Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike Tomlin needs to go.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

By the end of their careers, at this rate, Worilds may turn out to be more valuable than Sean Lee. Especially if Lee continues to play about 6 games per season. He's also two years younger than Lee.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 pm 

Mike Tomlin isn't going anywhere. I'm not a fan of his clock management, but his players give maximum effort and he works well with his coordinators. Leading an injury-ridden team to a 6-2 finish is pretty good.

He's certainly not a perfect coach, but I don't see better options out there. The Steelers are very good at exercising patience, and patience is due here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 pm 

Guys play hard for him and he is good at delegating power to his coordinators and then executing game plans. Something tells me he may have had a chat with Haley about changing the dynamic of the offense a bit, and it worked.

One big thing they need to improve, and I don't know if it is Tomlin, Colbert, or a combination, is evaluating college talent. Nobody can stop players from aging, as much of their defense has, but they need to draft better to replace the aging vets. Their drafts have been subpar(along with some bad luck like Spence's injury) and they refuse to delve in to the free agent market very heavily. With their cap issues, it should be an interesting offseason....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Define "subpar".

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm 

Almost everyone agrees, talent evaluation has been a problem for them. Same goes for clock management.

And everyone expects that Tomlin, Haley, and LeBeau will all be back next year. And I'm ok with that.

The biggest question now is which defensive players won't be back? Clark and Kiesel will be free agents, same with Worilds. Woodley is likely to be released. Taylor has slowed noticeably but has a big contract. Then you have Foote hoping to come back too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't care about the ubiquitous "they". Name names, or define subpar?

Timmons? Heyward? Brown? Bell? DeCastro? Foster? Vince Williams? S Thomas? Wheaton? Robert Golden? Woirlds? Woodley? Others?

Who? How?

zM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 pm 

Subpar as in not drafting enough impact players. What comes to mind immediately is using high picks on OL Gilbert, Adams, and Decastro. Only one of them is decent. In some cases the jury is still out, such as Jarvis Jones. He should've made much more of an impact than he did, but I think he will continue to get better.

Point is that someone should at least be getting groomed to take spots filled by guys like Clark, Foote, and Keisel...but there is nobody right now. Thus I rate their recent drafts as subpar. Really, it's the only problem I have with this group. Clock management is a league wide problem if you watch enough games. And I for one was fine with them scoring that late TD in Green Bay...if they cover the kickoff properly it's not a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

If by decent, you mean DeCastro, he's grading out as an All Pro this year.

There are certainly changes to be made, but I'll wait for guys like Jones, Williams, and Allen to mature before I diss them.

I think Cam Heyward is showing to be quite the good replacement at end.

We'll see who pops up from the undrafted crowd for them. Who is the next Harrison? Stephenson?

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm 

I admit that I am not a big fan of Coach Mike, but I will give him credit for the 6-2 finish. I still think they have a major talent issue, especially on defense. They need playmakers more than anything. I hope they go heavy on defense in the first three rounds. They have to find safeties and corners and face the fact that the great players who were there are not longer good enough.

On offense, they need another wide receiver and I wouldn't mind seeing them get Heath Miller's eventual replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:21 am 

Steelers have some significant needs - LT, CB, SS, ILB, LG, WR, 2nd TE. I now rue their trade of a 3rd round pick in this draft for Cleveland's 4th round pick last year. The crop of very good WR's this year would mean that the Steelers can go LT in the 1st round, CB 2nd, and WR in the 3rd and get damn fine players with each pick.

I like Beachum, and think he is a solid lineman. However, if a true franchise LT is available at 15 - somebody like Greg Robinson of Auburn or Lewan of Michigan - the Steelers need to get the guy. Enough with "hoping" a raw LT "develops," while a franchise QB is still in the prime of his career.

Then, get a skilled, ballhawking CB like Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State. He is big enough to support the run (6', 200 lbs.) and has superb coverage ability and ball skills.

The lack of a 3rd round selection just ... stinks. There are some very good players in this draft who can play SS (Loston from LSU), or WR (Abbrederis of Wisconsin or Moncrief of Ole Miss) and who are probably available in the 3rd round.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:18 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Steelers have some significant needs - LT, CB, SS, ILB, LG, WR, 2nd TE. I now rue their trade of a 3rd round pick in this draft for Cleveland's 4th round pick last year. The crop of very good WR's this year would mean that the Steelers can go LT in the 1st round, CB 2nd, and WR in the 3rd and get damn fine players with each pick.

I like Beachum, and think he is a solid lineman. However, if a true franchise LT is available at 15 - somebody like Greg Robinson of Auburn or Lewan of Michigan - the Steelers need to get the guy. Enough with "hoping" a raw LT "develops," while a franchise QB is still in the prime of his career.

Then, get a skilled, ballhawking CB like Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State. He is big enough to support the run (6', 200 lbs.) and has superb coverage ability and ball skills.

The lack of a 3rd round selection just ... stinks. There are some very good players in this draft who can play SS (Loston from LSU), or WR (Abbrederis of Wisconsin or Moncrief of Ole Miss) and who are probably available in the 3rd round.

Steelers will likely get a third round comp pick for the loss of Mike Wallace. It will be at the end of the third round, but still a third round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:03 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:

LT's are a crapshoot. I don't' care how good they are in college. Hell, Adams was the "perfect" LT coming out of college in terms of big program, body type etc.

They don't need a SS. Have two on the roster in Thomas and Golden. Hell, might move Ike (who has offered to do so) back there. I like Golden... a lot.

You take the best player on the board, period. Otherwise you get in trouble.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 pm 

Steeler's fans are a bit spoiled. Expecting to win every year in the NFL of today is not very realistic….JMHO….. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
I now rue their trade of a 3rd round pick in this draft for Cleveland's 4th round pick last year.

Yeah. Never ever make that trade....Denver in 2009 traded their 2010 1st to Seattle for a 2nd to draft Alphonso Smith. Seattle turned that pick into Earl Thomas. It almost never works out.

I'm very surprised that the Steelers fell into that trap.