Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Tomlin needs to go.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:11 pm 

Tomlin is the captain of the wreckage once known as the best team in the NFL. He inherited a franchise QB, excellent WR, excellent TE, very good DL, two brilliant LB'ers, a good DB group with the best SS in the game, and perhaps the two best defensive players in the game at the time (Harrison and Polamalu).

He has overseen the steady, clear decline in talent, the sloppy play, the poor preparation, terrible game management, etc.

Can't fire the whole team, but I know one guy who needs to go - NOW.

Mike Tomlin. A bad coach handed a great team, who has now turned it into one of the worst teams in the sport.

Post subject: Re: Mike Tomlin needs to go.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 am 

I agree. He is in way over his head. And these players are his and Colberts. They have failed massively replacing the core that got them two Super Bowl championships.

You have seen a steady decline in the defense but the proof is in the pudding:

27th against the rush=No Hampton; No A. Smith; Older Keisel. The new front guys suck.

31st in sacks=No outside linebackers. Woodley is overrated and has been non-existent the past two seasons. He is supposed to be Greene, Gildon, Harrison, Lloyd. The 3-4 needs great OLB pass rushers. If Jarvis Jones doesn't turn into one, it will even be more of a failure

Four 1st & 2nd Round Draft Picks on offensive line=Bust. Pouncey can't stay on the field. The other three have been average or really bad. No Faneca or Marvel Smith here.

Secondary is old: Polamalu, Taylor and Clark have been in the league 10+ seasons. They look slow and old. And William Gay shouldn't even be in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:15 am 

Agree on all counts, 100%, bucco.

My fear is that the Steelers think it appropriate to keep Tomlin, likening it to keeping Cowher 1998-2000, and ignore the litany of reasons why Tomlin must go:

• Cowher went 7-9, 6-10 and 9-7 those seasons.
  • His 6-10 season included six losses by 7 points or less, and 5 by 3 points or less.
  • The 6-10 team wound up 17th in the NFL in scoring and was outscored on the year by 3 points.
  • 3 ... or 1/8th the amount the Steelers were obliterated yesterday by the @#$%ing Patsies.
  • The 6-10 season had Kordell Stewart at QB - not a potential HOF'er like Roethlisberger.
  • The 6-10 season was followed by a 9-7 campaign, with garbage like Kent Graham and Stewart at QB.
  • Tomlin is 4-11 in his last 15 games ... with Ben freaking Roethlisberger under center.
  • Cowher never lost 11 out of 15 games.
  • Tomlin's drafts are simply horrendous.
  • For those who pin blame on Colbert for the horrible drafts ... okay. So what the @#$% happened to Colbert between 2005 and now? Yeah, Tomlin and his love affair with crap like Ziggy Hood, Jason Worilds, etc.
  • If Tomlin puts his stink on the 2014 draft - where a God-awful Steelers team will have a top-5 pick - the damage will last a generation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 am 

Tomlin came on in '07, won the Super Bowl in '08, made it back to the Super Bowl in 2010 and went 12-4 in 2011. Most of that was accomplished with players that were acquired during Cowher's tenure.

Once those guys got old, we saw 8-8 last year and now this year's disaster. And worse than the record is the fact that very few of the young guys show real promise. The talent acquisition is just not there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:48 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
Tomlin came on in '07, won the Super Bowl in '08, made it back to the Super Bowl in 2010 and went 12-4 in 2011. Most of that was accomplished with players that were acquired during Cowher's tenure.

Once those guys got old, we saw 8-8 last year and now this year's disaster. And worse than the record is the fact that very few of the young guys show real promise. The talent acquisition is just not there.

well then, how come Cowher couldn't win SB with them then?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm 

Well, he moved on. I assume not by choice. Had he stayed, he probably would have won another.

I'm not saying Tomlin was simply a bystander. He came into a good situation and he was successful, to his credit. But the team sucks now, and he deserves a large share of the blame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

He inherited a 8-8 team and took it to the super bowl, and won.

Cowher was here, what, 15 years?

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 am 

The decision to retain Tomlin should be dependent on how the last eight games go.

If the Steelers dog it and finish the season like they did that Pats game, then he's obviously too toxic to keep.

If the Steelers can play tough, steal some wins and start to get back to pre-midseason 2012 levels, then Tomlin deserves one more season.

The one thing that is for certain is that there are few excuses why this team is so bad this year. Aside from OL injuries, the talent on the roster is about what was expected.

Underperformance and lack of preparation (among other factors) are to blame for this horrendous stretch of games.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Tomlin is going nowhere, and he shouldn't yet.

Stan Savaran (local respected radio host) has the best handle on this, I think. He compares the Steelers to an avalanche. You sense something, then a few pebbles come down the hill on your car, then the next thing you know, suddenly the whole hillside slides over the Parkway East.

The 12-4 year was probably the last gasp for this team, and maybe an overachieve. The pebbles started at the end of last year, and the avalanche that no one saw coming, hit this year.

It is the design, plan and way of the NFL. The Steelers would be wise to embrace it and admit it is rebuild time. No one escapes the reaper in the NFL, except maybe the Pats.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
...and the avalanche that no one saw coming...

Plenty of people saw it (a less than stellar season) coming; be it fans or insiders.

