Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bleeping Refs
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 pm 

At various times today three different friends of mine who had watched last night's Wings/Stars game called me and predicted that the NHL would not allow the Pens to sweep the Flyers tonight. They came to this opinion after seeing the lopsided penalty calls against the Wings. Looks to me like they're right, so far, at least.

Post subject: Re: Bleeping Refs
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:40 am 

sisyphus wrote:
At various times today three different friends of mine who had watched last night's Wings/Stars game called me and predicted that the NHL would not allow the Pens to sweep the Flyers tonight. They came to this opinion after seeing the lopsided penalty calls against the Wings. Looks to me like they're right, so far, at least.

Looks fishy doesnt it?
If Detroit & Pgh had swept, NBC would not have any games on TV this weekend.
I still expect both teams to win this weekend. Mario gets another home game of revenue.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 am 

The Pens were obligated to lose that game. Business is business.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 am 

Philly played a great game. They forechecked our D into submission. The Pens were never able to get the defense involved in the offensive up ice rush. Look for much of the same on Sunday. Thierren will need to make adjustments.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:59 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Philly played a great game. They forechecked our D into submission. The Pens were never able to get the defense involved in the offensive up ice rush. Look for much of the same on Sunday. Thierren will need to make adjustments.

Philly did play a fine game. They were certainly fortunate when it came to penalties, though. I've been watching hockey for 37 years and I'd never heard of clipping before. Turns out it didn't exist until 2002, but I believe that the point stands.

I'm getting a little tired of the mysterious disappearing calls. I'll use game three as an example, as I think that the calls were pretty even in that one. Penalty after penalty called in the first period, then nothing. I hope we're not going back to the days when you could pull out a Glock and blow an opponent away with impunity, as long as it was the third period.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:04 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of the mysterious disappearing calls. I'll use game three as an example, as I think that the calls were pretty even in that one. Penalty after penalty called in the first period, then nothing. I hope we're not going back to the days when you could pull out a Glock and blow an opponent away with impunity, as long as it was the third period.

I'll never forget Super Mario calling the NHL a "garage league" back in the day. Can't remember when or why he said it, but it was/is apropos. Is there any other professional sport, outside of WWF, that allows as much leeway when calling a game? It's quite maddening. The first period in game three is a perfect example. I've never seen so many hooks called in 20 minutes of hockey, then it just disappeared, the calls that is, not the hooks!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:34 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm not going so far. Philly played a nice 1st period, then Biron played an exceptional 2nd. The Pens dominated play in the 2nd and 3rd.

Meh, this should be over by the middle of the 2nd on Sunday.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:34 pm 

One of the many things I don't like about hockey. The rules vary greatly according to the situation.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:41 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
One of the many things I don't like about hockey. The rules vary greatly according to the situation.

Of course none of this can be proven and is all in your opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Of course none of this can be proven and is all in your opinion.

Actually, I saw an article a couple of weeks ago that went back and totaled up penalties by period. I wish I could find it again. It showed that penalties other than roughing and fighting definitely decline over the course of a game. Of course, correlation does not prove causation. It could be that players are more careful in the third period because a stupid penalty could cost them a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:06 pm 

I don't need to prove my opinions because I'm always right.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Which is about the kind of response I would expect out of someone who would say what you did prior, it makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 am 

Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I'll never forget Super Mario calling the NHL a "garage league" back in the day. Can't remember when or why he said it, but it was/is apropos. Is there any other professional sport, outside of WWF, that allows as much leeway when calling a game? It's quite maddening. The first period in game three is a perfect example. I've never seen so many hooks called in 20 minutes of hockey, then it just disappeared, the calls that is, not the hooks!

I didn't realize that the World Wildlife Fund was a professional sport. Perhaps it's full-contact panda saving? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:37 am 

Ralphie wrote:

Uh oh. You might get ignored by MM with those comments. Wouldn't want that, would you? :roll: