Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
What do you all think of this? I am thinking of making a complaint to the WPIAL...not that it would do any good.

My daughters play High School Field Hockey. Our team is not real good, but my daughters both are pretty good. If a school doesn't have a boys field hockey team, then boys are allowed to play as long as they wear the skirt. Really! I am not kidding.

Anyway, we played a private school this week who had two boys. One boy was about 6'4" pretty fast and muscular. He hit the ball with unbelievable authority. (for those of you who don't know, the ball is like a billiard ball).

Anyway, for safety reasons, if the ball is a "high ball", it is blown dead and there is a change of possession. About half of this kid's hits were high balls. Four of our girls were hit (two on the head) and knocked out of the game. But the half that were NOT high balls, were great hits. We lost 7-3, and this kid scored 6 of the goals. This kid only came out when they had a 5 goal lead, and only for about a minute. When we scored to make it 7-3, he went back in.

Most of our girls were totally afraid. The goalie admitted she was afraid every time he took a shot. Incidentally, my one daughter had to play right on him the whole game. She had assists on all three of our goals, and my other daughter had a goal and an assist.

But anyway, what are all of you guys thoughts on this?? Should this be allowed?? I am thinking of keeping my girls out next time we play this team.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
Can you hear him tell his kids, "hey, I was a heck of a filed hockey player....against the girls." :o :o :o :o probably the product of some lawsuit.


Top
 
 Post subject: It got kinda ugly...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Can you hear him tell his kids, "hey, I was a heck of a filed hockey player....against the girls." :o :o :o :o probably the product of some lawsuit.


To be honest with you, he scored a goal on a penalty shot....the velocity of it was really unbelievable. Their crowd was cheering...so I had to ask them if they were proud of what their boy could do against our girls. It got kinda ugly!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7308
Its double edged sword...I like boys playing girls sports as much as I like girls playing boys sports...I hate it...

It was especially worse when I was coaching wrestling. I coached for 5 seasons and had 3 seasons of girls coming out for the team and didnt enjoy it at all...But luckily my style of training at the start of the season was very very demanding and physical and the girls all quit by the end of the 1st week...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
nad69dan wrote:
Its double edged sword...I like boys playing girls sports as much as I like girls playing boys sports...I hate it...

It was especially worse when I was coaching wrestling. I coached for 5 seasons and had 3 seasons of girls coming out for the team and didnt enjoy it at all...But luckily my style of training at the start of the season was very very demanding and physical and the girls all quit by the end of the 1st week...


I think it should go both ways...but at least if a girl goes out for a boy sport, she knows what she is getting into. She knows that she will be facing boys. With girls sports, this is not true.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:27 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
nad69dan wrote:
Its double edged sword...I like boys playing girls sports as much as I like girls playing boys sports...I hate it...


I'm glad someone else said it first, I had been holding my tongue. I believe it was lawsuits from several female students' families that prompted the inclusion of females in boys sports if no comparable female sport was offered. I personally find it ridiculous, but if it works one way, it has to work the other way. I certainly would never let my son play on a girls team because I don't think it is fair to him or the girls.

And dan, I had all sorts of lines about "wrestling" with girls when I was in high school...but then I thought about the physical appearances of girls who might want to wrestle, and have chosen to just let it slide.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7308
BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Its double edged sword...I like boys playing girls sports as much as I like girls playing boys sports...I hate it...


I'm glad someone else said it first, I had been holding my tongue. I believe it was lawsuits from several female students' families that prompted the inclusion of females in boys sports if no comparable female sport was offered. I personally find it ridiculous, but if it works one way, it has to work the other way. I certainly would never let my son play on a girls team because I don't think it is fair to him or the girls.

And dan, I had all sorts of lines about "wrestling" with girls when I was in high school...but then I thought about the physical appearances of girls who might want to wrestle, and have chosen to just let it slide.


Being a heavyweight, I never thought I'd have to worry about wrestling a girl but I had to wrestle a girl when I was a freshman in high school. We were at a tournament and she beat 2 guys to get to to me, one didnt wrestle her and the other lost...My coach coach said "You can either wrestle a girl and be laughed at or not wrestle and cost us a shot at winning the tournament and be laughed at for losing to a girl"...I pinned her in 12 seconds, and she accoused me of choking her throat and feeling her up...

