Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I being picky here?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm 

Some initial points:
1. I am a Tiger Woods fan and believe, without a doubt, that he is the best golfer of my generation and likely of all time.
2. I am constantly amazed at his abilities and find time to watch golf on TV when he is in contention because of the liklihood of something "magical" happening.
3. Outside of perhaps Michael Jordan, I think that Tiger Woods may be the most ferocious competitor that I have ever seen.
4. I have a personal story relating to the '99 PGA at Medinah that makes me think that Tiger is one of the good guys.

Now . . . on to yesterday:
1. At the 18th hole, Yang's shot with the hybrid 3-wood to 8 feet almost put the nail in the coffin.
2. Tiger's 5-iron into the thick stuff almost drove the nail home.
3. Tiger's missed chip from the thick stuff sealed the deal. It was over.
4. Yang was not going to three putt from 8 feet.
5. The tournament was OVER.

My observation:
Golf is a fantastic game made all the better by self-policing, honor and integrity. Tiger has, over time, become a fantastically gracious winner. Yesterday, I think that he showed that he was not such a gracious loser. Yang is ranked 110th in the world. He had sealed the victory. Week in, week out . . . when a player "seals" victory, his playing opponent will be gracious in defeat, putt out, exit stage left and let the spotlight beam on the victor. Tiger has certainly been the beneficiary of such grace from others many, many, many times. Yet, when he had the chance to be gracious in defeat, putt out and exit stage left . . . he made Yang putt first. Yang nails the putt and there is Woods getting ready to line up his putt and he is the last person to finish on the course.

Not a huge deal . . . but I thought that it lacked class and made me look at Tiger in a little different way. Definition of good sportmanship includes grace in winning and losing and I thought that Tiger missed a relative "gimme" there yesterday.

Just my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Am I being picky here?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm 

I pretty much watched the whole thing, much to my wife's chagrin. I found myself rooting for Yang pretty much the whole time. Tiger looked like someone who was trying to get over constipation by sucking on lemons. As for 18, yeah I was surprised Tiger made Yang putt first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm 

I was watching it on tape so I was in speed mode and didn't realize it at the time, but you are right, Tiger should have gotten out of the way.

I too was rooting for Yin Yang. That was quite a performance, especially on the last hole.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:49 pm 

Tiger Woods is a lot of things, but a gracious loser is not one of them.

But he comes from a generation that's been taught winning is all that matters and sportsmanship be damned. LeBron James is another example of this. There's almost no place left in sports for true gentlemen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:06 pm 

He is also a big time cheapskate. Never carries money, doesn't tip etc. That according to food service people who have dealt with him. I am not a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is also a big time cheapskate. Never carries money, doesn't tip etc. That according to food service people who have dealt with him. I am not a fan.

Az -
I heard the same about a lot of "big time" athletes (Jordan, Pippen) and have actually been told that Woods falls into that category. However, to be fair, my brother's in-laws belong to Medinah Country Club in Illinois and I talked to a woman who worked there that told me that "Tiger was very generous" with his gratuities.

My brother's personal interaction with him was very positive and the same cannot be said about Jordan.

And, for what it is worth, my buddy with whom I golfed yesterday (Karlton) told me about 30 minutes ago that Yang is a very quick player who prefers to putt out quickly. Fair question: Why would Karlton know about YE Yang? Karlton is Korean and follows their athletes pretty closely. He was pretty psyched up yesterday afternoon. So . . . maybe Woods was not being a gracious loser. Who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
And, for what it is worth, my buddy with whom I golfed yesterday (Karlton) told me about 30 minutes ago that Yang is a very quick player who prefers to putt out quickly.

A buddy friend of mine, and professed golf addict, told me that Yang chose to putt first.