Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 am 

I just wanted to say thanks to BBF for his help getting me in an answering my questions when I had no knowledge of how any of it worked. My enjoyment would not have been possible without that-- so thanks again.

I just discovered 2 days ago that there is live accounting of play which can be viewed as it happens including zoming into games where a player is batting or pitching.

How the world has changed. When I was a kid, I had to wait until the next days newspaper to see the box scores and find out how my guys did the night before. Outside of radio there was little live game action to be found. Now it's amazing what's available and I don't even subscribe to MLB TV.

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:21 pm 

Yep - the "Stattracker" function.

I check it at the end of the day only. It can become addicting. I know that some criticize Roto for not being as fluid as H2H, but if you watch the Stattracker for any length of time, you will see teams gain and lose points based upon one at-bat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:25 pm 

When I started playing Roto you had to wait until each Tuesday or Wednesday's issue of the USAtoday to get the week's stats (they published full stats for the aL on one day, and the NL the next each week). Then someone (often me) had to input all the data into a simple spreadsheet (I mean simple is was the late 80's) to compute the standings. ESPN was your only realtime source to track any of your players during the week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
When I started playing Roto you had to wait until each Tuesday or Wednesday's issue of the USAtoday to get the week's stats (they published full stats for the aL on one day, and the NL the next each week). Then someone (often me) had to input all the data into a simple spreadsheet (I mean simple is was the late 80's) to compute the standings. ESPN was your only realtime source to track any of your players during the week.

I recall those days, Barrys. Back then, every league I knew of was based on one league or the other - either AL or NL.

USA Today published NL stats on Wednesday, and AL stats on Thursday. However, the stats did NOT include the output for the game on the day before the stats were published.

We used to specify exactly what stats were used - the published stats (leaving out the game on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on the league) or the weekly totals including the game for the prior day.