Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J_C_Steel's Initial Thoughts on the '13 Steelers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:52 am 

I think the Steelers are going to be good this year. Like, 10-6, 11-5, or 12-4 good.

On offense, the interior offensive line looks ready to rumble with Foster, Pouncey, and DeCastro, and the implementation of a zone blocking scheme should help rookie Le'Veon Bell use his one-cut running style to great success. Emmanuel Sanders appears to have finally overcome his foot problems such that he can be fast and decisive on the field. I have reservations about the offensive tackle and tight end situations -- on the former, I wish the Steelers had retained Max Starks, and on the latter, I wouldn't mind the Steelers bringing in free agent Dallas Clark for a look-see -- but I believe the offense can be a good bit improved from the 2012 version.

On defense, Jarvis Jones' experience at outside linebacker and maturation in terms of age may mark him as that rare rookie who can make an impact from day one in a Dick LeBeau defense. LaMarr Woodley looks more like a linebacker than a lineman, which has to help. And Ziggy Hood is in a contract year with a lot to prove. The secondary has a chance to be quite good, with four solid cornerbacks led by Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen. Ryan Clark is the steady presence he has always been and Troy, well, we have to cross our fingers in terms of health, but he's always answered the bell when he's been able. Shamarko Thomas looks like he's prepared to decapitate some folks. And could Timmons take another step forward this season? Regardless, the pieces are there for the Steelers to be a top five or so defense in the NFL.

Perhaps more importantly, the Ravens have really fallen off after you-know-what happened last season. And I'm simply not sold on the Bengals.

As much as I'm looking forward to football season, though, I'm truly enjoying watching those first place Pittsburgh Pirates roll along. It'll be fascinating to see what happens in Pittsburgh if the Pirates are playing meaningful baseball in October while the Steelers and Penguins are playing. Can't wait.

Post subject: Re: J_C_Steel's Initial Thoughts on the '13 Steelers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:32 am 

7-9. Not looking good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am 

I hate to rain on the parade, but I'm thinking 6 wins...Too many old guys and too many young guys. The Steelers have not drafted well in recent years and have no one ready to step in like they did before. They rode the old guys til the broke or were too expensive.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 pm 

I'm having a real hard time getting a feel for this Steeler team. Somewhere from six to ten wins is the best I can narrow it down to. To me, it all comes down to the offensive line getting it together and staying healthy. They have the pedigree, but not a ton of experience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:48 am 

Me too, offensive line is the key. And so far I don't like what I see. But I have a hard time predicting a bad season because they've been so good over the years. 9-7 is my call.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm 

I feared that the Steelers were mediocre, even before the ugly Pouncey injury, and that Mike Tomlin is not the kind of coach to prod an 8-8 team to a 10-6 record.

He is more the kind of coach to take an 8-8 team and wind up 6-10.

Right now, 6-10 seems unreasonably optimistic. Given that, and the "Tomlin Effect," 5-11 or 4-12 seem likely.