Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers vs. Lions in my lifetime..
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:49 pm 

I was researching alltime games between these two franchises. In my lifetime (I was born in '63, became a Lions fan in '72) the Steelers have dominated a series that goes back to the thirties. The Lions lead the alltime series 14-13-1 but Detroit is 2-9 in my lifetime. :oops:

2005 Heinz Field, Jerome Bettis runs for three TDs on New Year's Day. Lions lose. :(
2001 Samoan guy I never heard of rushes for 126 yards. Lions lose. :o
1998 Ref can't hear Jerome Bettis correctly during Thanksgiving OT coin toss. LIONS WIN! :D
1995 Norm Johnson kicks game winning field goal at Three Rivers. Lions lose. :(
1992 Barry Foster outgains Barry Sanders at Three Rivers. Lions lose. :cry:
1989 Pontiac Silverdome. Bubby Brister 21 of 27 passing. Lions lose. :(
1986 Steelers rush for 200 yards at Three Rivers. Lions lose. :x
1983 Thanksgiving Day Billy Sims runs for 106 yds, Lions roll 45-3!! :lol:
1969 Gene Mingo kicks three field goals in defensive battle. Lions lose :(
1967 Lions can't stop running game of Gros and Shy at Tigers Stadium. Lions lose :?
1966 Ron C. Smith tosses two TDs at Pitt Stadium. Lions lose. :(

I didn't include the Lions playoff win (see program below) of Jan. 1963 as I was born a month later. ;)

Attachments:
1963 playoff.jpg
1963 playoff.jpg [ 18.37 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers vs. Lions in my lifetime..
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:46 pm 

Quote:
1998 Ref can't hear Jerome Bettis correctly during Thanksgiving OT coin toss. LIONS WIN!

That was one of the worst Thanksgivings ever for me. Altough Bettis did kinda call headtails.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:39 pm 

Matthew Stafford is listed day to day (knee injury.) If he doesn't practice tomorrow we may be starting Culpepper Sunday.

$57 all-you-can-eat seats are still available at Ford Field Sunday!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Matthew Stafford is listed day to day (knee injury.) If he doesn't practice tomorrow we may be starting Culpepper Sunday.

$57 all-you-can-eat seats are still available at Ford Field Sunday!

I have some friends who are going to the game. I was thinking about going, but I am playing a gig Saturday Night for people who are having a party called the Beer Olympics...I always knew not going pro would pay off...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:00 pm 

That's cool. There's an annual party here called Monsters of Beer.

I remember the Thanksgiving Day Massacre of 1983. We were in shock. This year will also be a massacre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:22 pm 

Wow dan, youa re killing me. We just started a ZZ Top cover band. Have 4 tunes after a couple of weeks. Tell me, after rehearsing for 3 hours on 3-4 tunes, how do you get the songs out of your head so you can go to sleep at night. I am new to that part. Is that why musicians always drink copious amounts of booz after a show? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Wow dan, youa re killing me. We just started a ZZ Top cover band. Have 4 tunes after a couple of weeks. Tell me, after rehearsing for 3 hours on 3-4 tunes, how do you get the songs out of your head so you can go to sleep at night. I am new to that part. Is that why musicians always drink copious amounts of booz after a show? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Cool, what are you playing in the band? Did you come up with a name yet? What songs have you learned?

What else is there to do after a show at 3 am, all the good looking women are already home and passed out, and the average ones left with someone, leaving you with women of high tolerance to alcohol...Those ones scare me

You get those 4 out of your head by learning more songs or drinking more...

Sometimes I wake up at night thinking of a song in my head and have to start writing it down...then it leads to getting a drink of water...then seeing my guitar sit in the corner...then thinking I wonder how the lyrics and music would sound together...then it leads to playing it, then if I like it I fire up my recorder and lay down a rough demo, then the sun usually is up...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:07 am 

Ollie wrote:
2001 Samoan guy I never heard of rushes for 126 yards. Lions lose.

That guy was Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. He was the starting RB in that game because Bettis went down with an injury three or four weeks earlier and missed the rest of the season. Fuamatu-Ma'afala looked a lot like Bettis -- they were almost identical in size, build, and running style -- but never came close to matching his success. Fuamatu-Ma'afala was out of football by the time the Steelers won the Super Bowl after the '05 season, which was Bettis' final game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Quote:
1998 Ref can't hear Jerome Bettis correctly during Thanksgiving OT coin toss. LIONS WIN!

That was one of the worst Thanksgivings ever for me. Altough Bettis did kinda call headtails.

That loss still pains me though.

Between that one and the 'Eric Metcalf game', I don't know which one was more inexplicable.

Maybe because I was still a 'kid' at the time (12 in '98)?

Nice to know that in the next two weeks, Blitzburgh will exorcise both demons a little more by crushing the Kitties and Brownies.

Good times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:02 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Ollie wrote:
2001 Samoan guy I never heard of rushes for 126 yards. Lions lose.

That guy was Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. He was the starting RB in that game because Bettis went down with an injury three or four weeks earlier and missed the rest of the season. Fuamatu-Ma'afala looked a lot like Bettis -- they were almost identical in size, build, and running style -- but never came close to matching his success. Fuamatu-Ma'afala was out of football by the time the Steelers won the Super Bowl after the '05 season, which was Bettis' final game.

Eh, Chris was serviceable. He helped out Burgh in 01 when Bettis went down with injuries. He never could play well vs. better teams, but he still helped the team ALMOST get to the 'promised land'.

Plus is was great to hear announcers (Al Michaels or John Madden in particular) try to pronounce his name. You could tell they busted out the cue-cards or teleprompter for that one!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:23 pm 

I am playing the part of Dusty Hill, thank god. We know Jesus Just Left Chicago, Tube Snake Boogie, Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers and Gimme All Your Lovin. I have really never played bass before. Felt like I had tunnel carpal. I don't have big hands and I am considering getting a short scale bass to ease up on my lack of hand spread. :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:26 pm 

I suggested ZZ Stop. A friend of mine suggested Hard Ensemble and Vinyl Ritchie. He is a mad mother.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I suggested ZZ Stop. A friend of mine suggested Hard Ensemble and Vinyl Ritchie. He is a mad mother.

Cool names...

Bass is an odd instrument, easy once you can get the hang of it...The finger spread is a pain, but luckily when I'm playing bass it's Johnny Cash Music, so I play everything on the 3rd, 5th, and 7th frets...no real hard reaches