Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wildcat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 am 

I've been watching this Miami offense with interest. I bet on the Jets last night so it shows I was not a believer, and shows how much I know.

After seeing it for the second time, it is obviously difficult to defend, at least for now.

Miami has the personnel to make it work. They use multiple tight ends and running backs so there is a lot more tonnage than a typical offense would have. Ron Brown is a beast, and Ricky Williams is fast enough to get around the end, so that spreads the defense out.

Right now defenses don't have packages designed to combat it, but that will come in time.

I went from thinking that Miami is a lousy team with a gimmick that won't work, to thinking they are a half decent team with a gimmick that actually does work. And Pennington's injury was a classic case of addition by subtraction.

Post subject: Re: Wildcat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I've been watching this Miami offense with interest. I bet on the Jets last night so it shows I was not a believer, and shows how much I know.

After seeing it for the second time, it is obviously difficult to defend, at least for now.

Miami has the personnel to make it work. They use multiple tight ends and running backs so there is a lot more tonnage than a typical offense would have. Ron Brown is a beast, and Ricky Williams is fast enough to get around the end, so that spreads the defense out.

Right now defenses don't have packages designed to combat it, but that will come in time.

I went from thinking that Miami is a lousy team with a gimmick that won't work, to thinking they are a half decent team with a gimmick that actually does work. And Pennington's injury was a classic case of addition by subtraction.

Teams should do it more.

If Dixon were not the third QB, I would love to see the Steelers put it in for a series or two every game. It is fun to watch.

I don't understand why the Redskins don't do it with Randle El. It would be ideal there.

Also Michael Vick would be a great candidate, but apparently he told the Eagles he wants to stick to being a conventional QB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:22 pm 

But Miami doesn't even pretend they are going to throw. Brown had two passes last night, one of which was a desperate throw out of bounds to avoid a sack.

They are saying, "We're running right at you, and you can't stop it."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:14 pm 

I don't get how it works in the NFL, it goes against what you would think would work. It is a desperate play and somehow the Dolphins have been using it and using it well for 2 years now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 am 

Colin21 wrote:
I don't get how it works in the NFL, it goes against what you would think would work. It is a desperate play and somehow the Dolphins have been using it and using it well for 2 years now.

I'm just curious to how Brown would do if the QB just gave him the ball instead of those formations?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 am 

Brown would do well out of a regular backfield. He is huge and a very good athlete. Reminds me of Jacobs, the guy the Giants have, but he may be even better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:45 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Brown would do well out of a regular backfield. He is huge and a very good athlete. Reminds me of Jacobs, the guy the Giants have, but he may be even better.

Thats what I meant...Is it really the scheme of the wildcat or is it because Brown is really good? I think it's Brown

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Thats what I meant...Is it really the scheme of the wildcat or is it because Brown is really good? I think it's Brown

I have to agree that it is Ronnie Brown but the wildcat does help a player like him also. Ronnie Brown was pretty much written off as a bust because of injuries but i think anybody who thought that was very wrong and he is proving it, but it is still early in the season and he did make it through last year pretty much injury free, i will be waiting to see how this season ends up for him. You can't forget Ricky Williams though. Brown is 5th in the league in rushing right now and Ricky is 14th, that kinda reminds me of the success the Panthers had last season with the run game.