All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh Steelers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The 2013 Steelers are the 1993 Pirates.

Terrifyingly apt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 pm 

Let's hope it's not 20 years till the Steelers win again! I'll probably be dead by then!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Really?

I see for example, the Jarvis Jones <<<< James Harrison. Really? Tell me which one, the last two years of Harrison, or the ones at his peak. You know the ones after he was bounced around the league for awhile and cut several times?

Someone tell me another DE that started as a rookie and was effective. Something Jones has done. You can go back to the Steel Furnace folks. You won't find one.

Team in transition, especially at positions (OL, DL) that require significant PT to get better. Adams has looked bad, yes, but a certain safety looked JUST as bad his rookie year.

Transition.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:06 pm 

The Steelers are awful.

Ben Roethlisberger is the ONLY reason they might win 1 or 2 more games.

Their OL is struggling due to conditioning and injuries.

Their WR's are good-not-great. Small, decent, good speed. Not a genuine No. 1 in the group.

Their RB situation may be okay. Bell looks decent.

Their DL is not good.

Their LB'ers apart from Woodley are just awful. Horrible. I would rather pour bleach in my eyes than watch that group flail and flounder to tackle a 210 lb running back.

Their secondary is in shambles.

They have no pass rush, no young stars on the rise.

They are old, and aging each passing week.

And the coaching is horrendous. Mike Tomlin needs to go. He is John Russell, without the intellect.

It is going to be a loooooong road to recovery unless the Rooneys fire Tomlin and upgrade their player evaluation IMMEDIATELY.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 pm 

There are pieces on offense that could turn into something. Sanders is probably gone after this year, but with AB, Bell and Heath in tow, and with a healthy OL and BR7 under center the Steelers should be able to field a capable O next year... depending on the OC.

The D is a mess though. No push from the front three, Timmons and a whole lot of nothing behind it and a on-their-last-legs and can't make plays like they used to Troy, Ike and Clark rounding out the secondary... not good.

Whoever is the head of the upcoming draft needs to focus on revamping the D. It will be tough, but it's past time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Whoever is the head of the upcoming draft needs to focus on revamping the D. It will be tough, but it's past time.

If Mike Tomlin has anything to do with the 2014 draft, the Steelers are @#$#ed.

He is the guy who thought Ziggy Hood could play 3-4 DE, and that Jason Worilds was a better LB'er than Sean Lee.

He is too stupid to differentiate a 3-4 defense from a 4-3. He loves the 4-3, cover-2 and keeps picking players - Timmons, Hood, etc. - cut out for the 4-3.

He is the guy who is responsible for the horrible decline in defensive playmakers. Every minute he is in charge of the Steelers is another wasted minute for a franchise that is now under water.

A few more minutes and the damage is permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am 

The Steelers are really not an old team. They have 4 defensive starters who are old, and they all need to be gone after this year. But otherwise most of the old guys have already left.

Their talent evaluation is obviously suspect and needs to improve. Major changes are in store, but will they really get rid of Tomlin?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 am 

Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

He is the guy who thought Ziggy Hood could play 3-4 DE, and that Jason Worilds was a better LB'er than Sean Lee.

He is too stupid to differentiate a 3-4 defense from a 4-3. He loves the 4-3, cover-2 and keeps picking players - Timmons, Hood, etc. - cut out for the 4-3.

He is the guy who is responsible for the horrible decline in defensive playmakers. Every minute he is in charge of the Steelers is another wasted minute for a franchise that is now under water.

If LeBeau retires at season's end---very possible---do you think that when Butler takes over that the Steelers may switch over to a 4-3 (cover-2) scheme?

How many teams are left running a 3-4?

A transition may be in order, regadless of if it's the 'Steelers way'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Many teams are moving to the 3-4. That is one reason the Steeler's can't draft the "tweener" DE and convert him anymore. People ahead of them are doing it to all the good candidates.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:02 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Tomlin is kinda stuck with LeBeau until he goes because of his legacy. Tomlin has wanted to go to the 4-3 cover 2 since he got here.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Tomlin had to approve of and decided to keep LeBaue, along with others, when he came. So, he went with a 3-4 because he's a smart guy and knew how the team was built.

You can't say he's a 4-3 cover two guy simply because that is what he had to coach - as selected by HIS head coach - at Tampa and Minnesota.

