Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitt Basketball
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm 

Pitt is legit once again.

With 4 of the 5 starters from last year moving on, I really wasn't expecting much. They looked shaky during non-conference play but still went 10-2.

Then Jermaine Dixon came back from his broken foot, and Gilbert Brown came back from academic suspension, just in time for the Big East schedule.

They are 3-0 in conference play, with victories at Syracuse and at Cincinatti. Brown played like a man possessed in Cincy. He out ran, out jumped, and out hustled everyone else on the floor. I never saw him play like that before.

Much to my surprise and delight, they are once again a contender. They are young and inexperienced, but also talented, athletic, and deep. No rebuilding necessary.

Post subject: Re: Pitt Basketball
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 pm 

Jamie Dixon has done a great job and the team in maturing faster than anticipated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:07 pm 

I dont follow NCAA basketball very much(I guess thats why I won $500 in last years March Madness bracket)but Pitt was not expected to do very much and their early conference wins look more to be a fluke.
BTW, I guess WVU fans want to take top hooligan honors away from Cleveland Browns fans.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:01 pm 

In what was one of the most memorable basketball games ever played not only at the Petersen Events Center but also in the long history of Pitt and West Virginia, the finest performance of the night did not take place on the floor.

It took place in the stands.

On a night when all Hell could have broken loose, the Pitt students in particular and the Pitt fans in general brought sportsmanship back into college athletics.

Less than two weeks after their West Virginia counterparts embarrassed their team and university and brought negative national attention to Morgantown, the Pitt fans behaved like no one had any right to expect them to behave.

Instead of resorting to retaliation, they resorted to what real fans are supposed to do: They supported their team. They did not focus their energies on the opposition. They showed a mountain of class, something that was clearly lacking the last time the teams played.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm 

That game last night will probably go down as one of the most memorable at the Petersen Center. I was thinking that the whole time when the game was in overtime periods. Pitt certainly didn't disappoint with their performance during overtime.

I was also thinking the same thing, estrago. Although I wasn't at the game and I am sure there was the typical hostility towards WVU the Pitt students and fans didn't cross the line. I wasn't surprised. To be quite honest with you, I was surprised that ESPN/Pitt even made a big deal out of the fan behavior issue. ESPN said that Pitt was taking extra measures to make sure the fans were in good behavior but if I were a Pitt administrator charged with making a statement to ESPN I would have told them this: "We're not concerned about the behavior of our fans during this or any other game. This is a different arena, student section, and fan base than was on hand to witness the game in Morgantown and we expect nothing but a level of class and sportsmanship from them that does not include extreme behavior. We'll have a few extra security guards on hand and run an announcement but we don't expect any issues."

I'm not trying to bash WVU fans but they have a very bad reputation for sportsmanship and it's easy to see why when things like what happened the last time we played in Morgantown happen there.