Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaking Baby Pens(Old School)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:39 am 

In the minors: Team captain suspended for 'streaking'
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
NEW YORK -- Penguins minor-leaguer Nathan Smith has been suspended for one game after being arrested for running naked in downtown Scranton early Sunday.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton coach Todd Richards said yesterday that Smith will sit out Game 1 of the Baby Penguins' second-round playoff series, which begins tomorrow, as punishment for his actions.

Smith, 26, was charged with third-degree misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure, open lewdness and disorderly conduct and a summary offense of public drunkenness after running out of a group of men and "streaking" toward police officer Michael Marino at 2:29 a.m. on Adams Avenue.

Teammate Ryan Stone was charged with public drunkenness after the group failed to disperse, the second time this season Stone has faced such a charge.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero described himself as "not very pleased" to learn about the incident.

"It's embarrassing to the players, and embarrassing to the organization," Shero said, adding that "it's not the way we expect players to conduct themselves."

He added that "I don't think this will affect our judgment on these players, hockey-wise," and declined to say whether he feels Smith should retain his captaincy or Stone his alternate captaincy.

"I'll leave it to Todd," Shero said. "I'd trust Todd's judgment."

Smith and Stone, both forwards, had call-ups to the parent club during the Penguins' string of injuries this season.

In a statement released by the team, Smith said: "I made an embarrassing and regrettable decision this weekend and understand I will face disciplinary action. My conduct was unacceptable and totally out of character -- it will not happen again."

Stone, who was suspended for one game after being cited for public drunkenness in October, will not face a similar punishment this time. Richards told the Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader yesterday that Stone's situation is "something we will deal with in a private matter right now."

First published on April 30, 2008 at 12:00 am