Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers Official Offseason thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:20 pm 

With the Steelers primed to make another run, there are many people who have already given up on the OL. I really think everyone comes back except Smith.

Also, I know that Bruce Arians is now going to be around another year, somebody has to tell him to go back to the 2 back set with a fullback. Its tough watching FWP get spit out of the OL every run up the middle.

Post subject: Re: Steelers Official Offseason thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:29 pm 

FWP is not a good RB. He lacks vision, is lousy catching the ball and lacks power. Best I can tell he has lost a step too because I have not seen a long run from him in a long time. Mendenhall hopefully will help the RB spot

Starks held his own, so did Hartwick. I would only sign Smith is he comes cheap because he may be done with is chronic back problem. Cologn is a back up and needs challenged. Keuamatu did fine. Simmons should be back so it may not be such a massive undertaking to upgrade the weak link.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:46 pm 

What about Stapleton? He stepped in and did an admiral job. My problem is that we must not have any quality Tackles because Willie Colon should be moved inside. He gets dominated by speed rushers.

As far a FWP goes, many in Steeler nation would go crazy to hear you say that, but I agree. I think that he benefits from 2 things, 1) a great offensive line, and 2) a fullback. When his contract comes up, I don't see the Steelers breaking the bank on him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm 

This being said where to you think the Steelers are going to go in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

I say round 1 we take An Offensive Lineman, round 2 we either take a saftey or a wide reciever(depending on if we lose either Ryan Clark, Anthony Smith or Nate Washington)because i don't think they are 100% sold on Limas weed being a good #3 reciever.They either need Washington a free agent or another draftee to back him up incase he flops.As for round 3 i think we take which ever one of those we didn't take in the second round.Im going WR in the second round and a Saftey in the 3rd because i think we will resign Clark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:17 pm 

I think they take a lineman if he is the best available at #32.

Clark is signed for 1 more year and I think his deal will get reworked and he will be here for at least 3-4 more. I think he will be cost effective.

I think Nate will be back, he will take a short tour around the league and listen to offers, but in the end, he's not going to like what they are going to offer. I do think Sweed takes a major step forward next season. The steelers will take a receiver this year to groom for the replacement of Ward.

I like the Steelers to take:
1. OL/DL
2. DB
3. WR
4. OL
5. LB
6. DL
7. DB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:

Clark is signed for 1 more year and I think his deal will get reworked and he will be here for at least 3-4 more. I think he will be cost effective.

I think Nate will be back, he will take a short tour around the league and listen to offers, but in the end, he's not going to like what they are going to offer. I do think Sweed takes a major step forward next season. The steelers will take a receiver this year to groom for the replacement of Ward.

1. OL/DL
2. DB
3. WR
4. OL
5. LB
6. DL
7. DB

I'd go
1-OL/DL
2-If you take OL in the 1st then the DL, if its the DL take an OL
3-WR
4-RB

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:00 pm 

The players I think the Steelers resign without even blinking(to use a Tomlin term) are:

Ryan Clark
Keyaron Fox
Jeff Reed
James Harrison
Hines Ward
Anthony Madison
Trai Essex (great backup)

The rest need some deliberation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:36 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

1. OL/DL
2. DB
3. WR
4. OL
5. LB
6. DL
7. DB

I'd go
1-OL/DL
2-If you take OL in the 1st then the DL, if its the DL take an OL
3-WR
4-RB

I thought drafting based on need was a bad strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Colbert usually tries to match the two by moving up or down in the draft so that the best available is what he needs also.

Failing that, Colbert almost always takes the best available on the board, see last year for example.

ZM