Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My money league
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:27 pm 

Just made a trade: I traded away Lance Berkman for Jose Tabata. Berkman off to fast start, but can he sustain it? Plus I am very strong in HR, RBI categories while I am weak in SB, AVG. Anyone think it was a wise move?

I also have to make another decision. I got Jason Bay really late in this league and he is coming off the DL which means I have to drop someone. My realistic choices are Cody Ross, Bob Abreu or Nick Markakis. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: My money league
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Just made a trade: I traded away Lance Berkman for Jose Tabata. Berkman off to fast start, but can he sustain it? Plus I am very strong in HR, RBI categories while I am weak in SB, AVG. Anyone think it was a wise move?

I also have to make another decision. I got Jason Bay really late in this league and he is coming off the DL which means I have to drop someone. My realistic choices are Cody Ross, Bob Abreu or Nick Markakis. What do you think?

I like the trade for you, I can't see Lance keeping this up through the summer (but I'd like too since I have him in the board league). Seems like fair deal.

I'd say bye-bye to Cody Ross, that's a tough hitters park and he just isn't that good (don't be fooled by the World Series).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

I like the trade for you, I can't see Lance keeping this up through the summer (but I'd like too since I have him in the board league). Seems like fair deal.

I'd say bye-bye to Cody Ross, that's a tough hitters park and he just isn't that good (don't be fooled by the World Series).

I agree about Berkman. Ross' numbers project lower and he seems like the obvious choice. I just don't see big numbers for Bay, but I got him so late, I guess it would be a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:53 pm 

Lance for Jose is a steal, IMO.

I would drop Ross. Abreu is ruthlessly consistent (always 20-100, .300) and Markakis has gobs of potential. Ross is a known, unimpressive commodity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:02 pm 

Ross would be my 1st choice, Abreu would be my #2 choice. Markakis is an on base machine...

Tabata for Berkman is a steal...The power might be there for Tabata (15 Hrs) and the steals and runs...

Berkman is probably going to break down all the time he's running down in the OF this summer...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:57 pm 

Concur with the opinions of others ... Tabata offers 3 very good categories (R's, SB's and average), while Berkman offers 4 (average, R's, HR's, RBI's) but getting SB's from guys who also hit .300 with 12 HR's or more is a huge bonus. (My anti-Juan Pierre, Michael Bourn, Brett Gardner bias is showing.)

Also, Cody Ross gives you some HR's ... but not in that park. Bay probably offers more in just about every category.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm 

So far, the trade favors him as Berkman has been hot and Tabata cold, but I agree with all of you on your assessment. I did drop Ross. I am getting slaughtered in this league now, down to sixth place, mostly because Adam Dunn, Bob Abreu, Nelson Cruz, Pedro Alvarez and Nick Markakis have been awful the last two weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am 

Another possible trade: A guy needs a closer and I have four - Perez, Fuentes, Rauch and Kimbrel. I am first in saves right now.

He is offering Coco Crisp and Jaime Garcia. I am still last in stolen bases.

What do you guys think? Are Garcia's numbers legit?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Another possible trade: A guy needs a closer and I have four - Perez, Fuentes, Rauch and Kimbrel. I am first in saves right now.

Fuentes and Rauch are hanging on to their jobs by a thread. Bailey is supposed to return in about two weeks and Francisco has been lights out so far. Garcia isn't an ace, but he will be a very servicable back-end fantasy starter and Crisp is very good when healthy. Why not deal 1 category for solid help elsewhere? Particularly if you can get something for Fuentes or Rauch who may not hold onto their value for long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Fuentes and Rauch are hanging on to their jobs by a thread. Bailey is supposed to return in about two weeks and Francisco has been lights out so far. Garcia isn't an ace, but he will be a very servicable back-end fantasy starter and Crisp is very good when healthy. Why not deal 1 category for solid help elsewhere? Particularly if you can get something for Fuentes or Rauch who may not hold onto their value for long.

I agree. I left a key point out. He is asking for Perez. I tried a counter trade for Rauch, but he declined. Rauch could hold onto his role, but Fuentes is probably gone like you said.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm 

Who would you drop for Crisp?

I guess it comes down to how comfy you are with Rauch as your #2 CL or your ability to find another "new" closer on waivers. You only really need 2 CL to stay competitive.