If you are an NFL DC, you can coach both. It is a matter of the talent type, and if he wanted a 4-3, he could have drafted linemen for a 4-3. He didn't.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:01 pm 

Even with no running game the bumbee bee Steelers were able to pull out an improbable win yesterday.

My Lions are soooo freaking inconsistent.. 300 yards passing in the second quarter and then NOTHING???
The Pittsburgh Steelers are a better coached, better organization. I was embarrassed for my Lions yesterday. T-T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The Steelers are awful.

Ben Roethlisberger is the ONLY reason they might win 1 or 2 more games.

Well, they won more than 1 or 2 more games.

Bucfan wrote:
Their OL is struggling due to conditioning and injuries.

I don't think conditioning is the issue here. Most of the injuries are of the "hard" variety (bone, tendon, ligament), not "soft" variety. And DeCastro, Velasco, and Foster all played very well in 2013.

Bucfan wrote:
Their WR's are good-not-great. Small, decent, good speed. Not a genuine No. 1 in the group.

Despite Antonio Brown's size, he is a legitimate #1 wide receiver (just like Steve Smith was in his prime). He's a beast.

Bucfan wrote:
Their RB situation may be okay. Bell looks decent.

I believe Bell has a good chance to be a top-5 running back in the league. And I'd like to see the team keep Dwyer and Stephens-Howling. That's a nice threesome of backs.

Bucfan wrote:
Their DL is not good.

Cameron Heyward is blooming into a Pro Bowl defensive lineman. McLendon, when healthy, is a solid nose tackle. With Keisel likely gone and Hood perhaps gone as well, the Steelers will need to address the other defensive line spot. Maybe move McLendon to DE and play Al Woods at NT.

Bucfan wrote:
Their LB'ers apart from Woodley are just awful. Horrible. I would rather pour bleach in my eyes than watch that group flail and flounder to tackle a 210 lb running back.

Huh? Lawrence Timmons is an excellent interior linebacker, surpassed only by Luke Kuechly, Lavonte David, and Navarro Bowman. Worilds came on well this year and, if the Steelers can keep him, I'd like to see the team do so and ditch Woodley (who is one of the most poorly conditioned athletes I've ever seen).

Bucfan wrote:
Their secondary is in shambles.

Agreed. But Polamalu is still playing well (and he's healthy), and Taylor could still be a decent #2 cornerback in 2014. The key will be filling out the FS and CB positions. Cortez Allen improved late in the year, so he'll be around, and Will Allen and Shamarko Thomas will be options at safety. A high draft pick on a corner would be advisable.

Bucfan wrote:
They have no pass rush, no young stars on the rise.

Jarvis Jones has showed flashes, and I believe he's capable of a break-out campaign in 2014. Le'Veon Bell is a young star on the rise, as is David DeCastro (who graded out very highly in PFF's ratings). Shamarko Thomas showed more in his rookie year than Polamalu did in his, actually, and I believe Thomas has a chance to be a starting safety in 2014. Antonio Brown is a star now and he's only 25 years old. Markus Wheaton didn't do anything as a rookie (his broken finger contributed to that), but he has great speed and should improve going into his sophomore season.

I wouldn't give up on this team yet.

Bucfan wrote:
They are old, and aging each passing week.

True, but a lot of old guys will be leaving before the 2014 season, including Ryan Clark and Brett Keisel.

Bucfan wrote:
And the coaching is horrendous. Mike Tomlin needs to go. He is John Russell, without the intellect.

I thought the coaching improved late in the year.

Bucfan wrote:
It is going to be a loooooong road to recovery unless the Rooneys fire Tomlin and upgrade their player evaluation IMMEDIATELY.

In the NFL, you can turn around a team on a DIME. Look at the Chiefs. Look at the Panthers (who resisted calls for firing Ron Rivera after 2012 and watched him lead his team to a division title in 2013).

Also, I think the 2013 draft will end up looking very good, with Jones (starter), Bell (star), Thomas (starter), Vince Williams (starter), and Wheaton (complementary deep threat) ending up as contributors. Kevin Colbert and his team were able to build a squad that won two Super Bowls and went to three; I believe he's capable of adding an infusion of young talent. The 2014 draft will be crucial.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:30 pm 

It was a terriffic turnaround.

It's too bad one more W couldn't have been had.

And it sucks that their playoff chances ended up being decided by officials (the same ones who 'gave them' SB XL).

The D needs work, but the future looks bright.