Few predicted that it would go this bad this fast, but there were enough signs to point to a 'crawl into playoffs as a best case scenario' season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 pm 

Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

The Worilds pick was definitely a bad one in hindsight, especially given the talent that was drafted after him that year.

I don't know that Ziggy was a bad pick. The second round of that draft has done almost nothing and if that was in fact a Tomlin pick, I think he was envisioning moving to a 4-3. He is a 4-3 coach after all.

After this season I think Haley and Lebeau are gone. I think it's time for Tomlin to bring in his own DC and play the 4-3 cover 2 game that he knows. If the DC comes from within I want it to be Carnell Lake. Promoting Butler will only produce more of the same and I think Tomlin and Lake can work together to build an effective defense.

The DL should look something like Keisel-Hood-McClendon-Hayward. If Keisel is gone after this season I think Woodley could be an effective 4-3 DE.

I think that both Timmons and Jarvis could be good LBs either inside or outside in the 4-3. Both are athletic and they're both playmakers. Spence has had a run of bad luck but he's still a good football player and looked good in limited action this season. Vince Williams has also looked okay in limited action.

The problem is they cannot stop the run and that's because McClendon isn't a 2 gap NT. Him and Hood both have this problem because they are pass rushing DL. They're both good at getting up the field and beating blocks. This would be good in a 4-3 but in a 3-4 it's disaster.

The offense is a whole other story. They need to figure out the OL fast or they won't be good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm 

I think Mike Tomlin fired up his team yesterday. I would've bet the farm that Pittsburgh would lose that game yesterday.
At least your coach makes halftime adjustments and wouldn't try a fake field goal with a four point lead late in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 pm 

Apparently the NFL is considering taking away a Steelers draft pick for Tomlin's role in obstructing JaCoby Jones.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10077 ... loss-picks

Appropriate punishment, I think, because the more I watch the play, the more obvious Tomlin becomes. I mean, what coach, on the sideline, turns his back away from the play so he can watch it live on the jumbotron? Way weird.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:44 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Just watch any game on any given Sunday, college or pro.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 am 

val wrote:
Apparently the NFL is considering taking away a Steelers draft pick for Tomlin's role in obstructing JaCoby Jones.

Appropriate punishment, I think, because the more I watch the play, the more obvious Tomlin becomes.

New Orleans Saints defenders took bounties on opposing players, to include incentives for injuring opposing stars. The New England drafted a tight end with a shady history who ended up becoming an accused murderer.

How many draft picks did those teams lose for those infractions???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:29 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
val wrote:

Appropriate punishment, I think, because the more I watch the play, the more obvious Tomlin becomes.

New Orleans Saints defenders took bounties on opposing players, to include incentives for injuring opposing stars. The New England drafted a tight end with a shady history who ended up becoming an accused murderer.

Umm... the Saints lost their 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013. If they had had 1st round picks in either of those rounds, they would have forfeited those.

Bountygate was pretty heavily punished: Sean Payton was suspended for a year, Gregg Williams is still out of pro football (I think), the Saints were fined $500,000, and Jonathon Vilma was suspended for an entire season. Plus, two or three other coaches and three or four other players got up to 8 game suspensions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:07 am 

val wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
val wrote:

Umm... the Saints lost their 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013. If they had had 1st round picks in either of those rounds, they would have forfeited those.

Bountygate was pretty heavily punished: Sean Payton was suspended for a year, Gregg Williams is still out of pro football (I think), the Saints were fined $500,000, and Jonathon Vilma was suspended for an entire season. Plus, two or three other coaches and three or four other players got up to 8 game suspensions.

Sorry, I combined two thoughts badly there.

The point is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime if the Steelers lose picks for Tomlin's mishap.

It's not the type of infraction that is worth it in comparison to others that did cost picks, or others that cost greater public disgrace (as well as tangible effects), but no picks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm 

They won't lose picks. The threat of taking draft picks was to put the rest of the league on notice... It could turn into a problem where the coach says "well for $100k, I can change the game" and that's something that they don't want to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:25 pm 

I stand corrected...

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers will in fact end up losing a late-round draft pick for coach Mike Tomlin's actions on the sidelines Thanksgiving night, according to league sources. The NFL is not finalizing that decision until the spring, after all compensatory picks are sent.

When Tomlin's discipline was announced by the league on Wednesday, including a $100,000 fine, the NFL included language in the ruling stipulating that a forfeiture, or altering, of the team's picks was still possible but that nothing would be finalized on that until the spring. Many have taken that to mean the league would not impose any draft-pick penalties, or was including the language as something of an idle threat.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24368513/steelers-will-face-draft-pick-compensation-from-mike-tomlin-incident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:05 pm 

As has been stated by many-- the draft picks have not been very productive. Young linemen take time but they are showing little promise. So, number 1-- their drafting has been weak.

They have been allowed to get old. Too many at the same time. The turn over has been great and it will surely escalate after this lousy year.

troy has missed more tackles this year then in all his previous seasons and has been guilty of more penalties and really looked lost many times . A sure hall of famer but he needs to get out now before his totally embarrasses himself.

Passing game is much more run after catch now. Ben throws downfield seldom. Our one strength is the great receivers (maybe the best in the league as a whole) but Ben hasn't been shape often and of course his line sucks.

Just my thoughts.