Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 Winter Olympics
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 am 

I really don’t have a favorite event but I enjoy the bobsled, luge, the skiing events – downhill, cross country as well as the ski jumping. I also enjoy the various speed skating events but I’m not a fan of the figure skating or ice dancing competitions.

I also occasionally watch the hockey but it seems as though I get more interested the more frequently I watch. I am not a fan of the NHL but will take a look at the outdoor game they televise annually on New Year’s Day. I think I do that mostly due to the novelty of seeing a game played outdoors at a historic venue such as Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

The men’s gold medal game will be played on February 28th – the last day of the Olympics. I will probably watch some of it no matter who is playing. My first real interest in Olympic hockey was etched in stone almost 30 years ago – February 22, 1980. That was the “Miracle on Ice” game in which the USA team beat the Soviets 4-3 to advance to the Gold medal round against Finland. I still get chills when I think about what that victory meant at that time in history. It was the rag tag bunch of amateurs and college kids versus the best professionals that the Soviets could field. This Soviet team routinely trounced NHL all star teams of that era. It is no wonder that the story was made into a TV movie in 1981 and a Feature Film in 2004. The only thing that surprises me is that it took that long to hit the silver screen. If you have not seen it I would recommend it – perhaps watch it this week.

Here are some interesting facts to note about that game. It was not televised live in the afternoon (except on Canadian TV) but on tape delay in primetime. It was not the gold medal game. As I stated above they had to beat Finland to get the gold. It is the most watched hockey game in USA television history. In 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation picked the “Miracle on Ice” as the number-one international hockey story of the century. Sports Illustrated voted it as the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. The picture of the American team celebrating the win on the Sports Illustrated cover the following week is the only cover in its history without a caption or headline. The team was named the Associated Presses athlete of the year.

Thoughts anyone?

Post subject: Re: 2010 Winter Olympics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:42 pm 

hebner20 wrote:
I really don’t have a favorite event but I enjoy the bobsled, luge, the skiing events – downhill, cross country as well as the ski jumping. I also enjoy the various speed skating events but I’m not a fan of the figure skating or ice dancing competitions.

I also occasionally watch the hockey but it seems as though I get more interested the more frequently I watch. I am not a fan of the NHL but will take a look at the outdoor game they televise annually on New Year’s Day. I think I do that mostly due to the novelty of seeing a game played outdoors at a historic venue such as Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

The men’s gold medal game will be played on February 28th – the last day of the Olympics. I will probably watch some of it no matter who is playing. My first real interest in Olympic hockey was etched in stone almost 30 years ago – February 22, 1980. That was the “Miracle on Ice” game in which the USA team beat the Soviets 4-3 to advance to the Gold medal round against Finland. I still get chills when I think about what that victory meant at that time in history. It was the rag tag bunch of amateurs and college kids versus the best professionals that the Soviets could field. This Soviet team routinely trounced NHL all star teams of that era. It is no wonder that the story was made into a TV movie in 1981 and a Feature Film in 2004. The only thing that surprises me is that it took that long to hit the silver screen. If you have not seen it I would recommend it – perhaps watch it this week.

Here are some interesting facts to note about that game. It was not televised live in the afternoon (except on Canadian TV) but on tape delay in primetime. It was not the gold medal game. As I stated above they had to beat Finland to get the gold. It is the most watched hockey game in USA television history. In 2008, the International Ice Hockey Federation picked the “Miracle on Ice” as the number-one international hockey story of the century. Sports Illustrated voted it as the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. The picture of the American team celebrating the win on the Sports Illustrated cover the following week is the only cover in its history without a caption or headline. The team was named the Associated Presses athlete of the year.

Thoughts anyone?

When I was coaching wrestling, I liked to use movies like that for motivation, maybe give a little spark to someone who had the tools, but had yet to get them to work for them on the mat. Also, it was nice to get my guys over to get together and hangout as a team...I used this movie one year, and the Rocky Series...

I have come to solve all of life's problems with the 5 original Rocky's

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 am 

Very entertaining game, USA vs. Canada. Canada is loaded (Crosby, Iginla, Brodeur, etc.), and the game was a shoot-out. US prevailed 5-3 in one of the more entertaining games I have seen.

And p.s. hebner - the 1980 game was obviously one of the greatest sporting moments I have witnessed. I believe ABC had the rights to the Olympics, and I was home watching television when the news broke in with a special report, stating that Mike Eruzione had scored with 10 minutes left to put the US ahead 4-3. The news then updated every 2 minutes, reporting that the US still had the lead until the game was a final.

At that point, ABC broke away from what it was showing (a soap opera, I think) to go to Lake Placid for a report. It was stunning.

As you will recall, the Soviets embarrased the NHL All-Stars and then demolished the US in an exhibition at Madison Square Garden right before the Olympics. Nobody expected the United States to give the Soviets a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:04 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I remember being really confused about the crowd on that one. But, for sheer excitement, Frank's marathon simply didn't stack up against Klammer's run. I mean the suspense was all gone for Shorter as we watched him pull away. Dominant, but not that exciting. I was waiting for Klammer to explode on every turn and mogul.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
IBut, for sheer excitement, Frank's marathon simply didn't stack up against Klammer's run. ZM

I am thinking of "great moments" in the vein of great sporting achievment, great effort, etc.

Running a marathon is indescribeably painful. To run a 5:00 minute mile is brutal. Running 26.2 of those in a row is unbelievable.

But Klammer's run was great. That was the first or second day of the 1976 Olympics, as I recall. It hooked a lot of viewers to those games, me included.

ZelieMike wrote:
I was waiting for Klammer to explode on every turn and mogul.
ZM

I heard an announcer use a phrase to describe a skier wheeling his arms in a circle while trying to keep his balance: "Rolling the windows down."

Klammer was definitely "rolling the windows down."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm 

Klammer's run was the greatest Olympic moment for me.. until the US beat the Russians in Lake Placid.. funny thing about that.. I was just getting home from high school (10th grade) and didn't have the TV or the radio on because I wanted to see the game without knowing who won. I get a freakin' phone call from one of my best friends at that time, telling me we beat the Russians.. I wanted to kill him for telling me, but I was too happy to do it..