Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: There is only so much figure skating...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I like the figure skating too but for the same reason race fans watch NASCAR, the wipeouts. Cue the Surfaris. And there were plenty of them last night. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yeah, I think I'd be tempted to watch more figure skating if Brooks Orpik were hiding behind the wall and would occasionally jump over the boards and throw a check into the skaters. Preferably while they were skating backwards towards him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That's the spirit!

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 am 

One of the greatest Olympic moments I can recall was seeing Frank Shorter win the gold in the marathon in 1972. I was pretty young and was awed at how well he ran.

And for those of you who watched that race (Az, Mike, Sub, etc.), you will remember one of the worst injustices in the Olympics. Some idiot wearing a phony racing bib, shorts and tank top ran into Munich's stadium ahead of Shorter, to the thunderous applause of the crowd awaiting the marathon winner.

Shorter thought for sure that he was winning the race, enters the stadium to tepid applause (since the asshole faker who ran in with the phony bib drew the lion's share of applause), and is looking around in bewilderment, wondering who the hell the other guy is.

It was great watching Shorter run with the lead pack for 18 miles, then break away and take a commanding lead. The '72 games were fraught with tragedy (the Palestinian terrorists murdering Israeli athletes), controvery (the bogus multiple-endings to the Soviet-US basketball game), and Shorter's race made me feel better about the games.

To this day, I pray that the asswipe who ran into the stadium and stole Shorter's victory lap answers for his idiocy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 am 

The basketball game was the killer in that Olympics. Hank Iba should have been banished to Ok. Oh that is where he was from. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The basketball game was the killer in that Olympics. Hank Iba should have been banished to Ok. Oh that is where he was from. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yep ... he walks onto the court from the stands and starts dictating to the official that 3 seconds should be put on the clock.

Though in fact, the Soviets did not call timeout, inbounded the ball, took a shot and missed. Game freaking OVER.