Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4211
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Let's get another Cup boys. Great team!

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4211
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
PS: I prefer Matt Murray in net versus Fleury. Murray is more calm and gives up way less rebounds...IMHO.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
It's great that the Pens have finally reached the Cup again.

Going up 2-0 also bodes well.

Provided they win the whole thing, that should be enough to appease fans and stop the complaining for a solid three months.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Keystone State
Kris Letang is the most overrated player in the NHL. The guy has offensive talent, but is such a liability in his own zone. He was a mess in Game 3.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1603
Meanwhile CLEVELAND's Lake Erie Monsters are one win away from the Calder Cup trophy. Have free tickets for game
four. asked for Saturday off and my friggin' company won't give me the day off


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4211
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
bucco boy wrote:
Kris Letang is the most overrated player in the NHL. The guy has offensive talent, but is such a liability in his own zone. He was a mess in Game 3.


BB, I tend to disagree with you a bit on Letang....yes, he does give up the puck in his own zone once in awhile...but who doesn't???? Malkin does...a lot, and I don't hear an outcry for the Pens to dump Malkin, or other fans criticizing Malkin for that reason. Other players on other teams do also. To put it in a nutshell, for me, I'd rather have Kris Letang on my team! :D

PS: I think Letang has been a "monster" during these playoffs...especially during the Stanley Cup finals!

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 5207
Location: Zelienople, PA
For all his talents, and they are considerable, Letang is a bit of a knucklehead on the ice. Of course, I've felt that way about the core players as well, and until Sullivan and Murray came along, the Pens stars were prone to losing their minds in critical situations.

ZM

_________________
The perpetually missing headline: "Capitalism worked okay again today, and most people in the world got a little better off."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
ZelieMike wrote:
until... Murray came along, the Pens stars were prone to losing their minds in critical situations.

ZM


It was Murray, not Sullivan. The kid is about to win as many playoff rounds in one postseason as MAF did in the previous six.

A hot goalie is the one sure-fire way to a Cup.

The good news for the Pens is that Murray is [probably] closer to Patrick Roy than Johan Hedberg.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 5207
Location: Zelienople, PA
The biggest reason is Sullivan. You have to watch him on the bench controlling those guys, especially early on, when they started losing their minds and chirping at refs and fighting amongst each other.

Murray stabilizes the on-ice product because he doesn't rattle, as MAF sometimes does, and add any fuel to the fire.

ZM

_________________
The perpetually missing headline: "Capitalism worked okay again today, and most people in the world got a little better off."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Keystone State
bassoondirector wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Kris Letang is the most overrated player in the NHL. The guy has offensive talent, but is such a liability in his own zone. He was a mess in Game 3.


BB, I tend to disagree with you a bit on Letang....yes, he does give up the puck in his own zone once in awhile...but who doesn't???? Malkin does...a lot, and I don't hear an outcry for the Pens to dump Malkin, or other fans criticizing Malkin for that reason. Other players on other teams do also. To put it in a nutshell, for me, I'd rather have Kris Letang on my team! :D

PS: I think Letang has been a "monster" during these playoffs...especially during the Stanley Cup finals!


The difference is that Letang is a defenseman. Malkin is a forward. I want my defensive players to be responsible in their own zone. Letang is not. Look at the power play in Game 3 that Sharks tied the game with. You just are about to kill a 4 minute double minor and he is trying to score a shorthanded goal. The situation created a 3 on 2 and yes, it was a bad goal let in by Murray, but they should have never been in that situation. Some criticized Crosby for that same play. I don't have a problem with a forward trying to make a play in the offensive zone shorthanded. They are supposed to be up ice causing problems. And for the record, Letang's decision-making is pretty much like that at all times. Although I will say he played his best game of the series in Game 4 and Mike Milbury echoed everything I have been saying for years about Letang and why that was his best game.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Keystone State
ZelieMike wrote:
The biggest reason is Sullivan. You have to watch him on the bench controlling those guys, especially early on, when they started losing their minds and chirping at refs and fighting amongst each other.

Murray stabilizes the on-ice product because he doesn't rattle, as MAF sometimes does, and add any fuel to the fire.

