Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best & worst draft picks?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm 

With more than 20% of the season completed, I believe that it is time for a listing of the early candidates for best and worst draft selections for the UPPMB Boarders League, 2011, for each team. The qualifying candidates are those selected in rounds 11-25.

Bucfan's choices for his squad are as follows:

Worst Pick

Wow, a lot of candidates. But I have to go with my first selection in the open draft, round 12, Matt Thornton. Never before has a left-hander with a 98 mph fastball failed so miserably and so spectacularly in his extraordinarily brief role as a closer.

Thornton nudges out Angel Torres, err, I mean Andres Pagan. These are the same guy, right?? Three weeks of sucking followed by a lengthy stay on the DL.

Best Pick

Gaby Sanchez, 18th round. 21 R's, 5 HR's, 20 RBI's, .414 OBP. Saved me from the Luke Scott debacle.

Post subject: Re: Best & worst draft picks?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm 

My best pick so far has been Justin Smoak...

Worst pick...the rest of my team

My entire team has been in a two week long slump. A few more days before they lose the slump and slide into suck

Tabata has sucked since he was moved to #2...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm 

Worst - Cuddyer in round 14 (4), steady guy that has tanked with the rest of the Twins. really not my type of player since he had no upside, but I needed a 3B and panicked. I could have said Rodney in round 18, I had just read Sciosia raving about the guy and I fell for a crappy pitcher who happened to be a closer.

Best - I'd say Pineda in round 20, but that was about where he should have went as a rookie. I guess my draft was unspectacular, but my FA pickups are carrying me.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:42 pm 

Sanchez 3-4 with another HR today. He is having a quietly amazing season.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:01 am 

I panicked and chased saves, and two of the closers I drafted ended up losing their jobs already (Franklin and Lyon).

Honestly, I didn't like a single draft pick I made. Not that they are all bad, but I just don't think I got spectacular value at any point. Maybe I will say Luke Scott just to irritate Bucfan, but I even thought I overdrafted him by about a round.

I guess I'd say my gutsiest pick was taking a chance on James Shields after his disasterous season last year (a pick Barrys Dopers ridiculed, btw). That one worked out okay.

I also wish I would have kept Rasmus or Bruce over Gallardo, but there were too many quality arms kept, I was afraid of not keeping some of my own and getting shut out of pitching in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:34 am 

BBF wrote:
I panicked and chased saves, and two of the closers I drafted ended up losing their jobs already (Franklin and Lyon).

Relief pitcher selections can make or break a team. Last year, I picked Billy Wagner and Rafael Soriano in consecutive rounds and they were huge in K's, ERA, WHIP in addition to the saves.

This year ... Matt Thornton, not so much.

BBF wrote:
Honestly, I didn't like a single draft pick I made. Not that they are all bad, but I just don't think I got spectacular value at any point. ... I guess I'd say my gutsiest pick was taking a chance on James Shields after his disasterous season last year (a pick Barrys Dopers ridiculed, btw). That one worked out okay.

You drafted Shields in the 19th round ... I would call that a pretty damn good pick, BBF.

BBF wrote:
Maybe I will say Luke Scott just to irritate Bucfan, but I even thought I overdrafted him by about a round.

If Scott is there at the end of round 16, I pick him and probably feel like CI is covered and do not take Gaby Sanchez in 18.

Meanwhile, Scott has some health issues.

BBF wrote:
I also wish I would have kept Rasmus or Bruce over Gallardo, but there were too many quality arms kept, I was afraid of not keeping some of my own and getting shut out of pitching in the draft.

Letting go of Rasmus was a tough call. I was frankly surprised that you did not protect him.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 am 

Best:
Polanco

Worst:
So many to choose from...

Brignac

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am 

Not a draft pick...HOWEVER....I kept Dunn. Not only did I keep him, but I turned down a trade for Ryan Howard straight up for him. I told BB I was surprised to find Dunn's numbers were actually better than Howard's. After waffling and trying to squeeze more out of the trade on my part, BB pulled the offer. Stellar move on my part! My offense is so inept I have virtually no chance already this season. An honorable mention so far to Delmon Young, the always injured Rafael Furcal, and Jason "Why'd I leave Boston for this dump" Bay...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:03 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Not a draft pick...HOWEVER....I kept Dunn. Not only did I keep him, but I turned down a trade for Ryan Howard straight up for him. I told BB I was surprised to find Dunn's numbers were actually better than Howard's. After waffling and trying to squeeze more out of the trade on my part, BB pulled the offer. Stellar move on my part! My offense is so inept I have virtually no chance already this season. An honorable mention so far to Delmon Young, the always injured Rafael Furcal, and Jason "Why'd I leave Boston for this dump" Bay...

