Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MALKIN...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Neal, he of 30+ goals in Nashville? Kunitz before this year?

If you are calling those guys "crap", you need to brush up on hockey.

ZM

Maybe you need to brush up on yours. Neal had 37 points last season. Not 30+ goals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 pm 

Well... Sid has his winger now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 pm 

I like getting the winger, but hopefully this is the last of the moves that involve the Pens giving a first round pick. The youthful core we've enjoyed is now in their prime years, entering the later prime years. The cupboard in the minors is pretty bare outside of a couple of defenseman prospects and a center, and Rutherford doesn't have a great track record with the draft. I'm just going to enjoy the Crosby-Malkin era while it lasts because I think more "dark years" will follow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:12 am 

Habs could use him.. imagine the points he and Pacioretty would put up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:32 pm 

RTJR wrote:
I like getting the winger, but hopefully this is the last of the moves that involve the Pens giving a first round pick. The youthful core we've enjoyed is now in their prime years, entering the later prime years. The cupboard in the minors is pretty bare outside of a couple of defenseman prospects and a center, and Rutherford doesn't have a great track record with the draft. I'm just going to enjoy the Crosby-Malkin era while it lasts because I think more "dark years" will follow.

I don't know how dark they'll be as long as there's a half competent GM in place. The salary cap pretty much requires that average to above average players are available. If they retain their top picks going forward they should be in good shape. I don't think they have moved any 2017 draft picks yet which is good. They have Sheary who is promising despite his diminutive stature and Sundqvist who has been playing pro hockey for a couple years now. Hopefully they attack the international and college FA markets this year and next while they wait to actually have draft picks in 2017.

In any case, retaining Maatta has to be priority 1A now, even if it comes at the expense of Letang who only has a limited NTC. He's too goddamn good to let him pull on another team's sweater.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:05 pm 

Pens made some more moves:

Traded Sutter and their 2016 3rd round pick to the Canucks for C Nick Bonino, 22 year old D Adam Clendening, and their 2016 2nd round pick. The moved freed up enough cap space to allow them to sign C Eric Fehr, formerly of the Caps, to a three year deal.

Overall, I think the team is stronger. They may notnhave added the defense a lot people would have liked to see, but the added talent to the forwards should put less of a strain on the defense. The forwards last year, especially in depth, were just not good.