Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FSN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm 

NDL wrote:
If that's the case, there's no way Rutgers is as good for the Big 10 as some make it out to be. If you can define the Rutgers market as encompassing NYC, the only way you are going to help yourself is if the Big 10 Network is not a premium channel and then only how many sets in the area matters. Since I am assuming it would be considered a premium channel under the framework you provided, Rutgers doesn't add anything to the Big 10 because people would have to WANT to watch them.

I don't care what anybody says: nobody in NYC cares about Rutgers. Not many people in NJ really care about them either, from my experience.

If that's the criteria, I would think Pitt would be better for the Big 10 but still not as good as some of the other available options. I would imagine Missouri could bring a larger market than Pitt.

Also, I don't think Joe Paterno is going to hold back Pitt going to the Big 10. If it doesn't happen, I would bet good money it won't be because of him. As much as he wouldn't like to play Pitt again, he won't have the choice because it's not coaches who vote for schools to be admitted to the conference and at this point I doubt he has the sway to keep Pitt out.

Nobody at Penn State has the balls to say "no" to Joe Paterno. Not the A.D., not the Board of Trustees, not even the President of the University. There was a little talk of the PA legislature forcing Penn State to face Pitt every year some years back (both are state schools, and Pitt would benefit financially from such an arrangement), but it never got past the talk stage because of Paterno's influence with PA Republicans. Paterno will decide how Penn State votes.

I think that the Big 10's first choice should be Notre Dame, then Missouri, then Pitt. I'd rather not see Pitt leave the Big East unless it was a package deal that included West Virginia, and that isn't going to happen with the Big 10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:24 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

What is the benefit to PSU? They put 100k+ in the seats. Pitt puts 35K.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:26 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
The problem is that nobody in NJ gives a damn about Rutgers.

They'll give a damn the minute tOSU, Wisconsin, and PSU come to town.

Quote:
And the Rutgers fan base will? Please. Besides, taking Rutgers means that they're looking for a punching bag, not a competitor.

They do, if you watched the past Rutger's bowl teams in the last couple years. Certainly moreso than Pitt. Rutgers football is not a punching bag anymore if you haven't noticed. This team, right now, is better than NWestern, Indiana, and probably Minnesota.

Quote:
I don't want Pitt to go to the Big 10, but I have nothing to worry about. Paterno will never let it happen.

JoePa has no say in the league matters.

Quote:
BE needs to be proactive and poach two more football programs with respectable BB.

ZM

I agree, but who? Do you have any suggestions?[/quote]

Yep. First thing I do is see if Villanova will go the Connecticut route to DI. They can do it. They have a nice football history and a fan base on the western side of Philly.

Next, I look to get some schools that need a BCS bid and can compete a bit. TCU comes to mind.

BC is not happy in the ACC, so I hear. Get them back into the fold. The only reason they left was because they wanted a football only conference. To this end, I put all the football schools in one division, all BB in the other. Ultimately this leads to a natural split.

Next, I push for a big rivalry team that comes from a power conference, but that might view the BE as a better fit. Think Kentucky here. They are a BB school that struggles in the SEC football powerhouse. To them, the BE would be a step UP and give their football team instant competitiveness. They also get a natural permanent rivalry with Louisville.

Failing any one of these, I recruit a UCF or a Tulsa.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:23 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
What is the benefit to PSU? They put 100k+ in the seats. Pitt puts 35K.

ZM

It doesn't matter who they play from PSU's standpoint. The fact that they'd sooner play Eastern Mongolia Normal than Pitt says a lot about Paterno's ability to hold a grudge when anyone doesn't just kiss his has and do what he tells them to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm 

I had an elaborate point for point reply, but I keep screwing up the formatting, lol.

People in NY or NJ think that the Allegheny Mountains are there to keep folks from accidentally rolling off of the edge of the earth. The Big 10 mystique holds no sway on the east coast.

Paterno will decide how Penn State votes, and he is highly respected. His influence could sway a close vote.

You have some interesting ideas for the Big East, but I have my doubts that any of them would be enough to save the Big East as a BCS conference.

BC was insane to leave the Big East.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 am 

Paterno's influence at Penn State is waning.

If this was 1995 I would agree with you. At this point, people aren't going to be swayed by someone who they know doesn't have much time left. He's done great things for Penn State and put them on the map. Everybody knows that. By now, though, Penn State is bigger than Joe Paterno. That wasn't always the case.

Also, it sounds like you're friends with some Penn State fans. I am too. It's amazing that they all follow the program to a hardcore level but can't see through the fog with Paterno. The administration there isn't going to be swayed by someone who is biding time on such an important issue. If they don't want Pitt in the Big 10 for some odd reason, they'll make it happen for their own reasons without Paterno's influence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:14 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Not true. Ever since Rutgers started winning football games, college football has become much more popular in NJ, especially among those who live in South Jersey and in and around New Brunswick, which is where Rutgers main campus is. Furthermore, since there is only one other big to mid-size university in NJ that has an existing football team, let alone a respectable one, Rutgers has very little competition regarding local college football. While professional football is still king in Jersey, there is plenty of support for the Scarlet Knights when they win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm 

NDL wrote:

If this was 1995 I would agree with you. At this point, people aren't going to be swayed by someone who they know doesn't have much time left. He's done great things for Penn State and put them on the map. Everybody knows that. By now, though, Penn State is bigger than Joe Paterno. That wasn't always the case.

Also, it sounds like you're friends with some Penn State fans. I am too. It's amazing that they all follow the program to a hardcore level but can't see through the fog with Paterno. The administration there isn't going to be swayed by someone who is biding time on such an important issue. If they don't want Pitt in the Big 10 for some odd reason, they'll make it happen for their own reasons without Paterno's influence.

The administration (A.D and the Chancellor, I believe it was) went to Paterno's house a few years back to tell him that it was time to step down. Paterno ran them off. He's still coaching, and that was more than 5 years ago.

That said, I think that he's handed off a lot of his responsibilities to his assistants over the last few years. But don't kid yourself about his influence in college football. He still carries a big stick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 pm 

Willton wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Not true. Ever since Rutgers started winning football games, college football has become much more popular in NJ, especially among those who live in South Jersey and in and around New Brunswick, which is where Rutgers main campus is. Furthermore, since there is only one other big to mid-size university in NJ that has an existing football team, let alone a respectable one, Rutgers has very little competition regarding local college football. While professional football is still king in Jersey, there is plenty of support for the Scarlet Knights when they win.

And how many games will they be winning in the Big 10? My guess is not many, in the long run. If they aspire to being the next Northwestern, have fun, because I think that's how they'll end up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 am 

sisyphus wrote:
NDL wrote:

The administration (A.D and the Chancellor, I believe it was) went to Paterno's house a few years back to tell him that it was time to step down. Paterno ran them off. He's still coaching, and that was more than 5 years ago.

That said, I think that he's handed off a lot of his responsibilities to his assistants over the last few years. But don't kid yourself about his influence in college football. He still carries a big stick.

Well, his position is head coach but he doesn't coach football anymore. His assistants are top notch (sans his own flesh and blood) and they run the team. I'm skeptical about how much influence he has anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Willton wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

And how many games will they be winning in the Big 10? My guess is not many, in the long run. If they aspire to being the next Northwestern, have fun, because I think that's how they'll end up.

I'm not saying that it would be a good idea for Rutgers to move to the Big 10. I'm just saying that your characterization of how much folks from NJ care about RU or its football team is off base.