By the way at the time I was a 5'6" 210 freshman and she was about 6' tall and easily pushed the max weight limit of 275

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:07 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
Wow, feeling up a 275 chick. Really? She must have had an overinflated opinion of herself. In more ways than one. 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Pittsburgh
Animal wrote:
What do you all think of this? I am thinking of making a complaint to the WPIAL...not that it would do any good.

My daughters play High School Field Hockey. Our team is not real good, but my daughters both are pretty good. If a school doesn't have a boys field hockey team, then boys are allowed to play as long as they wear the skirt. Really! I am not kidding.

Anyway, we played a private school this week who had two boys. One boy was about 6'4" pretty fast and muscular. He hit the ball with unbelievable authority. (for those of you who don't know, the ball is like a billiard ball).

Anyway, for safety reasons, if the ball is a "high ball", it is blown dead and there is a change of possession. About half of this kid's hits were high balls. Four of our girls were hit (two on the head) and knocked out of the game. But the half that were NOT high balls, were great hits. We lost 7-3, and this kid scored 6 of the goals. This kid only came out when they had a 5 goal lead, and only for about a minute. When we scored to make it 7-3, he went back in.

Most of our girls were totally afraid. The goalie admitted she was afraid every time he took a shot. Incidentally, my one daughter had to play right on him the whole game. She had assists on all three of our goals, and my other daughter had a goal and an assist.

But anyway, what are all of you guys thoughts on this?? Should this be allowed?? I am thinking of keeping my girls out next time we play this team.

I think that any boys who choose to play girls sport should receive all the ridicule that can be given to them. Maybe that will discourage them.

As for girls playing boys sports, I have no problem with that. My sister was the third from our family to captain our high school's boys swim team.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: The Rematch....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
sisyphus wrote:
Animal wrote:
What do you all think of this? I am thinking of making a complaint to the WPIAL...not that it would do any good.

My daughters play High School Field Hockey. Our team is not real good, but my daughters both are pretty good. If a school doesn't have a boys field hockey team, then boys are allowed to play as long as they wear the skirt. Really! I am not kidding.

Anyway, we played a private school this week who had two boys. One boy was about 6'4" pretty fast and muscular. He hit the ball with unbelievable authority. (for those of you who don't know, the ball is like a billiard ball).

Anyway, for safety reasons, if the ball is a "high ball", it is blown dead and there is a change of possession. About half of this kid's hits were high balls. Four of our girls were hit (two on the head) and knocked out of the game. But the half that were NOT high balls, were great hits. We lost 7-3, and this kid scored 6 of the goals. This kid only came out when they had a 5 goal lead, and only for about a minute. When we scored to make it 7-3, he went back in.

Most of our girls were totally afraid. The goalie admitted she was afraid every time he took a shot. Incidentally, my one daughter had to play right on him the whole game. She had assists on all three of our goals, and my other daughter had a goal and an assist.

But anyway, what are all of you guys thoughts on this?? Should this be allowed?? I am thinking of keeping my girls out next time we play this team.

I think that any boys who choose to play girls sport should receive all the ridicule that can be given to them. Maybe that will discourage them.

As for girls playing boys sports, I have no problem with that. My sister was the third from our family to captain our high school's boys swim team.


Let me tell you what happened in the rematch. I was going to keep my girls from the game, but they insisted they wanted to play.

If you don't know anything about Field Hockeyy..if a "dangerous ball" or high stick occurs, the only thing that happens is the ball changes possession.

This kid hurt 8 of our girls. One got hit in head. One in chest. One in private area, and five in the legs. They beat us 4-0 and all 4 of their goals were scored with one of our girls on the ground getting hit by balls the refs did not call "dangerous balls".

My daughter was one-on-one with him all day, and kept giving it to him pretty good. At one point, my daughter made a hard check to one of their girls (which really is not allowed). After my daughter taunted the girl, called her a whimp, and told her to quit crying, they ejected her. (we won't show this video to the college scouts).

Oh, and one of our parents yelled something to one of the boys after he hit a girl, and the ref threw him out.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1511
Does that boy's school have a soccer team? I wonder why he's not playing another sport. Also I've always wondered why the sticks are so short. Don't those gals develop back problems?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
I don't know about the soccer team. His play in FH is really ridiculous. It is as much an intimation factor as anything else. At least half of our girls were terrified of his hits. You could see them back off. I was making a bunch of comments to the parents and their coaches that they must be SO proud!

As far as the back....it really has not bothered either one of my girls too much.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits