Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Penguins
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 am 

Yeah, this is all on Dan. The team looked like they'd never played before. Survived on talent and choked because of poor coaching. He has to be gone by about now.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Major choke job by Penguins. Word is Lemieux and Burkle are livid. Bylsma will be gone. So will Shero. Problem is they are stuck with Letang, Kunitz, Neal and Scuderi. New GM is going to have major problems and their farm system is fairly barren.

It wouldn't be fair to fire Shero. The man acquired plenty of talent to take this team to another Cup over the years (Martin, Neal, Vokoun, Iginla, Morrow, Jussi...).

And if the Pens are going to make a major trade, who better than Shero to spearhead it?

Fire Disco Dan. Make personnel changes. Keep Shero.

But he has drafted poorly and given out some really bad contracts. See Letang, Scuderi.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
But he has drafted poorly and given out some really bad contracts. See Letang, Scuderi.

Letang was justified. For all his faults he's a top-10 D-man. It's hard to acquire one, so best to hold on to the one you have (the same reason why Fleury is still in goal).

Shero led this horse to the water. He couldn't make them drink.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:00 am 

Of course the Habs take care of the Bs, because OF COURSE.

F'n Pens.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:38 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Letang was justified. For all his faults he's a top-10 D-man. It's hard to acquire one, so best to hold on to the one you have (the same reason why Fleury is still in goal).

Disagree on Letang. I said it then and I will say it again. A major reason for the lack of success in the playoff has been him. His glorious skating and offensive prowess in the regular season is fun. He has shown what a defensive liability he is in the playoffs. And you need defensemen to be defensively responsible in their own end in the post-season. You would have been better off spending that money on a wing for Sid. Now you're stuck with him.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:00 pm 

Well, I could get into all kinds of discussions about the Pens right now.

I do know one thing...while it's been extremely disappointing dealing with the Pens losing to the Rangers, I'm very VERY happy Montreal knocked off the Bruins!! It lessens the pain...at least for me! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Before anyone gives up on Scuderi... remember Paul Martin's first year.

Scuderi is a quality d-man. Always has been. New coach might = better system for him.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Disagree on Letang. I said it then and I will say it again. A major reason for the lack of success in the playoff has been him. His glorious skating and offensive prowess in the regular season is fun. He has shown what a defensive liability he is in the playoffs. And you need defensemen to be defensively responsible in their own end in the post-season. You would have been better off spending that money on a wing for Sid. Now you're stuck with him.

It's hard not to agree about Letang's faults. They're painfully evident.

But the 'can the Pens do better'? question is what matters most. It's easy to believe that the grass is always greener, but it's often not.

There are not a ton of D-man options to explore via FA. If a team drafts a quality one then it takes time to develop him (if he isn't traded for O help like the Pens often did). And trading for one often means a hefty price.

So yeah. The contract was bad and Letang is flawed and hurts the team, but would have letting him go (for nothing) or rolling the dice with another trade (like Staal/Sutter) netted better/positive results?

I honestly believe that the Pens need a coaching change to fully expose their flaws as a team before judgment on someone like Letang can be made. It's tough to consider that when the SC window is closing, but that's what the FO gets for not ditching Dan sooner.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:15 pm 

Letang is fine. He was a +2 in the playoffs and would have been even better with a competent goalie in net.

Scuderi was -4.