Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6257
Location: Keystone State
I know not everyone on here is a Steeler fan, but if you watched the last two games, it's amazing they lost when they totally dominated two pretty bad teams. I really though Coach Cowher had returned the way they are playing not to lose and the undiscipline that is there. The defense looked very soft at times today. Harrison and Woodley are hardly noticeable which tells me people have adjusted to them and that tells me Coach LeBeau has not figured it out. Even so, if Santonio Holmes would stop smoking dope and Limas Sweed can involved with the program (you know, catching wide open TD passes), they Steelers would be 3-0 right now and all would peaceful in the Nation.

Very frustrating.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:26 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
A couple of observations, for what they're worth:

-- I think the opener against Tennessee took a lot out of the Steelers, and I don't just mean Polamalu. That was almost as bruising a game as the three last year with the Ravens, if not moreso. They expended a heck of a lot of energy and emotion, and although they won, it was against a team that itself is off to a lousy start (0-3).

-- The defense has been allowed to grow old pretty much across the board. Farrior and Deshea Townsend are 34. Aaron Smith, Tyrone Carter, and Chris Hoke are 33. Casey Hampton is 32. James Harrison and Brett Keisel are both 31. Every one of them has taken a lot of pounding for a long time, and while I think the spirit is still willing, they've become a half-step slow in rushing the passer, getting off blocks, etc. Getting Polamalu back will help -- if he's at 100 percent.

-- Could be wrong, but I think the Steelers are "coming back to the pack," as it were. The Bears and Bengals clearly weren't intimidated or they'd have mailed it in in the second half. Instead, they both won on essentially the final play of the game. For the loser, that's tough psychologically. The rest of the league sees that once again this year there's no Steeler running attack to be scared of, and it isn't likely to improve enough the rest of the way to take control of games in the fourth quarter. Ergo, if the other guys can keep the score close, they can dial up the tempo down the stretch when the Steelers are gassed.

I'm not suggesting they can't recover from the past two defeats. But it's already gut-check time. They'll have to turn this around fast because ahead are two games vs. Baltimore, plus the 3-0 Vikings and 3-0 Broncos (at Denver on a Monday night). If they lose all four, the best they could finish is 10-6, and that might not be good enough to get them to the playoffs. Remember, the Patriots didn't get in last year at 11-5.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5705
A no excuses assessment from a through and through Steelers fan:

1. The Steelers can't get into the end zone. 13, 14, 20... 3 missed Field Goals... They are settling for FG's instead of scoring six. Yeah, Limas Sweed dropped one this week and Holmes last week, but it doens't matter, they can't friggin score.

2. 4th Quarter laziness. The offense shuts down, allowing Big Ben to get sacked on 3rd or just failing to gain yardage and then the D gets tired or simply forgets that the game is 4 quarters long. Maybe both. Either way, what made the Steelers so good last year was their ability to finish in the 4th; they SHUT DOWN teams in the 4th and put the nail in the coffin. It has been the opposite this year.

3. Big Ben... INT's. Week 1 he had a bad one. Last week the pick he threw took points off the board. Last night he threw a pick-six. Yeah, he's playing solid all around and getting the Steelers in position to win, but at the end of the day, if you take away his mistakes, this team is certainly 3-0.

What it comes down to, Steelers need to do the following:

1. Limit mistakes (no more INT's, drops, fumbles)
2. Score TDs
3. Focus in the 4th and buckle down

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3706
Location: Economy, PA
In yesterday's game I point to the lack of a pass rush. If you give Palmer that much time he will find someone. Same is true of most NFL quarterbacks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
Steeler Nation must be dialing the suicide hotline soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2176
bucco boy wrote:
I know not everyone on here is a Steeler fan, but if you watched the last two games, it's amazing they lost when they totally dominated two pretty bad teams. I really though Coach Cowher had returned the way they are playing not to lose and the undiscipline that is there. The defense looked very soft at times today. Harrison and Woodley are hardly noticeable which tells me people have adjusted to them and that tells me Coach LeBeau has not figured it out. Even so, if Santonio Holmes would stop smoking dope and Limas Sweed can involved with the program (you know, catching wide open TD passes), they Steelers would be 3-0 right now and all would peaceful in the Nation.

Very frustrating.


There have been a lot of problem spots for sure. 4th quarter defense(or lack thereof), I agree that Harrison is invisible(not even getting held much this year), O-line issues(not yesterday so much), etc. But honestly if Santanio "I'm the MVP" Holmes could catch a **%^##%^$*#@! ball the Steelers would be 3-0. He dropped the deciding TD against the Bears, and had important drops yesterday. His biggest mistake yesterday was running the wrong route and causing the pick 6 INT. Time for him to quit telling himself how great he is and start freakin' playing ball. And for God sakes...just cut Limas Sweed!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6257
Location: Keystone State
Here is another problem I was talking to my father about. The Steelers had that incredible record under Cowher where he only had one loss in his career when leading by 11 or more points. Essentially, the Steelers use to be able to wear you down running the ball down your throat with a physical offensive line and physical running backs (Foster, Morris, Bettis). By the time the 4th quarter came, the Steelers basically could run out the clock. That's why Cowher was so successful. The Steelers have lost the past two weeks with leads more than 11 points.

