Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pitt to Big 10
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:58 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I've been to the yearly coaches' luncheon for many, many years

Jeez, you are really serious about this college football thing aren't you No. 9? 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:11 pm 

NDL wrote:
I agree that academics are more important than many people believe in this equation. The Big 10 isn't going to just add another university because it wants to add one but it also isn't going to just add one because of a superior athletic program. If that were the criteria, they may as well look at WVU who has a solid football and basketball program. Plain and simple, that isn't going to happen.

From what I understand, the AAU membership is not so much a requirement as a desire. ND is not a member of the AAU from what I understand but the Big 10 would obviously overlook that and admit them if they desired to join.

I can't see Texas joining the Big 10. It doesn't make sense from their end, to me, to join the conference. They rule the Big 12 and get the biggest cut of the Big 12 TV contract payout pie. The Big 12 isn't exactly chopped liver, either. They have nice rivalry games in that conference and they couldn't continue all of them if they joined the Big 10.

Geography is actually something that I think also gets overlooked. Texas is really far away. If they join the Big 10, they are going to be competing in the Big 10 in all sports they choose to participate in because the Big 10 is an all sports conference. Can you see them sending their olympic sports teams to State College, Ann Arbor, and Madison on a regular basis? That's really far away and would wreak havoc on their travel funds. It's not a huge deal in football with only 12 games a year and one game a week but it is a big deal in other sports.

The only way I could see Texas joining the Big 10 would be if the Big 10 chooses to add more than one school. If they choose to do so, they could add 3-5 universities and then split into divisions that would make sense from a geographical standpoint. I am starting to think that this may be the future of the conferences. If the Big 10 does seek to add more than one university, I also think Pitt will get an invitation.

If Texas joins the Big 10, its decision will be driven by academic reasons, not athletic reasons. It would be a major coup for the Big 10 from both and academic and athletic standpoint. Again, I don't see it happening but it is not the crazy thought that some believe it to be.

The CIC/AAU matter was a live topic during the discussions. My memory may be a bit faulty on this particular topic but I recall that Notre Dame joining the AAU and receiving the benefits of the CIC was a condition of the Big 10's invitation. Faculty at ND voted nearly unanimously "yes" but the Board of Trustees wanted to keep the football program independent.

As for the $$$ issue, I'd simply point out that the Gator Bowl - which previously took the #2 Big East team - dropped the Big East in favor of a match up between #4/#5 Big Ten team versus a #5/#6 SEC team. Now . . . is the 4th or 5th place Big 10 team better than the Big East runner-up? This year, the question would have been whether Wisconsin or Northwestern is better than Pittsburgh or West Virginia. Or, is the 5th or 6th place SEC team better than the Big East runner up? This year, the question would ahve been whether Georgia, Tennessee or Mississippi better than Pitt or WVU. I certainly don't think that any of those teams are head and shoulders better. But . . in the eyes of the Gator Bowl committee, they think that they can put more butts in the seats and more money into the local economy by matching up middle of the pack Big 10 and SEC schools than they could with the Big East runner up. Just an example of why the $$$ won't be drying up for the Big 10 athletic departments.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:16 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Jeez, you are really serious about this college football thing aren't you No. 9? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Football Saturdays in the fall are very, very special. :lol: Wouldn't give up my season tickets for the world. I'm hoping that ZM will come to Iowa City this fall to see PSU play at Kinnick. It would be a blast.

And, let's face it . . . my two favorite pro teams are the Pirates and the KC Chiefs. Probably the worst combination possible with the possible exception of some mope who might like the Pirates and the Buffalo Bills!!!! :lol:

I don't follow hockey. I lost any interest in NBA basketball (was a Milwaukee Bucks fan; saw Kareem play there as a youngster) and the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team could be the worst D-1 team in the country.

About the only semblance of success for me as a fan is college football. Also doesn't hurt that I used to work with a number of people in the AD and have gone on recruiting trips with some of the current football coaching staff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Joe Paterno's 5-10 minute presentation is worth the effort to go to the luncheon. The man is ridiculously funny. When he and Joe Tiller, Purdue's old coach, got going with one another it was pure comedy.

COME TO PENN STATE!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team could be the worst D-1 team in the country.

"Acapulco" Lute Olson could not be happy. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm 

Az -
You got that right. Oh for the days of Lute Olson . . .
No. 9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:

Football Saturdays in the fall are very, very special. :lol: Wouldn't give up my season tickets for the world. I'm hoping that ZM will come to Iowa City this fall to see PSU play at Kinnick. It would be a blast..

I'm putting it on my calendar, and have started putting change in the canning jars.

I have enough black and gold stuff to pass...

Want to see the future PSU coach up close! :shock:

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 am 

If you've been to State College than you've already seen Tom Bradley; no need to see him at Iowa.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Want to see the future PSU coach up close! :shock: ZM

BLASPHEMY!!!