You're just trying to make the rest of us feel better, Parrot.

Adam Dunn has indeed stunk to high heaven so far. Just odd, since he hit in a pitcher's park last year and was added to a Chisox team that had players ahead of him who can get on base (Pierre, Beckham) and a guy behind him who offers serious protection (Konerko).

At some point, Guillen has to move Dunn down in the line-up.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm 

If we're talking keepers...

Even though it cost me Longoria and Stubbs, I swung deals for JJ, Cahill and Michael Young.

Kelly Johnson has been a dud, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:56 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:

Yep, you had your chance. ;)

Actually, I ended up having second thoughts because I had Dunn in my money league. Boy has he killed me. Most people projected him to hit 40. I could care less about his low BA, but he isn't getting any numbers.

My best pick: Howie Kendrick in Round 14 and Travis Hafner in the last round.

My worst: Manny Ramirez in Round 17

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:06 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Yep, you had your chance. ;)

Actually, I ended up having second thoughts because I had Dunn in my money league. Boy has he killed me. Most people projected him to hit 40. I could care less about his low BA, but he isn't getting any numbers.

My best pick: Howie Kendrick in Round 14 and Travis Hafner in the last round.

My worst: Manny Ramirez in Round 17

No reason to feel bad about Dunn, he has been the game's most consistent HR hitter for almost a decade (46,40,40,40,40,32,38,38) and he was moving to a hitters park. Its safe to say that no one could have seen his slow start coming.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
If we're talking keepers...

No, the thread was about draft selections. I was pretty happy with my keepers.

NSMaster56 wrote:
Even though it cost me Longoria and Stubbs, I swung deals for JJ, Cahill and Michael Young.

I dealt Johnson because he missed the last month of 2010 with a "tired shoulder." That had me worried. He was so freaking good the first half last year, and just kind of died the second half.

I was not going to be able to protect Young. He was my 11th guy. I still like the deal, as Stubbs is a genuine 5-category guy. Longoria's injury really hurt my team.

In the very brief time since he has returned, the offense has improved significantly. I dealt two keepers (Johnson, Rollins) and a guy I could not protect for two keepers that I thought were an upgrade (Stubbs, Longoria).

The draft pick part of the trade would have turned out okay for me if I had not selected garbage like Thornton. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts ...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
No reason to feel bad about Dunn, he has been the game's most consistent HR hitter for almost a decade (46,40,40,40,40,32,38,38) and he was moving to a hitters park. Its safe to say that no one could have seen his slow start coming.

His implosion is mystifying. Given that we have an OBP league, the batting average issue is completely irrelevant.

And since Dunn qualified at 1B and OF, I saw him as a really good player. Geez, who can figure?

But this is more about the draft picks. Why? My keepers have done pretty well (other than the freaking INJURIES to Longoria and Greinke), so I have nothing to bitch about. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 pm 

Goedenavond Mannen 18-17 yeahh...

My best prick.. ey... eh pick will be the Jacoby Ellsbury.. Picked up Russell Martin directly after the draft, so that does not count..

But my worst can be more.. I gambled with Joe Nathan, started Ok, but that sunk deep, but was already a gamble..
but also Brett Gardner and Carlos Pena have started Afwull, but slowly getting up...

But with the Wainwright pick i can only say that the final result will be after this year...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:34 pm 

The DUTCH guy wrote:
My best prick.. ey... eh pick will be the Jacoby Ellsbury..

He was a solid pick.

The DUTCH guy wrote:
But my worst can be more.. I gambled with Joe Nathan, started Ok, but that sunk deep, but was already a gamble... but also Brett Gardner and Carlos Pena have started Afwull, but slowly getting up...

Bullpen picks are brutal. As some point, I may just ignore the freaking bullpen during the draft and stockpile free agents after the season starts.