The last couple seasons, the Steelers running attack has changed and not for the better. They aren't physical at all. They are a finesse offense. But Arians and Tomlin still try to run the ball late to take time off the clock and move the chains and play ball possession. However, they don't move the chains. It's evident also in the fact they cannot play power football in short yardage situations or on the goal line. They play not to lose which doesn't work (unless you do it Cowher's way).

The best player on the field is Roethlisberger. They need to let him run the offense like they would if they were down 10 points and put the game away with points, not ball control. Run, run, pass failed miserably in the fourth quarter yesterday. I know if Sweed catches the ball in the end zone (or Holmes last week), those games are over. But if you had those kind of opportunities, don't you think you can get them again and maybe the receiver will hold on to the ball next time.

This is the biggest problem I have with the coaching staff. They are still trying to be the old Steelers which they aren't. They are Ben's Steelers and you ride that train until it doesn't work anymore.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2176
bucco boy wrote:
Here is another problem I was talking to my father about. The Steelers had that incredible record under Cowher where he only had one loss in his career when leading by 11 or more points. Essentially, the Steelers use to be able to wear you down running the ball down your throat with a physical offensive line and physical running backs (Foster, Morris, Bettis). By the time the 4th quarter came, the Steelers basically could run out the clock. That's why Cowher was so successful. The Steelers have lost the past two weeks with leads more than 11 points.

The last couple seasons, the Steelers running attack has changed and not for the better. They aren't physical at all. They are a finesse offense. But Arians and Tomlin still try to run the ball late to take time off the clock and move the chains and play ball possession. However, they don't move the chains. It's evident also in the fact they cannot play power football in short yardage situations or on the goal line. They play not to lose which doesn't work (unless you do it Cowher's way).

The best player on the field is Roethlisberger. They need to let him run the offense like they would if they were down 10 points and put the game away with points, not ball control. Run, run, pass failed miserably in the fourth quarter yesterday. I know if Sweed catches the ball in the end zone (or Holmes last week), those games are over. But if you had those kind of opportunities, don't you think you can get them again and maybe the receiver will hold on to the ball next time.

This is the biggest problem I have with the coaching staff. They are still trying to be the old Steelers which they aren't. They are Ben's Steelers and you ride that train until it doesn't work anymore.


My friend and I just had this same conversation. Arian's playcalling stinks. He doesn't really care if they ever run the ball well, I'm convinced. But then a game like yesterday comes up where they are having success. You could almost tell he didn't seem to know what to call. I've never been a fan of his. And you are right...they won a Super Bowl because of Ben(and a D that wasn't too shabby haha). So if that's the offense you are going to run, then run it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:22 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5705
Ralphie wrote:
In yesterday's game I point to the lack of a pass rush. If you give Palmer that much time he will find someone. Same is true of most NFL quarterbacks.


Yup, I was just talking about this with someone.

Steelers went up by 11 and essentially starting playing 'prevent defense', meaning Palmer had the short routes and killed Burgh by nickel and diming down the field.

Look at the 4th and 10, Leonard caught the ball @ around 6 yards and ran and then dove for the last 4.

Vs. the Bears, Burgh kept blitzing when Cutler was smart enough to throw in the middle and march his team down the field.

Basically, the Steelers are not blitzing effectively. They need to stop playing prevent and mix up their blitzes so that they can cause TO's and break up coverages.

Too many open WR's catching passes, regardless of yardage. It needs to stop.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1511
Twenty-nine year old Larry Foote is playing very well these days. :lol:

He made the last tackle of the game Sunday.. 4th down the 'Skins had a chance to win the game.

Hopefully Larry will re-sign and stick around for another Super Bowl ring in 2011. :D


Attachments:
Larry Foote tackling Santana Moss Sunday.jpg
Larry Foote tackling Santana Moss Sunday.jpg [ 123.54 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7311
Congrats on the win Ollie...Its nice for them to get that monkey off their back, and see them hopefully turn it around now Millen is back in the booth

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
nad69dan wrote:
Congrats on the win Ollie...Its nice for them to get that monkey off their back, and see them hopefully turn it around now Millen is back in the booth


I wonder if Millen and Littlefield should do a TV show together... something like "biggest losers"...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1511
It's funny that William Clay Ford finally spoke to the media after the game, after being silent for so long. He said "we got King Kong off our backs." Ford is the Kong as far as many are concerned.

His biggest problem as an owner is he's too loyal to his people. He's not a business man so he doesn't know how to run the franchise. He's not involved in the family business because he's inept. After firing Millen he (and his boy Junior) hired Martin Mayhew who Millen hired. They didn't clean house at all.. even retained some coaches. But Lions fans really like Jim Schwartz as a head coach, myself included.


Attachments:
Steelers vs. Lions.jpg
Steelers vs. Lions.jpg [ 74.35 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5705
When PIT plays Detroit in two weeks, I hope we destroy them. If nothing else than for that infamous Thanksgiving day debacle.

I'm still not over it. :lol:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How did the Steelers lose the past two games?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1511
The Lions secondary is garbage. Just let Big Ben throw all day and we'll be no problem.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits