Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROD WOODSON - CLASS ACT!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:40 pm 

WOW! Anybody see Rod Woodson's acceptance speech? Excellent. Makes me so proud to have cheered him all these years. The man is very humble and thankful for everything he has been blessed with. The only problem I had is that is kids had on 49ers, Raiders, and Ravens shirts, as well as Steelers! lol

If you did not see it, check out the NFL Network. I am sure it will be on again. You have to watch it.

If you did see it, towards the end, he kept talking about the three men responsible for his life and his faith and everything. I swear I was expecting him to name the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

Congratulations Rod to one of the best cornerbacks ever to play in the NFL, as well as one of the classiest guys!

Post subject: Re: ROD WOODSON - CLASS ACT!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:45 pm 

A very smart and articulate man. Congrats Rod, you were one of the best........ever!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:57 pm 

Argentum wrote:
A very smart and articulate man. Congrats Rod, you were one of the best........ever!

That's the one thing I failed to mention. Extremely articulate. His speech was so well delivered!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:14 pm 

Woodson claimed that Pgh was a racist town saying the fans only booed former black athletes who played for Pgh and then returned with another team. Not much class with that way of thinking and I stopped eating at his place at Station Square after he made that known.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

estrago wrote:
Woodson claimed that Pgh was a racist town saying the fans only booed former black athletes who played for Pgh and then returned with another team. Not much class with that way of thinking and I stopped eating at his place at Station Square after he made that known.

Pittsburgh is a racist town, no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:21 am 

I grew up in the rural Ozarks. During the seventies one of our town's school board members said he would shoot any black man if hired by the district (there was an opening for a coach.) That's the mentality of folks in the back woods. No African Americans, Latinos, or Asians in Fair Grove, Missouri.

At age 20 I moved to Cleveland and expected things to be different.. it's really not. I was shocked that racism exists in the big city, too. Cleveland and Pittsburgh are pretty similar.. working class cities, lots of Ellis Island folks from Italy and Eastern Europe who avoid downtown. I don't live far from the projects myself and I love cultural diversity!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:45 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
estrago wrote:

Pittsburgh is a racist town, no doubt about it.

Your right about that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 am 

Pgh is no more a racist town than anywhere else. What Woodson said was foolish.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 pm 

estrago wrote:

Clearly you have not been to many places outside of Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:01 am 

Willton wrote:
estrago wrote:

(snickering)Clearly you dont know wtf you're talking about.....Jr. Too bad you can not come up with some baseball statistical to back up your statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 pm 

estrago wrote:
Willton wrote:
estrago wrote:

(snickering)Clearly you dont know wtf you're talking about.....Jr. Too bad you can not come up with some baseball statistical to back up your statement.

Really? Then why don't you enlighten me, O Wise One? What do you know about race relations in Pittsburgh compared to cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Washington DC, and others? Perhaps you can show some evidence that supports your theory that "Pgh is no more a racist town than anywhere else." I'm waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:37 pm 

Lets see, I have been to NY & Chi regularly on business and talk on a daily basis to people who live in both metro areas. I have lived in San Diego, South Florida for short periods and lived in Dallas Ft Worth for 9 years. I also worked at a consulting firm in Dallas that employed people from not only all over the country but all over the world. If anything the Middle East people(Iranians and Jews)along with some of your good ol boy redneck types from the South were a bit extreme. Again point is, from my experience living and dealing with people from everywhere, Pgh is no more racist than anywhere else. Go back and read your books!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 am 

I can sure vouch for the Ft. Worth/Dallas area as being racist. My father grew up there.. we use to visit my grandmother in Ft. Worth every summer. She died in 1972 (I was 9 years old when she passed away.. my only living grandmother died that long ago!! My mom's father was 80 when I was born. Ha!)

Anyhoo.. we would have get-togethers and my relatives would drop the "n-word" constantly! That was a totally excepted thing (my mom's side of the family are Mormons in Utah and they all swear constantly, though I don't remember them constantly talking race.. one great aunt was a huge fan of the Utah Stars in the seventies.)

I always think of Texas as Hell. lol Humid as hell, ignorant people.. and chiggers rule Texas, OK, and MO (invisible insects that ate me alive as a child in Missouri.) My grandmother had a well kept lawn in urban Ft. Worth. Those chiggers would somehow still get all over my legs (I had itchy red spots all over my legs.) When I moved to Ohio I was flabbergasted and relieved to learn there are no chiggers here.

Back to the race thing.. my parents belonged to a cult-like church called the Church of Christ (never more than thirty members.) They left my siblings and me seriously screwed up. Anyway, there was one African American preacher who use to visit from Kansas. After he and his wife sat on the right side of the aisle that side became forever known as the "black side."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 am 

Ollie, I'll never forget my first week in Dallas. Not knowing I cut grass in sandles. My legs were on fire with all the chigger bites. Dallas(and many Sun Belt cities) is comprised of people from all over the country and for that matter the world. It was hard to find a native. You are right though...the older southern types were racists. Jews and Arabs hate each other and the Japs hate the Chineese.

I would say Cle & Pgh are very similar in cuture and race issues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:46 pm 

You are right on. When I first moved to Cleveland I lived in a building with a Syrian Muslim lady. She was the sweetest old lady, but, man, did she hate Jews. Her face would scrunch up like she was the devil when she started talking about Jews. I often think of her and wonder if her son ever took her to Mecca because that was her dream. The son was rich, too! The funny thing is her daughter is a lesbian and she hated that, yet the daughter was the loving one who always visited her.

I've had many Japanese pen pals over the years. Older Japanese people tend to look down on Koreans and Chinese but the younger generation have gotten into Korean soap operas and Korean pop music. My two closest friends are Japanese gals age 49 and 36. The older one worshiped Emperor Hirohito (I mean literally, he was God to her.) Japan did no wrong during World War II in her eyes. I use to argue with her all the time. She claims the Rape of Nanjing is overblown.

The younger gal has been more influenced by the west (she's a high school English teacher.) She's visited war memorials in China and knows about Japan's war atrocities (their school history books do not mention any of it.) She even dated Mario for whom Super Mario is named after (I'm not kidding!!) An amazing Italian American military man who was one of our first army Japanese translators (he was like 60 when my friend was 20.) That guy is known to have deflowered many women throughout the orient.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 pm 

Ollie wrote:
That guy is known to have deflowered many women throughout the orient.

Did he gain the ability to throw fireballs upon doing so?

Never mind. I think that is one that is only funny in the dark corners of my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ollie wrote:

Never mind. I think that is one that is only funny in the dark corners of my mind.

It makes you wonde how he got the fireballs? What about later on when he had a tail, or turned into a frog, was the star power LSD?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ollie wrote:

No, Super Mario Bros. references will always be classic. I laughed. Kudos.