Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold medal game
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm 

All I can say is wow!!! OT after an amazing goal with the netminder pulled! National pride has me cheering for the US, but Penguin pride has me cheering on Crosby. Sorry Sid...by National pride wins out. Let's go USA!!!! Win it in OT!

Post subject: Re: Gold medal game
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 pm 

Crosby is just plain sick. Great finish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm 

Great game.. I was in a crowded Harry Buffalo.. man that place went nuts when Parise scored to tie it with 24 seconds..

Memorable game. Only thing is my wife is mad as hell because I asked her to drop me off there to watch the end. She totally doesn't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 pm 

SIDNEY lalalalalala CROSBY...

sorry US i was all CANADA on this...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:22 pm 

Well if Team USA was going to lose, let it be Crosby who does it for Canada. Great game and the Americans should be proud.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:35 pm 

Mixed emotions...rooting for the US.....but I'm not real upset.
I'm a Pens fan first...and I did not jump up and down when Sid scored, but its not like losing in the final to Detroit. In fact sometimes when the US scored, it was hard to get excited for a player on a team you root against (like the Devils) scoring for your country team
It was great to watch, but my passion now shifts back to the Pens
Lets Go Pens

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 am 

Great game all around. The US can't take this as a lose because both teams walked away winners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 am 

Very casual fan of hockey. I do like the Pens and like everyone else "The Kid" is easy to support. I gotta say, that his heroics brought me off the couch. Pretty neat. I was also routing for the U.S. but was also pulling for the Pens players.

Makes me want to be a more active Pens fan. It amazes me how Crosby can and does always rise up and accept the challanges for him. To say he's blessed is an understatement. What a nice feeling, especially for a suffering Pirate fan Go Sid ;) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm 

That goal actually caused me to defriend someone on Facebook. Right after Crosby scored, he posted something pretty deragatory about "The Kid" so I had to ditch him. Sounds silly I know, but this guy had it coming.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I've been listening to sports radio most of this morning (slow day at the office) and they have been debating whether this will bump ratings and attendance for the NHL. I consider myself a sports fanatic but would rank hockey near the bottom of my sport list. I guess there will probably be an immediate jump in excitement for the sport but I don't see it becoming too mainstream. Unless you live in a city where hockey is a main attraction (Pittsburgh, Detroit, etc) I see the buzz dying quickly. What are your thoughts?

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:36 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I've been listening to sports radio most of this morning (slow day at the office) and they have been debating whether this will bump ratings and attendance for the NHL. I consider myself a sports fanatic but would rank hockey near the bottom of my sport list. I guess there will probably be an immediate jump in excitement for the sport but I don't see it becoming too mainstream. Unless you live in a city where hockey is a main attraction (Pittsburgh, Detroit, etc) I see the buzz dying quickly. What are your thoughts?

The NHL needs to go back ESPN. I cant complain about the Versus network, but it is not mainstream like ESPN and there is no promotion for it. If the games were on ESPN, they would show more highlights, have more of the talk shows cover it, give it the usual ESPN hype/promotion and more people would know about it and it would become a bigger attraction, but still have limitations. The reason why the NHL is not on ESPN was money. Versus offered more. It is the same reason why the NHL expanded into markets(mainly southern) that dont care about hockey. Hockey is not played by most kids in the US and thus it will always lag football, baseball(thats not the case in the Pgh area)per popularity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Very casual fan of hockey. I do like the Pens and like everyone else "The Kid" is easy to support. I gotta say, that his heroics brought me off the couch. Pretty neat. I was also routing for the U.S. but was also pulling for the Pens players.

Makes me want to be a more active Pens fan. It amazes me how Crosby can and does always rise up and accept the challanges for him. To say he's blessed is an understatement. What a nice feeling, especially for a suffering Pirate fan Go Sid ;) ;)

And he is 22.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm 

Well... I shouted so loud 'CROSBY SCORES" and yelled so hard, my beloved neighbours are still in shock after this late after midnight goal...

Offcourse for me it was the PENS players i rooted for and did not really care who would win.. well not completely true..
Canada had the slight advantage.. and Crosby > Orpik so....

But i think my neigbours here are already going nuts the last years with my beamer on bigscreen and dolby surround with huge subwoofer on for every important Pittsburgh game.. and ofcourse always way after midnight when there was celebration...

Because maybe there are some other pittsburgh fans around Holland, the centre of maniacism is right here...
My dog was black and gold when Cowher won his SB, My house was completely black N gold with last SB..
Pens Stanleys in '90 & '91 when i was a little boy (12) i made everybody watch.. and ofcourse last Stanley Cup when
really all my friends (even the haters) were there and held a stanley cup midnight barbeque every game.... WILD!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.