Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plaxico Burress
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 pm 

Accepts a plea deal for 2 years hard time. Seems like a very harsh sentence for the crime he committed. People get less for murder.

Is this typical in NYC?

Post subject: Re: Plaxico Burress
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Accepts a plea deal for 2 years hard time. Seems like a very harsh sentence for the crime he committed. People get less for murder.

Is this typical in NYC?

He should have hired Ray Lewis's attorney.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:03 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Is this typical in NYC?

The DA said ahead of time he was going to play hardball with Burress. This isn't much of a surprise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm 

Sucks to be him. Hopefully he serves a lot of that time too and they don't let him out early. I am glad they made an example of this fool. The legal system in this country has some major problems if you ask me (much more than healthcare anyway).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm 

It may not be a surprise but it is unfair. Being a celebrity should not mean that you are to be made an example of and singled out for exceptionally harsh punishment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 pm 

New York has very tough gun laws. Mandatory sentences and the like. It's right on the sign at the border if I recall. I grew up in a border town.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:46 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
It may not be a surprise but it is unfair. Being a celebrity should not mean that you are to be made an example of and singled out for exceptionally harsh punishment.

You can't be happy that the fire cooks your food and then be mad when it burns your fingers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:20 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

You can't be happy that the fire cooks your food and then be mad when it burns your fingers.

No, but you can and should expect similar treatment from similar transgressions, regardless of one's celebrity status. Criminal law should not take one's celebrity status into account when considering one's punishment. The only thing Burress deserves is the public attention his case is getting. His celebrity status should not give the DA or judge license to exact a harsher punishment for his crime.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:30 am 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

No, but you can and should expect similar treatment from similar transgressions, regardless of one's celebrity status. Criminal law should not take one's celebrity status into account when considering one's punishment. The only thing Burress deserves is the public attention his case is getting. His celebrity status should not give the DA or judge license to exact a harsher punishment for his crime.

NYC is notorious for it's tough gun laws. Plus let's keep in mind that he pled guilty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 pm 

I heard Hines Ward interviewed on ESPN radio. He's such a class act. Hopefully more kids will follow his example.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:33 pm 

I am a bit disturbed by this. Sure Burress broke the law and deserves to be punished and honestly, his sentence may be appropriate for his transgression. My issue is that Burress only hurt himself (sure that is not the reason for his arrest) and yet he is to serve 2 years in jail. Yet...Donte Stallworth KILLS a man and thanks to the miracle of money, barely gets a slap on the wrist. Please don't throw out 'intent' as a reason either. If you choose to drive after drinking, there is intent there as well. It's these inequities in our legal system that drive me nuts. The judges and courts that subjectively interpret the law and allow things like money, status and celebrity to skew our legal system. I know that every day thousands of proceedings take place, thousands of judges and courts and even one or two lawyers ( :twisted: ) do the right thing, but it is the corrupt/compromised few that ruin my perception of the U.S. legal system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 am 

Yep but he plead guilty and will pay the price. Just because some other knucklehead got lucky, doesn't mean he should too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 pm