'd finish above Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State or Purdue (assuming a healthy Hummel) in the Big 10. And, by writing that, I'm not saying that they'd be dominated, I'm simply claiming that they'd have their hands full in many Big 10 arenas. I'd also put Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and a healthy Purdue against any of the top 5 Big East teams this year. Not saying that they'd dominate or even win the majority of the games; just saying that it would make for some very entertaining and close basketball games.
The Big East is deep. The Big East is a great basketball conference. However, the media love fest with the Big East is almost Tebowesque and, for those of us who do not worship at the Big East basketball alter, a bit tiresome and over the top.
I am not one who is going to judge a conference by one day in a lose-and-out tournament. The Big East has done well today. Pitt, WVU and Syracuse beat up on teams that they should have beat up on. Louisville is losing right now (I soooo hate Pitino) and, if it stays that way, the Big East will be 4-4 after round one. I fully expect them to go no worse than 3-1 in the second round. The Big East is fine; just a tough day. However, yesterday goes to show that good basketball is indeed played by teams who aren't in the Big East conference.

Your point is well-taken . . . anyone attempting to throw the Big East under the bus after yesterday is simply being a reactionist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:22 am 

No. 9, yes the Big East gets hyped by the media, but that doesn't diminish how good the conference is. See Tim Tebow.

My point was that those four teams would be in the mix to win any league including the Big 10. Doesn't mean they would win, but they would be right there. Same goes for the ACC, Big 12, SEC.

The fact that three of those teams won in the quarterfinals of the BE Tourney illustrates my point. The league kills each other all season long. Go look at Georgetown's schedule. The the fact the BE has a gigantic out-of-conference win percentage makes my point even more.

I know its not the only basketball out there, but there is no doubt it is the best league and the one bad day doesn't mean those teams didn't deserve to be there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:27 am 

After 3 days of the NCAA tournament.....still the most overrated conference in America.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:53 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
After 3 days of the NCAA tournament.....still the most overrated conference in America.

As a whole? I disagree on that.

The Big East is a very competitive basketball conference. I'm not sure that it's the best. You get a lot of conflicting opinions on that. Some would say ACC, others Big East. I think, clearly, it's a short list that you look at in this discussion and the Big East makes the list for sure.

As a whole, the Big 10 is probably the most overrated conference. They get hyped by the media in both football and basketball. Football wise, the Big 10 wasn't any more competitive than the Big East this year. They did have a better team at the top but the Big East had better teams in the middle and probably more competition within the league all year. Basketball wise the Big 10 is no great shakes but they do get media hype.

Nobody cares about Big East football and so if you want to say most overrated conference, I think the Big 10 is currently the choice. They're hyped whether they're good or not. The Big East is hyped in basketball where they are good but not in football where they really weren't any worse than the Big 10 last season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 am 

NDL wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

As a whole? I disagree on that.

The Big East is a very competitive basketball conference. I'm not sure that it's the best. You get a lot of conflicting opinions on that. Some would say ACC, others Big East. I think, clearly, it's a short list that you look at in this discussion and the Big East makes the list for sure.

As a whole, the Big 10 is probably the most overrated conference. They get hyped by the media in both football and basketball. Football wise, the Big 10 wasn't any more competitive than the Big East this year. They did have a better team at the top but the Big East had better teams in the middle and probably more competition within the league all year. Basketball wise the Big 10 is no great shakes but they do get media hype.

Nobody cares about Big East football and so if you want to say most overrated conference, I think the Big 10 is currently the choice. They're hyped whether they're good or not. The Big East is hyped in basketball where they are good but not in football where they really weren't any worse than the Big 10 last season.

We're talking about basketball.....as the Big East was clearly overrated this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

Jeremy wrote:
We're talking about basketball.....as the Big East was clearly overrated this year.

I couldn't disagree more. A weekend of basketball can't replace what a conference did for an entire year. I got into an argument today with a Northern Iowa fan. He went as far as saying the Panthers would easily have been a top 3 team in the Big 12. Really? You won a toss-up game with UNLV and then played the game of your life against a Kansas team that didn't show up.

In conferences like the Big East and Big 12, you don't have any room to breath. You go from game-to-game against good teams in great arenas or great teams in great arenas. When teams get to the Big Dance you can lay it all on the line and throw everything at your opponent. You rarely...very rarely see Cinderella get past the Sweet 16 because the bigger teams have a chance to prepare for their opponents.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:16 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. A weekend of basketball can't replace what a conference did for an entire year. I got into an argument today with a Northern Iowa fan. He went as far as saying the Panthers would easily have been a top 3 team in the Big 12. Really? You won a toss-up game with UNLV and then played the game of your life against a Kansas team that didn't show up.

In conferences like the Big East and Big 12, you don't have any room to breath. You go from game-to-game against good teams in great arenas or great teams in great arenas. When teams get to the Big Dance you can lay it all on the line and throw everything at your opponent. You rarely...very rarely see Cinderella get past the Sweet 16 because the bigger teams have a chance to prepare for their opponents.

Nope sorry....that's a tired excuse that most fans have started to see right through. The Big East was overhyped by the Eastern media and then exposed for the soft conference that they were. As far as the Big 12 goes, well everyone knows just how sad that conference was from the get go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Keep telling yourself that, maybe someone will believe you... someday.

ZM