Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Players Skipping Bowl Games...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:38 pm 

So, Stanford's McCaffrey is skipping his bowl game, joining LSU's Fournette in making the same decision. What's anyone's thoughts? Since I am almost offended by the prospect of 40 bowl games, over half of them played with mostly empty stadiums, and more than that with ridiculously titled names, I have to say I not only approve, but actually applaud their decisions. These bowl games are a travesty, and at least the players have enough guts to call it like it is.

Bravo!

Post subject: Re: Players Skipping Bowl Games...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:10 pm 

I see both sides of the argument, but I have no problem with players looking out for their own best interests. They are pawns in a big money chess game, and they are the only ones not getting a piece of the action.

That being said, this is business. People call these lesser bowl games meaningless, but to the teams and schools involved, and their fans, they mean a lot. Same for the networks, sponsors, and cities that host these games.

So while I support the players' right to make this decision, I have no problem with the system. I do think the playoff should be 8 teams though.

We may be headed for a time where a player will forgo his entire junior season, because he has already established his draft position.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, bowl games are not a "travesty". They are entertainment as the millions $ prove.

That said, I have no problem with these guys leaving to protect their earning potential.

Me, I've long advocated that in some alternate universe, the 30 NFL teams sponsor say, 5 DI college teams each. That fills out the current DI system, more or less and allows for an infrastructure to be in place for the minor leagues, but with cost and profit sharing between the college and the NFL team.

Players could go to class if they so chose, or they could live and work out in their Gladiator complex and get paid to some degree or other for their efforts.

Think of the recruiting fun for say, PITT to a QB... "Come to Pitt and end up taking Big Ben's place in a few years! Why would you want to go to Ohio St. and end up in Cleveland?!".

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:23 pm 

If they're going to do that they ought to just go to a full club sport model rather than mixing sports and higher education.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:36 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Me, I've long advocated that in some alternate universe, the 30 NFL teams sponsor say, 5 DI college teams each. That fills out the current DI system, more or less and allows for an infrastructure to be in place for the minor leagues, but with cost and profit sharing between the college and the NFL team.

First off, there are 32 NFL teams.

Next, and more importantly, that sort of 'territorial rights' would be a disaster.

It would start a bidding war for the top schools and only continue the powerhouse nature of CFB (where the same 10-ish schools win year-in-and-out).

Alternatively, all it would take is for one NFL team to get lucky or spend more on the 4/5 CFB teams in their 'pool' and they'd have a dynasty.

The problem is that nobody wants to draft, or there are no NFL-worthy players, from the likes of Kent State, New Mexico State, Middle Tennessee State, Vanderbilt, etc.

Once in a while a small school produces a top athlete (Brian Urlacher from New Mexico, DeMarcus Ware from Troy, AB from South Florida, Joe Flacco from Delaware, etc.), but it's usually the same 50 or so schools producing the most future NFL players.

The CFB and 'student athlete' system is a fraud, but the NFL Draft is among the gold standards in sports. Don't change how a team can draft players, just change WHERE those players are drafted FROM (such as a 'minor leagues').

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:49 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

For example, consider the 2004-10 Steelers, who made three Super Bowls.

They had*...

QB Ben Roethlisberger (Miami (OH))
RB Willie Parker (UNC, undrafted)
WR Hines Ward (Georgia)
WR Antonio Randle El (Indiana)
WR Santonio Holmes (Miami (FL))
WR Mike Wallace (Mississippi)
TE Heath Miller (Virginia)
G Alan Faneca (LSU)
C Maurkice Pouncey (Florida)

DT Casey Hampton (Texas)
DE Aaron Smith (Northern Colorado)
DE Brett Kiesel (BYU)
LB Joey Porter (Colorado State)
LB James Harrison (Kent State, undrafted)
LB LaMarr Woodley (Michigan)
LB Lawrence Timmons (FSU)
LB James Farrior (Virginia)
LB Larry Foote (Michigan)
CB DeShea Townsend (Alabama)
CB Ike Taylor (UL-Lafayette)
CB Bryant McFadden (FSU)
FS Ryan Clark (LSU)
SS Troy Polamalu (USC)

It's an eclectic group. And yes, a few of those guys were FA signings, and a few undrafted, but it still demonstrates how 'territorial rights' hinder team development rather than enhance it.

Smart teams know how to draft talent. They don't need 'feeder schools'. The draft system is fine as it is. It is not the problem.

*I only had to look up about five or six of these, too. Is it sad or amazing that I have committed these things to memory???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:49 pm 

Santonio went to Ohio State but I think the rest are correct!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:

First off, there are 32 NFL teams.

Next, and more importantly, that sort of 'territorial rights' would be a disaster.

It would start a bidding war for the top schools and only continue the powerhouse nature of CFB (where the same 10-ish schools win year-in-and-out).

Alternatively, all it would take is for one NFL team to get lucky or spend more on the 4/5 CFB teams in their 'pool' and they'd have a dynasty.

The problem is that nobody wants to draft, or there are no NFL-worthy players, from the likes of Kent State, New Mexico State, Middle Tennessee State, Vanderbilt, etc.

Once in a while a small school produces a top athlete (Brian Urlacher from New Mexico, DeMarcus Ware from Troy, AB from South Florida, Joe Flacco from Delaware, etc.), but it's usually the same 50 or so schools producing the most future NFL players.

The CFB and 'student athlete' system is a fraud, but the NFL Draft is among the gold standards in sports. Don't change how a team can draft players, just change WHERE those players are drafted FROM (such as a 'minor leagues').

First off, let me say it will never happen. NFL won't give up money to fund MiNFL.

That said, it could work, and I think well. Give all 32 teams 5 colleges max to associate with and not geographically restricked.. Colleges get to affiliate just like baseball franchises. This will actually expand the FCS/FBS schools, I think.

Schools would be paid a portion toward the football program, with the amounts on a sliding scale with a min/max for the NFL team. So the Browns may pay more to the Ohio State than say, Delaware.

Teams get stocked two ways. Initially by a draft just like hockey or baseball where HS kids declare for it. These kids have no real desire to go to class and only want to play football. Fine with me. Put 'em in the gladiator barracks and have them work out rather than go to Social Justice basket weaving class. Since this draft will in no way populate the colleges, just partially fill them, the balance of players are true student athletes recruited by the schools as they do now. These kids either do not believe they are NFL talent or actually want an education.

You don't change the schedules. You don't change the bowls. And, really you don't change the power structure unless allowing the Steelers get a bunch of future stars to go to Bowling Green.

In fact, I think it just removes the existing hypocrisy and makes the NCAA irrelevant. Both good in my view.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:18 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
That said, it could work, and I think well. Give all 32 teams 5 colleges max to associate with and not geographically restricked.. Colleges get to affiliate just like baseball franchises. This will actually expand the FCS/FBS schools, I think.

ZM

There are only 128 FBS schools. So that's four per NFL team. How many of those schools actually produce NFL quality players consistently???

Now, there are also 125 FCS schools, and ergo another four college teams per pro team, but now we're REALLY dipping into the deep end of the talent pool.

I like your description(s) of how your system would work, but I still see too many potential loopholes. Certain college teams are already recruiting top prospects at an alarming rate. If those schools are then 'affiliated' with a powerhouse pro team, like Dallas, Green Bay, New England, and Pittsburgh, they would consolidate the top players even more.

And I still see the potential problem of those same teams subverting the salary cap by pumping more money into player development (like how MLB teams used to spend more cash on the draft and/or international players).

It would remove the existing hypocrisy though. That is certain.