Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lane Kiffin...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:11 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
How does anyone live in SEC country and not like college football?

And in my opinion, college athletes play with 10 times the heart and passion than rich pro athletes do.

Because it sucks? Really, big time college football is boring as shit to watch. Simple offense goes against simple defense and the coaches pray to God nobody fucks up. The skill level is laughable when compared to the NFL. And then there's hardcore college football guy who pays $200 a year so he can know where a bunch of 16, 17, and 18 year old high school kids are going to prep for real football 15 minutes before everyone else does. The whole thing is pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

And in my opinion, college athletes play with 10 times the heart and passion than rich pro athletes do.

Perhaps he never went to college?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm 

Willton wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

How did I know that you would be the one person on this board to play that card? :o I'm shocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hey Jeremy,

Where do you think those incredible athletes in the NFL come from, the NFL tree?

Sounds like you have a deeper bias toward college football than you are revealing here. Anyway, if you think TO and his type play with heart, we have nothing left to talk about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:11 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

How did I know that you would be the one person on this board to play that card? :o I'm shocked.

Well, it is somewhat intuitive. Most people who enjoy sports (as you claim to) and went to college at least enjoy or enjoyed watching said sports being played by their alma mater. Since you express such a disdain for college sports, a reasonable inference would be that you did not attend college, or at least not a college that had intercollegiate sports.

If that is true, I'm sorry you feel so insecure about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 pm 

Willton wrote:

Well, it is somewhat intuitive. Most people who enjoy sports (as you claim to) and went to college at least enjoy or enjoyed watching said sports being played by their alma mater. Since you express such a disdain for college sports, a reasonable inference would be that you did not attend college, or at least not a college that had intercollegiate sports.

If that is true, I'm sorry you feel so insecure about it.[/quote]

Yes Wilton, I somehow earned two degrees without ever going to college. :roll:

As far as your argument VanSlick, I have to wonder why you're even here if college sports are superior to pro sports. The fact is that there are showboats and screwups in college too. Kind of like the 4 TENNESSEE players who were arrested for armed robbery.

Here's a more comprehensive list for you:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/category/fulmer-cup/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm 

What, no rap sheets of other college programs? Dig a little and see what you find.

Better yet, let's do a run down of the rap sheets of the NFL. Now THAT would be an interesting read.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:36 am 

VanSlick wrote:
What, no rap sheets of other college programs? Dig a little and see what you find.

Better yet, let's do a run down of the rap sheets of the NFL. Now THAT would be an interesting read.

Did you even bother to follow the link? The fact is your argument holds very little water. And the fact that you're trying to elicit sympathy for the sleaziest athletic department this side of USC doesn't help your case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

Because it sucks? Really, big time college football is boring as shit to watch. Simple offense goes against simple defense and the coaches pray to God nobody fucks up. The skill level is laughable when compared to the NFL. And then there's hardcore college football guy who pays $200 a year so he can know where a bunch of 16, 17, and 18 year old high school kids are going to prep for real football 15 minutes before everyone else does. The whole thing is pathetic.

Hey . . . if you don't enjoy college football, so be it. Frankly, I think that your opinion is short-sighted and, living in the heart of Big 10 country, think that you are missing out on a lot of fun on Saturdays. IMO, not much tops a home game Saturday. As for the NFL, I enjoy it as well but even the supposed "expert" commentators have been complaining for the past few years about the overall quality of play being down.

Before you paint college athletics with broad brushes, I suggest that you go to the College World Series in Omaha. I submit that, if you don't enjoy the level of baseball being played, the enthusiasm and heart with which the game is played - I'll be shocked. Yeah, they use aluminum bats but they play the game with a degree of love that you see very little of in MLB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:26 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

Hey . . . if you don't enjoy college football, so be it. Frankly, I think that your opinion is short-sighted and, living in the heart of Big 10 country, think that you are missing out on a lot of fun on Saturdays. IMO, not much tops a home game Saturday. As for the NFL, I enjoy it as well but even the supposed "expert" commentators have been complaining for the past few years about the overall quality of play being down.

Before you paint college athletics with broad brushes, I suggest that you go to the College World Series in Omaha. I submit that, if you don't enjoy the level of baseball being played, the enthusiasm and heart with which the game is played - I'll be shocked. Yeah, they use aluminum bats but they play the game with a degree of love that you see very little of in MLB.

The quality of play in the NFL is down because college football has become little more than flag football. But hey, as long as people can go to stadium, get shitfaced at a tailgate party, and oogle 18 year old cheerleaders, the world is good right.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:37 pm 

As a diehard USC fan I'm excited about getting Kiffin and the other guys he brought with him. Oh, and no I didn't go to USC. I attended a lowly state school here in PA...but amazingly I still enjoy college sports :roll:

Anyway...I find it interesting that on the baseball board guys argue that players, coaches, people in general, should be able to move to a job they want/will benefit them more. Isn't that what Kiffin did? Unfortunately this is the way college athletics are. I don't necessarily like it myself, but it is the way it is. University presidents and athletic directors need to start putting huge buyouts or something that will make it more difficult for coaches to get out of a contract.

As for the whole coaches leave and players are stuck there...parents should be encouraging their kids to go for the university and what it has to offer. Yes, I know the coach is an important factor(not trying to be naive about it). But if the coach leaves, the STUDENT athlete should still be fine. They are supposed to be there to get a free education. The fact that this isn't the main way of thinking by most people associated with college athletics is the REAL problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
But if the coach leaves, the STUDENT athlete should still be fine.

That would be great in a perfect world but in many cases, such as my experience, the new coach was mostly interested in running off the previous coaches players like myself, and being able to bring in "his guys". This happens more frequently than most fans realize. I was protected by the fact that I was playing at the time where the scholarship was guaranteed fo the full four years unlike now where it is renewed on a yearly basis. I transferred anyway because I still wanted to play. If I didn't I could have finished school without playing as long as the coach cut me and I did not quit the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm 

I am glad I was sitting down when I read Smizik's take in his blog today. I have to say that I agreed with every single word of it. :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I like college sports. I despise the NCAA and all the holier than thou's making millions then discarding the athletes.

AZ, I agree with you %100. Case in point, all the time Tebow spent at Florida and how he decided to come back for his team (the boosters were sure happy), couldn't someone have taught him how to drop back? I guess they figured that the school making money was more important than preparing an individual for his career. Hummm... isn't that what colleges are SUPPOSED to do?