I'm a believer in Garcia as a #4-5 mixed league SP and Crisp will get your 30SB even if he gets hurt for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:53 pm 

If I would drop a position player, it could be Abreu.

But I am thinking about dropping Francisco Liriano. He is killing me right now. However, that might be a panic move.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:44 pm 

I think I'd rather have Abreu than Crisp, even with the slow start.

Liriano may indeed be done (reinjured), he looks alot more like 2009, than 2010 and he's leading the league in walks.

Can you get a better SP than Garcia for Perez straight up?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 pm 

The guy just gave me Alex Gordon for Chris Perez. Trade winner is?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:51 am 

bucco boy wrote:
The guy just gave me Alex Gordon for Chris Perez. Trade winner is?

Bucfan is an Alex Gordon believer ... he turned 27 this year and is putting together the production that seemed inevitable from his minor league stats.

He gives runs, RBI's, average, and a few SB's. He has a line drive stroke but his career has shown good power. I see him as excellent in 3 categories, good in a 4th (HR's), and with a few SB's thrown in for good measure.

Further, a position player who gives that kind of productivity in 4 or maybe even 5 categories has more value than almost any reliever.

And this observation comes from a guy who has made two separate offers to try and get Perez. I am a huge Perez fan, since he gives ridiculous ERA, WHIP and a superb save rate.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:59 pm 

I am looking into a trade with a last place team. They are looking toward next year (keeper league).

My most valuable hitter is Matt Holliday. I have him for a keeper two more years after this.

I was thinking of offering him for Heath Bell, Ricky Nolasco and Shin-So Choo.

I would probably throw in a No. 4 type pitcher as well or even dump Jon Rauch on them.

I like to play for this year. I traded A-Rod last season and only got one keeper out of it (Felix). This year, I might not get any if I make a trade like this.

I am currently in fourth, but I have been moving up and was in third for a couple days. 1st is within distance.

I welcome your opinions.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm 

Bell is going to be dealt by the Pads. If he moves to the AL, his ERA and WHIP go up. Pitching against the creamy-soft NL West, at Petco, has been a major benefit to him.

Choo has just not hit this year. His K rate is alarming, his walk rate down. I suspect that something may be going on with him, since while the rest of the team is doing really well, he has just plain stunk.

Bell helps your pen, no doubt, and Choo will give some R's, SB's and HR's. I presume that you are in a BA league, so Choo will kill your average, compared to Holliday.

The overall effect is to improve team production in SB's and saves, but you may wind up with just 1 keeper in the exchange, Bell.

I guess overall the exchange would be Matt Holliday and Chris Perez for Alex Gordon, Shin Soo Choo, Heath Bell, and Ricky Nolasco. I think you can live with that, if Choo finally freaking hits.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 pm 

Most of your assumptions are correct although I would never keep in reliever in this league.

Saves are an issue and I don't overvalue them, but with Perez gone now, I really only have one legit closer (Kimbrel). Rauch lost his job and Fuentes will eventually.

Nolasco will help. I am not sure I want to give up Holliday, but it would make things easier if Adam Dunn would start to put up some numbers. I just don't think I have anyone else that they would consider a keeper except Nelson Cruz, but he is on the DL. I guess I could wait it out until he comes back and try to offer him instead and see if the bite.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I am not sure I want to give up Holliday, but it would make things easier if Adam Dunn would start to put up some numbers.

He got hot just in time to screw Jordan Walden - who I have on two teams - out of a save. :D He actually did have some really good AB's that game and hit the ball hard 4 times, including twice to left field. He may be awakening.

bucco boy wrote:
I just don't think I have anyone else that they would consider a keeper except Nelson Cruz, but he is on the DL. I guess I could wait it out until he comes back and try to offer him instead and see if the bite.

That may be the way to go. Cruz gets interest despite his inevitable trips to the DL, and Holliday is a much more consistent producer than Cruz.

As for bullpen keepers ... I have always agreed with you. You can generally find pen help in rounds 10-15. However, Bell has been one of the best relievers in baseball over the past 4 years (Brian Wilson, Mariano Rivera, Bell, and maybe Soria). Those four guys, I protect.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm 

Anyone think David Ortiz going to continue to put up the numbers he has?