Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger Woods Press Conference(or public statement)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm 

Tiger Woods is one of the most famous people in the world. There is going to be hype. If some no name on the PGA tour or some other lesser known athlete had done the same thing as Tiger did, who would care? I'll be tuned in. The PGA and the networks need Tiger. He is golf. When he plays and is in contention, it means rating and money. His sex problem will make him even more of a freak show/train wreck that will attract more attention. I cant wait till he is on the tour and how he will react when he hears all the wise cracks from the crowd. This should be good.

Post subject: Re: Tiger Woods Press Conference(or public statement)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:42 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4924113

Ernie Els? You are nothing. Tiger is GOLF ! Even if what you say is true, you & most of the tour can moan all you want.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 am 

My opinion on this is that it's really none of the public's business.

Tiger Woods has to answer to these people:

1. Family and maybe friends. Definitely in this case, he's got to answer to his wife. She's the one that he did wrong by and she's the one who he needs to apologize to on a daily basis. He may owe an apology to his family and friends for causing them shame but certainly the focus is on his wife to me.

2. He has to answer to his sponsors. They pay him and so they aren't going to want to proceed with someone as a sponsor for them if they feel that the risk is going to outweigh the benefit. Is Tiger on that level? I don't think so because he's quite possibly the most recognizable athlete in the world right now, clearly the sole leader at the top of his sport, and the star of a huge fan base. The sponsors don't need an apology from Woods; they'll let him know whether they want to continue their business relationship and/or if any of his actions have compromised that relationship.

Tiger doesn't owe the public an apology. He didn't do anything to any of us. Children may look up to him as a role model but that doesn't mean he needs to apologize to the parent who tells his son or daughter they can one day be just like Tiger. For one, that's appointing a role model who is improper (and that could be a whole other topic to address here) and secondly, this is a highly personal matter which has become highly public and the actions themselves are not tied to Tiger's stardom. Steroids in baseball, for example, is a different matter and a highly public situation in and of itself.

I don't think I will be watching. I don't care what he says. I don't care what he's done. It's his and his family's business to work it out. I'll be more inclined to watch him for the athlete that he is when he gets back on tour. Even then I don't watch much golf, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:42 am 
 WWW  Profile

In my opinion it isn't an apology he owes the public, he needs to get his ass on the golf course. He needs to field answers from the media, not give a scripted speech that a PR firm wrote. Look, Tiger Woods gets his money from you and I. We buy tickets to golf tournaments, watch him on TV, buy his products, and use his products. He is a public figure. He needs to play in every golf tournament he can because the minute he does people will slowly start to forget. We (the public) tend to remember the people that deny, deny, deny but we are very sympathetic to people that man-up to their mistakes and don't shy away from them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am 

Sure Tiger has to reconcile with his wife/family/friends first and that does not have to be in the public. By the same token, Tiger Woods is an icon, one of the most famous people on the earth today. He could just show up and play golf and the same writers and golfers would call him selfish for not making a public statement/appearance before he returned to the tour.
All I know is that when he does return, he is going to be watched even more than he was before. There will be additional viewers who will want to see Tiger fail. I still want to see Tiger win the most majors ever and continue to be the #1 golfer.
In a twisted way he is the Happy Gilmore of golf....a freak show-train wreck....and the public wants as much of that as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:55 am 
 WWW  Profile

estrago wrote:
All I know is that when he does return, he is going to be watched even more than he was before. There will be additional viewers who will want to see Tiger fail.

Maybe Tiger is turning into the Notre Dame of golf. The sport is certainly better when he is winning and dominating but people also tune in to watch him lose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:10 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Maybe Tiger is turning into the Notre Dame of golf. The sport is certainly better when he is winning and dominating but people also tune in to watch him lose.

