You just lost your coach to Auburn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3767115

Post subject: Re: Hey IA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:00 pm 

Guess they just couldn't stand losing to Vandy, eh? :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, it's been a whirlwind past few days. It really came from out of no where. It started out as shocking but it's pretty much unanimous that this could be the best thing to happen to ISU. If the 'Clones can get a good coach (one that doesn't go 5-19 in two seasons) this is a win-win. Auburn has bought out his contract so that gives ISU precious money that they don't have (compared to other Big XII teams).

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 pm 

Has Iowa St. shown any interest in UB's Turner Gill?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Has Iowa St. shown any interest in UB's Turner Gill?

Huge interest, in fact he is #1. I am a little worried that Gill is holding out on a bigger job than Iowa State. His iron is very hot right now

ABC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:40 pm 

It would probably be a stepping stone to the elite level.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It really would be a good job for him. He knows the area (he played at Nebraska) and has said he loves the Midwest. I look at his situation like a really good Jr. running back might look at entering the draft. He can take the ISU job and be financially secure for a long, long time. He can stay one more year at Buffalo and either improve his stock even more or he could have a crippling season that knocks him down a peg or two. This should all play out in the next week or so. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on things...

ABC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:36 pm 

Gene Chizik was interviewed last night on ESPN Radio. He insisted over and over again that he's the right man for the Auburn job because . . . well, because he's the right man for the job. Said he had Iowa State on the right track but it was going to take longer than two years to turn that program into a consistent winner. Every sentence out of his mouth had at least two "you knows" in it. Agonizing to listen to, and if I were an Auburn fan it wouldn't have reassured me a bit that he knows what he's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 pm 

IA -
Charles Barkley is apparently thrilled with Auburn's selection of Chizik. NOT.
Part of me hopes that ISU doesn't hire Gill. Like McCarney, he will make recruiting much more difficult for Ferentz and crew. However, part of me hopes that ISU hires Gill; that he is successful in 11 of 12 games every year and that Iowans support him. I'm still embarrassed at the way Raveling was treated by some Hawkeye faithful after he was hired to replace Lute Olson. I would welcome an African American coach becoming successful and popular within the border.

I agree with other posters . . . if successful . . . Gill will likely use ISU as a stepping stone to bigger programs. A very successful personable African American coach will climb the coaching ranks quickly.

No matter how hard I try, I simply can't write "good luck with the coaching search . . . ." Just not in my blood to do that. GO HAWKS!!! BEAT THE COCKS ON 1/1 IN TAMPA!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 pm 

George "The Rave" Raveling is a good guy too. At least from my personal experience.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 am 

No. 9 wrote:
part of me hopes that ISU hires Gill; that he is successful in 11 of 12 games every year and that Iowans support him. I'm still embarrassed at the way Raveling was treated by some Hawkeye faithful after he was hired to replace Lute Olson. I would welcome an African American coach becoming successful and popular within the border.

I agree with other posters . . . if successful . . . Gill will likely use ISU as a stepping stone to bigger programs. A very successful personable African American coach will climb the coaching ranks quickly.

Gill, as you may know by now, signed a three-year extension with the University of Buffalo on Tuesday. Doesn't mean he'll serve it out, but for the time being Iowa State apparently will have to look elsewhere for a new head coach.

As a Penn State alum and huge Nittany Lion fan, I'd hate to lose defensive coordinator Tom Bradley. But since Joe Paterno has just agreed to a new three-year contract, Bradley once again is going to have to wait for a head coaching shot there. He has turned down opportunities to interview at other schools; maybe now he'd be receptive. He certainly has superb connections at the best high school programs in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, and Virginia, states that ISU presumably makes little or no effort to recruit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:21 pm 

IA -
I'm reading some internet speculation that Mike Stoops may be under consideration. If that happens, I would not be surprised (pure speculation on my part) if Chuck Long isn't considered by Stoops as an OC. I really can't comment on whether Stoops is a solid game coach but it would be a very bitter pill for me to swallow if I have to watch two of my favorite former Hawkeyes roaming the sidelines at Jack Trice Field. The very idea of Chuck Long wearing cardinal and gold with an ISU logo on it . . . freaking blasphemy!!! :shock:

Imagine if Dwayne Crutchfield or Troy Davis coached the Hawkeyes to a Big 10 Championship. Or if Dan Gable ended up coaching Iowa to multiple national championships . . . oh, wait . . . that one doesn't work . . . :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

What is it with ISU/Iowa swapping universities? Dan Gable wrestles at ISU and coaches at Iowa (how did that work for ya??)...Dan McCarney plays at Iowa and coaches at ISU (worked out well for ISU)...and now Stoops...

Stoops is certainly the hot name for ISU right now but we'll see. You bring up a good point about Long, I didn't even think about that.

ABC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 pm 

Paul Rhodes is your new man. Ironically, the D-coordinator from Auburn and at one time Pitt. (Very much hated by Pitt fans)

Good Luck!

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/11183681