Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tiger Woods Press Conference(or public statement)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 pm 

He did a good job with his speech but I don't really care about all that BS, I just want to know when he is going to play again. The sooner the better.

Asking the papparazzi to back off is like trying to ask a tick to stop trying to burrow into your skin. Good luck with that one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 pm 

No matter what he says, most people have made their mind up before he said word one, so it does not make a difference what he says. I want to see him back on the tour. I want to see him break the record for Majors...and see how he reacts to what will be a circus with all his haters. It will sure make a stuffy boring game to watch much more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm 

estrago wrote:
Tiger Woods is one of the most famous people in the world. There is going to be hype. If some no name on the PGA tour or some other lesser known athlete had done the same thing as Tiger did, who would care? I'll be tuned in. The PGA and the networks need Tiger. He is golf. When he plays and is in contention, it means rating and money. His sex problem will make him even more of a freak show/train wreck that will attract more attention. I cant wait till he is on the tour and how he will react when he hears all the wise cracks from the crowd. This should be good.

If I was Tiger, here is what I would do.

1. Publicly apologize to my wife and family.
2. Apologize to my sponsors.
3. Get back to golfing.
4. Answer any media questions having anything to do with his sex life with, "It's none of your goddam business."

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts. The only interaction I'm ever going to have with any of them concerns their job performance, and nothing else. I was watching a news report on this circus where they gathered some college women's golf team together to watch it and then asked for their reactions. Two of them were in tears. Frankly, if I was a parent of either of them I'd be trying to get them into therapy, because that is nuts. People should spend a lot more time worrying about their own lives, and none at all worrying about what public figures do in their private time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts.

Just because you feel that way, the masses dont. If the masses would feel the same way, every single major network would not break into their scheduled programs to show this. Good thing you are not in charge of a major network, you'd have missed the boat. The bigger or the more famous the person, the more people care. Add to that a sex scandal and you have a train wreck, a freak show....and the public wants get as much and watch as much as they can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm 

estrago wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts.

Just because you feel that way, the masses dont.

That's fine, the masses have demonstrated what idiots they are over and over again throughout my lifetime. If you don't agree, then pick a year and look at the list of #1 singles in music for that year. Some of them will make you wonder how we've managed to survive this long as a species. And if that isn't enough to convince you, just take a look at Pittsburgh's Mayor.

Quote:
If the masses would feel the same way, every single major network would not break into their scheduled programs to show this.

I understand that is how the masses feel. What I don't understand is WHY they feel that way.

Quote:
Good thing you are not in charge of a major network, you'd have missed the boat.

No, I wouldn't. I'd have covered it, then puked.

Quote:
The bigger or the more famous the person, the more people care. Add to that a sex scandal and you have a train wreck, a freak show....and the public wants get as much and watch as much as they can.

Yes, I know that. My question is WHY.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm 

Here is a link that may explain some of the reasons why.

http://www.helium.com/items/1601563-why ... elebrities

Ask yourself this....why do we become a fan of a sports team and care and get exited or feel down depending on what they do? We identify with a team or a person. Some people feel we are idiots for being a fan of sports. If you look at what matters in society, sports are nothing more than entertainment and the best athletes who can hit a baseball or throw a football are paid alot of money compared to a Doctor or Engineer. Are we idiots for placing such a high value on athletes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm 

Once an athlete becomes famous with lots of money in his or her wallet, their privacy no longer exists. I don't care for it, but that's what our society has become. We live in a world where everyone wants their fifteen minutes of fame and everyone wants to tear down the person they spent days, months or years building up.

Having said that, I don't feel sorry for Tiger in any way, shape or form. He's a scumbag whose wife should have the courage to leave and take half his money and their children with her. Great golfer? Absolutely. Great human being? Not even close.