He is the Bret Favre, Notre Dame, NY Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, LA Lakers of golf. Like him or hate him, people want to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm 

We are just a small sample on here who doesn't feel he needs to apologize to the public but the impression I get from TV and people in general are that he owes them something. That's kind of how people are these days, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 pm 

I will preface this by saying that I have never been a Tiger Woods fan. In fact my favorite live golf experience was watching him at the Phoenix Open a few years back and seeing him skull#$ck a fairway wood and watching it dribble about 75 yards down the fairway. I heard most of his scripted "speech" today and all I could think is wah wah wah. Then he got testy with the media. Boy there is a surprise. He had the world by the A$$ and unfortunately his qwest for more of the same was his downfall.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm 

It wasn't the best and it was 100% scripted but i think it was a good decision and time to do this. I would give his speech about a B.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 pm 

He did a good job with his speech but I don't really care about all that BS, I just want to know when he is going to play again. The sooner the better.

Asking the papparazzi to back off is like trying to ask a tick to stop trying to burrow into your skin. Good luck with that one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 pm 

No matter what he says, most people have made their mind up before he said word one, so it does not make a difference what he says. I want to see him back on the tour. I want to see him break the record for Majors...and see how he reacts to what will be a circus with all his haters. It will sure make a stuffy boring game to watch much more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm 

estrago wrote:
Tiger Woods is one of the most famous people in the world. There is going to be hype. If some no name on the PGA tour or some other lesser known athlete had done the same thing as Tiger did, who would care? I'll be tuned in. The PGA and the networks need Tiger. He is golf. When he plays and is in contention, it means rating and money. His sex problem will make him even more of a freak show/train wreck that will attract more attention. I cant wait till he is on the tour and how he will react when he hears all the wise cracks from the crowd. This should be good.

If I was Tiger, here is what I would do.

1. Publicly apologize to my wife and family.
2. Apologize to my sponsors.
3. Get back to golfing.
4. Answer any media questions having anything to do with his sex life with, "It's none of your goddam business."

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts. The only interaction I'm ever going to have with any of them concerns their job performance, and nothing else. I was watching a news report on this circus where they gathered some college women's golf team together to watch it and then asked for their reactions. Two of them were in tears. Frankly, if I was a parent of either of them I'd be trying to get them into therapy, because that is nuts. People should spend a lot more time worrying about their own lives, and none at all worrying about what public figures do in their private time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts.

Just because you feel that way, the masses dont. If the masses would feel the same way, every single major network would not break into their scheduled programs to show this. Good thing you are not in charge of a major network, you'd have missed the boat. The bigger or the more famous the person, the more people care. Add to that a sex scandal and you have a train wreck, a freak show....and the public wants get as much and watch as much as they can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 pm 

estrago wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I do not understand why anyone watched this on Friday. I could care less what any athlete, politician or celebrity does with his or her naughty parts.

Just because you feel that way, the masses dont.

That's fine, the masses have demonstrated what idiots they are over and over again throughout my lifetime. If you don't agree, then pick a year and look at the list of #1 singles in music for that year. Some of them will make you wonder how we've managed to survive this long as a species. And if that isn't enough to convince you, just take a look at Pittsburgh's Mayor.

Quote:
If the masses would feel the same way, every single major network would not break into their scheduled programs to show this.

I understand that is how the masses feel. What I don't understand is WHY they feel that way.

Quote:
Good thing you are not in charge of a major network, you'd have missed the boat.

No, I wouldn't. I'd have covered it, then puked.

Quote:
The bigger or the more famous the person, the more people care. Add to that a sex scandal and you have a train wreck, a freak show....and the public wants get as much and watch as much as they can.

Yes, I know that. My question is WHY.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm 

Here is a link that may explain some of the reasons why.

http://www.helium.com/items/1601563-why ... elebrities

Ask yourself this....why do we become a fan of a sports team and care and get exited or feel down depending on what they do? We identify with a team or a person. Some people feel we are idiots for being a fan of sports. If you look at what matters in society, sports are nothing more than entertainment and the best athletes who can hit a baseball or throw a football are paid alot of money compared to a Doctor or Engineer. Are we idiots for placing such a high value on athletes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm 

Once an athlete becomes famous with lots of money in his or her wallet, their privacy no longer exists. I don't care for it, but that's what our society has become. We live in a world where everyone wants their fifteen minutes of fame and everyone wants to tear down the person they spent days, months or years building up.

Having said that, I don't feel sorry for Tiger in any way, shape or form. He's a scumbag whose wife should have the courage to leave and take half his money and their children with her. Great golfer? Absolutely. Great human being? Not even close.