Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: There is only so much figure skating...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

... I can watch at one sitting. So, I thought instead, that I might ask everyone to share the single most exciting, thrilling Olympic moment you have seen.

Mine?

Watching Franz Klammer's "I know I am going to die on the next mogul" downhill run for the gold. I have never seen someone push so far to the edge in such a pressure cooker, and pull out a gold doing it. Absolutely thrilling.

And you?

ZM

Post subject: Re: There is only so much figure skating...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 am 

Eddie the Eagle on the ski jump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 am 

I watched some of the women's mogul on Saturday Night...I was impressed with the American who had the pig tails sticking out her helmet...She destroyed the course...

I actually like to watch the Curling competition...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm 

see my post "2010 Winter Olympics" for mine.

I can't believe any one old enough would have a different memorable moment.

Maybe we should combine mine into yours since they are related?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
... I can watch at one sitting. So, I thought instead, that I might ask everyone to share the single most exciting, thrilling Olympic moment you have seen.

Mine?

Watching Franz Klammer's "I know I am going to die on the next mogul" downhill run for the gold. I have never seen someone push so far to the edge in such a pressure cooker, and pull out a gold doing it. Absolutely thrilling.

And you?

ZM

Not only do I remember that, I wrote a paper on it in college back in 1980.

Then the Americans beat the Russians in hockey to take the top spot.

So far this year, watching the two Koreans wipe out to give the silver and bronze medals to Americans was a lot of fun. I really enjoy watching that short track speed skating. Also, the performance by the Americans finishing 2nd, 4th and 6th in the Nordic combined was very exciting. Especially the guy who finished sixth, who had to come back from starting with a 40 second deficit. Fantastic.

I also always get a big kick watching the athletes parade into the stadium at the opening ceremonies. A lot of them, probably MOST of them, know that they aren't going to get anywhere near a medal, like the guy from India who rides a luge, so that is their big moment. Watching their faces as they march in is always a highlight for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Sisy,

You're a sentimentalist... :o

Ono must be the luckiest medal winner ever, is what I was thinking during his run.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Sisy,

You're a sentimentalist... :o

Ono must be the luckiest medal winner ever, is what I was thinking during his run.

ZM

A sentimentalist? Nope. I'm a total romantic. I always take Kleenex to movies, and I never play really good classical music (like Beethoven's 9th, for example) when I drive, because I'll end up having to pull over. Not that anyone would believe any of that, given my baseball posts. :)

I also have a tremendous amount of respect for the guys I played football and baseball with, the kinds of guys who knew that they were never, ever going to get into a game that wasn't a total blowout, but stuck it out through practice after practice, never complaining. I don't know if I could have done that.

You can certainly say that Ono was lucky that two guys fell in front of him. On the other hand, you could say that he was unlucky to have one Korean hold onto his leg while the other two zipped past. I call that fall justice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm 

I like watching ladies figure skating and I love Michelle Kwan, but we still don't have the converter things so we have no TV. But I can watch stuff online. My wife and kid hate sports and I have no friends, so I am always alone in my sports watching (now you all know why I am so cranky all the time!)

I'm cheering for Yu-na Kim of South Korea, and all the hockey teams with Montreal Canadiens (Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, Belorus & Switzerland.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 am 

Ollie wrote:
I like watching ladies figure skating and I love Michelle Kwan, but we still don't have the converter things so we have no TV. But I can watch stuff online. My wife and kid hate sports and I have no friends, so I am always alone in my sports watching (now you all know why I am so cranky all the time!)

I'm cheering for Yu-na Kim of South Korea, and all the hockey teams with Montreal Canadiens (Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, Belorus & Switzerland.)

Well your not the only one Ollie, my favorite i believe is also the figure skating. I've enjoyed watching it since i was little.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 pm 

I like the figure skating too but for the same reason race fans watch NASCAR, the wipeouts. Cue the Surfaris. And there were plenty of them last night. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I like the figure skating too but for the same reason race fans watch NASCAR, the wipeouts. Cue the Surfaris. And there were plenty of them last night. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yeah, I think I'd be tempted to watch more figure skating if Brooks Orpik were hiding behind the wall and would occasionally jump over the boards and throw a check into the skaters. Preferably while they were skating backwards towards him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That's the spirit!

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 am 

One of the greatest Olympic moments I can recall was seeing Frank Shorter win the gold in the marathon in 1972. I was pretty young and was awed at how well he ran.

And for those of you who watched that race (Az, Mike, Sub, etc.), you will remember one of the worst injustices in the Olympics. Some idiot wearing a phony racing bib, shorts and tank top ran into Munich's stadium ahead of Shorter, to the thunderous applause of the crowd awaiting the marathon winner.

Shorter thought for sure that he was winning the race, enters the stadium to tepid applause (since the asshole faker who ran in with the phony bib drew the lion's share of applause), and is looking around in bewilderment, wondering who the hell the other guy is.

It was great watching Shorter run with the lead pack for 18 miles, then break away and take a commanding lead. The '72 games were fraught with tragedy (the Palestinian terrorists murdering Israeli athletes), controvery (the bogus multiple-endings to the Soviet-US basketball game), and Shorter's race made me feel better about the games.

To this day, I pray that the asswipe who ran into the stadium and stole Shorter's victory lap answers for his idiocy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 am 

The basketball game was the killer in that Olympics. Hank Iba should have been banished to Ok. Oh that is where he was from. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:50 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The basketball game was the killer in that Olympics. Hank Iba should have been banished to Ok. Oh that is where he was from. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yep ... he walks onto the court from the stands and starts dictating to the official that 3 seconds should be put on the clock.

Though in fact, the Soviets did not call timeout, inbounded the ball, took a shot and missed. Game freaking OVER.