Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Penguins
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:55 pm 

What an awful sports night for Pittsburgh. Pirates blow a two-run lead and lose to Roid Boy. Penguins blow a two-goal lead and lose to a bunch of no-names who out hustled, outworked and out skated a team of lazy superstars.

And Kris Letang. This guy has been a joke for years. He is the worst defensemen on the team. But they keep throwing him out there. He single handily gave them a short-handed goal in Game 1. He took a stupid penalty for the game-tying goal tonight and then on the game-winner, he is standing in front of the net hanging his goalie out to dry. Watched not one, not two, but three shots.

When they gave him the big contract, I was pissed. A waste of fricken money. Before you tell me how skilled his offensive skills are, please let me say I don't want my defensemen to have offensive skills. I want them to have defensive skills. Any offense is a bonus.

I want to pull my hair out.

Post subject: Re: Penguins
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm 

The Blue Jackets are only "no names" if you don't pay attention to the rest of the league. They were as good as anyone else in the division, and did so by successfully dealing their franchise superstar (Rick Nash) to rebuild a very good young team, and hired a savvy new GM and director of hockey operations to replace the putrid old ones that had mired them for a decade.

They may not get the attention on the national level, but Bobrovsky, Johnasen and Atkinson are excellent young players who will certainly become league superstars in the next few years.

* Since we get their games broadcasted here, I have been a casual Jackets fan since their expansion year. The franchise was ran extremely poorly the first decade (think Littlefield here), but they have turned the corner in the post-Nash area and with a competent FO. I was glad to see them get the monkey off their back and get that first playoff win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm 

Lots of thoughts on the Pens.

1. Someone was bound to become the first team to lose to Columbus in the playoffs. Fitting that it was Pittsburgh.
2. Letang, like Fluery, is overrated. But it's too hard to acquire better players at their positions so the Pens are stuck with those guys.
3. While perusing NHLref, I noticed that most all 'great' teams have about a ten year window to win a cup*. After that, things tend to fall apart. The Pens ten year window is about up**.
4. It probably is time to move on from Bylsma, if for no reason than to try and re-invigorate what's left of this corps.
5. At least we don't root for the Capitals.

*Window for each team:
Bruins: 1969/70-1977/78
Avs: 1995/96-2000/01 (lost WCF in 01/02 and that was it; three playoff years before a rebuild/swoon)
Red Wings: 1994/95-2001/02 (four year lull before they made back-to-back SC Finals in 07/08)
Oilers: 1982/83-1989/90 (maybe 1991/92, but Messier was gone by then and they couldn't MAKE a SC Final)
Canadiens: 1970/71-78/79
Devils: 1994/95-2002/03
Isles: 1979/80-1983/84 (burned so bright and fast that things were over for them in five years)
Flyers: 1973/74-1979/80 (didn't make SC Finals again until 84/85.. run technically started in 72/73 when they lost semi-final)

**Current Pens run: Year seven (started in 2007/08). If they're lucky they'll make one in the next three years. It won't be easy.

The only team I can find that won a Cup and then had a 10+ year run of making cups were the Blackhawks. Won in 1960/61 and made three more up until 1972/73. Still, only one cup in that time. Not a good omen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:51 pm 

TheShark wrote:
The Blue Jackets are only "no names" if you don't pay attention to the rest of the league. They were as good as anyone else in the division, and did so by successfully dealing their franchise superstar (Rick Nash) to rebuild a very good young team, and hired a savvy new GM and director of hockey operations to replace the putrid old ones that had mired them for a decade.

They may not get the attention on the national level, but Bobrovsky, Johnasen and Atkinson are excellent young players who will certainly become league superstars in the next few years.

* Since we get their games broadcasted here, I have been a casual Jackets fan since their expansion year. The franchise was ran extremely poorly the first decade (think Littlefield here), but they have turned the corner in the post-Nash area and with a competent FO. I was glad to see them get the monkey off their back and get that first playoff win.

I didn't say they weren't good players. No-names means what it says.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm 

Well, obviously there was a negative tone to referring to opposing players as "a bunch of no names", especially in the context of diminishing their victory by claiming the other team of superstars were "lazy".

Obviously the Pens are favored and I don't expect other people to necessarily know the names of Jackets players, but it would have probably annoyed you to hear, for example, Cardinals fans refer to Pirates players as "no names" during the NLDS last year, ya know. The Jackets are a cool story and this was a very long time coming for the fans, I gotta defend 'em a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hard work beats talent hockey almost every time. Which is why the Penguins have only one Cup in this era.

No disrespect to the Jackets and I know a lot of their players because I follow hockey. But there are no stars and that's what no-names means.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Hard work beats talent hockey almost every time. Which is why the Penguins have only one Cup in this era...

You should tell that to the Red Wings and Blackhawks.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Yep.

That's just as much a common cliche used as an excuse for someone's favorite team underachieving as it is a quantifiable truth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Hard work beats talent hockey almost every time. Which is why the Penguins have only one Cup in this era...

ZM

Talent can work hard too. It's when they don't work hard they can be beaten by an inferior team talent-wise. Happens a lot in the NHL playoffs. See Penguins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:26 am 

The Pens are not as talented as Pens fans think they are.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The Pens are not as talented as Pens fans think they are.

True to a point, but mainly because of Fleury/Letang.

Pens were loaded the last two years (Staal as a third center/emergency second, Iginla, Murray and other deadline additions) and still flamed out badly.

If Fleury had any confidence and/or if Letang had any common defensive sense then they'd be a legit playoff team. Instead they're regular season warriors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 am 

This team doesn't even look like it's coached half the time. I see no structure at all, just 5 guys skating around. Bylsma is lucky to have Shero serving him up a top team year after year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 am 

I hope Philly advances, for sheer entertainment purposes.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:26 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Hard work beats talent hockey almost every time. Which is why the Penguins have only one Cup in this era.

No disrespect to the Jackets and I know a lot of their players because I follow hockey. But there are no stars and that's what no-names means.

Sergei Bobrovsky would like to have a word with you...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 pm 

Fleury with back to back shut outs!! How many shots did the Pens take in Game 3, fifteen?
The only way my Habs can beat the Bruins in with stellar goaltending, but Carey Price can't have his defensemen constantly screening him either.
Boston is loaded. Another Boston-Chicago series would be sweet.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Letang had any common defensive sense

It's looking like Letang's biggest issue was playing with Scuderi.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:41 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Letang had any common defensive sense

It's looking like Letang's biggest issue was playing with Scuderi.

The last four years?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:50 pm 

The only way this gets worse is if Montreal beats Boston.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:02 pm 

Major choke job by Penguins. Word is Lemieux and Burkle are livid. Bylsma will be gone. So will Shero. Problem is they are stuck with Letang, Kunitz, Neal and Scuderi. New GM is going to have major problems and their farm system is fairly barren.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Major choke job by Penguins. Word is Lemieux and Burkle are livid. Bylsma will be gone. So will Shero. Problem is they are stuck with Letang, Kunitz, Neal and Scuderi. New GM is going to have major problems and their farm system is fairly barren.

It wouldn't be fair to fire Shero. The man acquired plenty of talent to take this team to another Cup over the years (Martin, Neal, Vokoun, Iginla, Morrow, Jussi...).

And if the Pens are going to make a major trade, who better than Shero to spearhead it?

Fire Disco Dan. Make personnel changes. Keep Shero.