Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers 11 Chargers 10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:59 am 

I've said it before and I'll say it again....when there is money involved (with the NFL & gambling....alot of it) there is going to be someone on the take. It happens in all walks of life from politicians, corporations, religion organizations and stock market insiders. If you think it does not take place in pro sports and the NFL included, you are too naive to think all the people involved are honest people. People have been cheating since Adam & Eve...what makes you think the NFL does not have a few bad apples?

I'm not saying this game was fixed, but the amount of calls that went against the Steelers makes you wonder. The last play was botched up big time. They went back and reviewed it and STILL got it wrong. I'm glad I stayed away from this game because all logic and most of the money was on the Steelers and the over.

Post subject: Re: Steelers 11 Chargers 10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:22 am 

I am sure now that the refs were on the take. No doubt about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 am 

The long-awaited first 11-10 finish in NFL history ... never should have happened.

Officials acknowledged after Pittsburgh's 11-10 defeat of San Diego on Sunday that they erred in nullifying Steelers S Troy Polamalu's touchdown as time expired.

Polamalu had picked up a loose ball the Chargers lost while trying to lateral the ball. He entered the end zone with the ball and officials originally ruled it a touchdown. They huddled and waved off the touchdown after replay review after citing an illegal forward pass by the Chargers.

"We should have let the play go through in the end, yes," referee Scott Green told a pool reporter. "It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play, we should have let the play go through."

Had the touchdown been certified, the final score would likely have been 18-10 after the extra point.

Perhaps the most notable part of the scoring flub was its effect on the point spread. USA TODAY's Danny Sheridan said the Steelers were 4-point favorites in Sunday's game. So if Polamalu's touchdown had counted, the Steelers would have covered the spread.

With the 11-10 score, Pittsburgh failed to cover the spread.

Betting site pregame.com estimated about $100 million was bet on the game, with about 66% of that wagered on the Steelers. The site said if the Steelers had won, those who bet them would have won about $32 million, which caused a $64 million swing in the betting money based on the touchdown that was not awarded.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:28 pm 

That just settles it, the refs are crooked. What's a betting man to do?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:12 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
What's a betting man to do?

You could post the same thing a few thousand times on an internet discussion forum!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm 

The refs are dishonest. Inexcusable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

$65mil to the books on this one, Vegas-fans. Untold millions off the book.

How can anyone blithely disregard the notion of fixing when hundreds of millions of $$$ change hands every week based on a spread.

I'm not saying it's all fixed (like a couple friends of mine do), but I am constantly astounded to see how easily and quickly the media just dismiss any idea that something fishy might go on around such amounts of mula.

ZM