ZM


Totally agree with this. Wondering what's going to happen to Flower after this year. He has two years left on his deal. Murray is the No. 1 goalie from here on out.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 5207
Location: Zelienople, PA
I've read on Twitter (so you KNOW its true) that MAF will demand a trade, or that his rep has said he will request a trade.

ZM

_________________
The perpetually missing headline: "Capitalism worked okay again today, and most people in the world got a little better off."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
bucco boy wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
The biggest reason is Sullivan. You have to watch him on the bench controlling those guys, especially early on, when they started losing their minds and chirping at refs and fighting amongst each other.

Murray stabilizes the on-ice product because he doesn't rattle, as MAF sometimes does, and add any fuel to the fire.

ZM


Totally agree with this. Wondering what's going to happen to Flower after this year. He has two years left on his deal. Murray is the No. 1 goalie from here on out.


If the league expands MAF will be left exposed and be Vegas bound.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
ZelieMike wrote:
The biggest reason is Sullivan. You have to watch him on the bench controlling those guys, especially early on, when they started losing their minds and chirping at refs and fighting amongst each other.

Murray stabilizes the on-ice product because he doesn't rattle, as MAF sometimes does, and add any fuel to the fire.

ZM


Sullivan has clearly big a big reason, but I still say that Murray was the 'X factor'.

The way he demoralizes opponents gives the Pens a psychological edge.

No team has been afraid of the Pens O/D for years; they'll get physical with them and/or get into their heads as you say. What they CAN'T do is beat Murray, which flusters opponents as much as the internal strife of the Pens (if not more so).

The Caps series was a shining case of this, but then again that was classic Caps being the Caps. This series vs. the Sharks is starting to go that way, too though. The Sharks can score; but not off Murray. They're frustrated and have been playing desperate since the OT of game two.

I cannot imagine how any of this would have happened with Sullivan behind the bench and MAF in net (and ESPECIALLY once Daley went down). Fluery would have let in some soft ones, misplayed a goal or two, or something else and the TB series would have broke the other way.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4211
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
bucco boy wrote:
The difference is that Letang is a defenseman. Malkin is a forward. I want my defensive players to be responsible in their own zone. Letang is not. Look at the power play in Game 3 that Sharks tied the game with. You just are about to kill a 4 minute double minor and he is trying to score a shorthanded goal. The situation created a 3 on 2 and yes, it was a bad goal let in by Murray, but they should have never been in that situation. Some criticized Crosby for that same play. I don't have a problem with a forward trying to make a play in the offensive zone shorthanded. They are supposed to be up ice causing problems. And for the record, Letang's decision-making is pretty much like that at all times. Although I will say he played his best game of the series in Game 4 and Mike Milbury echoed everything I have been saying for years about Letang and why that was his best game.


Well BB, not to nit-pick here, but in defense of Letang again, NO player should turn over the puck, especially in their own zone. It's a team sport. All the players on the ice are responsible for playing defense in front of their goalie.

And, I believe, and have always thought, Malkin has been a "loose cannon" on the ice because he's Russian...and not because he's Russian because it's a prejudice remark, but because I just think it's the Russian's style of play in general.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 1650
bassoondirector wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Kris Letang is the most overrated player in the NHL. The guy has offensive talent, but is such a liability in his own zone. He was a mess in Game 3.


BB, I tend to disagree with you a bit on Letang....yes, he does give up the puck in his own zone once in awhile...but who doesn't???? Malkin does...a lot, and I don't hear an outcry for the Pens to dump Malkin, or other fans criticizing Malkin for that reason. Other players on other teams do also. To put it in a nutshell, for me, I'd rather have Kris Letang on my team! :D

PS: I think Letang has been a "monster" during these playoffs...especially during the Stanley Cup finals!


There is certainly a sub-group within the fanbase that is hyper critical of Malkin... They're quite vocal about it too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
That's two, Utah! TWO!!!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 7157
Also, Letang with the GWG.

:lol:

Of course. Between that and Kessel winning it all the haters are losing fuel for their fire tonight!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Keystone State
Yahooooo! Cup baby!

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: GO PENS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4211
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Congrats Pens!!!! Awesome team!!! And, Kris Letang was a monster on the ice for that final game. Did you see his game winning goal???? Absolutely spectacular!!!! :D

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits