Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey, IA..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am 

The Cyclones play here at Kent State the third week of the season. What's the prognosis for this year's ISU team?

I saw part of the blowout to Missouri last season. Your QB (Austen "Chase" Aurnaud) threw a heep of passes in that game. I just stopped to look at the '09 schedule. Iowa State could seriously win five or six games. What do you think? Missouri replaces Chase Daniel. Could be a looong year for Mizzou. They are losing Jeremy Maclin, Ziggy Hood, William Moore..

I may check out a college game in the area. We have Ohio State-Toledo at Browns Stadium, Indiana here against Akron (new stadium for the Zips) and the mighty Cyclones coming to Kent.

Post subject: Re: Hey, IA..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 am 
 WWW  Profile

They have more talent than they've had in a long time but a whole new set of coaches. I really can't say I'm extremely optimistic but I'm not too pessimistic either. ISU will go from a conservative offense to the spread offense. I'm not sure how long it takes a team and the players to handle the system but the players and athletes are certainly there. QB Austen Arnaud would be getting some serious praise in every other conference. There are just too many talented QBs in the Big XII. The defense is what scares me. I'm hoping the coordinator they hired from South Florida can work some magic.

The schedule for ISU is what sets up perfectly. Here is my breakdown of how, in my best guess, ISU would do against their opponents if they played 100 times...

Sept. 3 North Dakota State...98%

Sept. 12 Iowa...50% Iowa has superior talent but the home team has won most of the time the past 10 years

Sept. 19 at Kent State...50% ISU struggles on the road and Kent State has given ISU fits in the past

Sept. 26 Army...95%

Oct. 3 Kansas State (at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City)...50% Easily the biggest game of the season. Both teams aren't great and need to start the conference with a win.

Oct. 10 at Kansas...10% Another road stadium ISU struggles at

Oct. 17 Baylor...40% This isn't the same horrible Baylor team. QB Griffin is sick.

Oct. 24 at Nebraska...1% ISU can't win there and it makes living in Omaha hell. I hate this state.

Oct. 31 at Texas A&M...55% Amazingly ISU has a win streak at Kyle Field and A&M will be very, very bad this season

Nov. 7 Oklahoma State...5% Okie State might score 80 points

Nov. 14 Colorado...55% ISU always seems to play CU well and hopefully that continues this season

Nov. 21 at Missouri...10% Tough road game to end the season. Hopefully the Cyclones are playing for a bowl at this point.

So...a crazy insane optimist could see ISU winning 8 games. A pessimist could have ISU winning only 2 games. My guess it will be somewhere in between, probably in the 6-6 area. Only 38 days until kickoff!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 am 

Quick reply, IA! Thanks!

The Cyclones schedule does not include Texas or Oklahoma. Or Texas Tech, who can put up a ton of points.

Why is ISU moving a home game to Kansas City? Is that a two year thing? Missouri & Kansas play(ed) last year and this year at Arrowhead.

Kent State still has RB Eugene Jarvis (5'5" 170 from Pittsburgh Central Catholic.) He is fun to watch!!

Yeah, Baylor's QB is a stud. I watched him last year.

I follow Missouri State even more closely than Missouri. I went to school at Missouri State for two years (drop out!!)

The Bears play in the Missouri Valley League (Football Championship Subdivision!) North Dakota State & South Dakota State have joined the conference. So we play the Bison, too (at Fargo this year.)

I'll see the Bears over at Youngstown State in October. We lost to the NCAA Div. II Ichabods of Washburn last season! Aaargh! We'll play at Arkansas this year (expecting to lose 60-0.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, ISU avoids Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech this season...whew! It's almost unfortunate that they avoid them this season but play them next year. ISU will be light years better next season but the record probably won't show because of the schedule!

The ISU/KSU game will be at Arrowhead the next two seasons. It does take a home game away from ISU this season but they have a huge fan base in KC.

My nephew is going to Northwest Missouri State this fall on a football scholarship. He won the Nebraska state 100 and 200 in track. He'll play running back for the Bearcats. He is going to redshirt his 1st year. It will make having ISU season tickets difficult next year because I'll want to go to his games in Maryville too!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 pm 

I know Northwest Missouri State well. They have one of the top football programs in NCAA Div. II.

I watched the Bearcats play in basketball at Southwest Missouri State many times, back when SMSU (now Missouri State) competed in the MIAA. In the late seventies the Bearcats had a prolific scorer in David Alvey. He's now a math teacher in his native Indiana. The guy could score from anywhere, before there was a 3-point line.. he averaged more than 35 points a game one season.