Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best catch ever?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50 pm 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11327188
It is hard to argue against it.
Holmes' catch tops them all. Here's why:

The catches by Harris and Clark didn't come in the Super Bowl, which takes them out of the equation automatically. What are the greatest home runs in baseball history? Blasts by Bill Mazeroski in 1960, Carlton Fisk in 1975 and Kirk Gibson in 1988, all game-winning shots in the World Series. Biggest basket in basketball history? Not sure, but Michael Jordan shot it -- either his 17-footer that beat Georgetown for the 1982 NCAA title, or his 19-footer that beat Utah to win the 1998 NBA title.

The biggest plays must come in the biggest games. Everything else is nice, but ... get serious. To be the biggest play in any sport, it must come in the biggest game. Neither Harris nor Clark made their catch in the biggest game of the season. So they're out.

Swann and Tyree made their catches in the Super Bowl, so they're still in the running. I guess. But neither guy made his catch in the end zone. Neither guy scored on the play. Swann made the prettiest catch we've ever seen, and Tyree made one of the most difficult catches we've ever seen, but they came in the middle of the field. Tyree's grab led to the winning touchdown, true, but it didn't score it. So give Swann credit for being a ballerina in cleats, and applaud Tyree for making one of the most ridiculous catches you've ever seen.

But don't compare their non-scoring catches to what Holmes did -- not just in the end zone in the Super Bowl, but in the final minute with his team trailing 23-20.

Post subject: Re: Best catch ever?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 pm 

In other words, if you're looking for the biggest catch that scored a touchdown in a Super Bowl, this was it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
In other words, if you're looking for the biggest catch that scored a touchdown in a Super Bowl, this was it.

errr....yeah. As he mentioned, Swann had more spectacular catches but you have to look at the time of the game and the place on the field.
God I miss football season...cant wait for the Steeler 08 DVD to come out in a few weeks

in the mean time watch this....they agree

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e9dafb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:52 pm 

It was a great catch, but John Stallworth made this kind of catch common. I remember growing up making a catch while falling keeping my feet behind some imaginary line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
It was a great catch, but John Stallworth made this kind of catch common. I remember growing up making a catch while falling keeping my feet behind some imaginary line.
He never made one like that with 35 seconds left to win the Super Bowl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 am 

Well it wasn't the best catch ever, but as for superbowls go it might have been.There are 2 others that i would put in an argument for.I think this should be turned into a poll.

here are the 3 biggest catches in superbowl history in my opinion(not in any order)

Santonio Holmes' catch this year
David Tyree's catch last year
and Dwight Clark's catch in SuperBowl XVI (the 1982 SuperBowl)known as "the catch"

Dwight Clark's will be hard to beat just because it was the best catch in Superbowl history for 26 years.Now the question here is did either of the Superbowl Catches in the last two years beat it?

I think we did a poll to decide this!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:33 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Well it wasn't the best catch ever, but as for superbowls go it might have been.There are 2 others that i would put in an argument for.I think this should be turned into a poll.

here are the 3 biggest catches in superbowl history
and Dwight Clark's catch in SuperBowl XVI (the 1982 SuperBowl)known as "the catch"
Dwight Clark's will be hard to beat just because it was the best catch in Superbowl history for 26 years.!

If Clark's catch was in the Super Bowl, I might agree with you. However, that catch was in the NFC Championship against the Cowboys. It was NOT in the SuperBowl. Tyree's catch was spectacular but it was not the game winner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:09 pm 

estrago wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
He never made one like that with 35 seconds left to win the Super Bowl

No, but made a beautiful over the shoulder 75 yard TD grab with a defender blocking his view...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 pm 

estrago wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

here are the 3 biggest catches in superbowl history
Dwight Clark's will be hard to beat just because it was the best catch in Superbowl history for 26 years.!

If Clark's catch was in the Super Bowl, I might agree with you. However, that catch was in the NFC Championship against the Cowboys. It was NOT in the SuperBowl. Tyree's catch was spectacular but it was not the game winner.

Wow i can't believe i was wrong.I was thinking it was in the SuperBowl that year against the Bengals but i was wrong.For years i've thought that.I even knew there was only .53 seconds left on the clock when he caught it.I do have to say now that Holmes catch this year is the best catch in Superbowl history.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
.I do have to say now that Holmes catch this year is the best catch in Superbowl history.

watch and learn

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e9dafb