Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greinke, Longoria and now J.J. "Not Joe" Hardy ...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
I haven't been drinking but am laughing out loud.

This season is going to get me to start drinking a lot more.

However, I suspect that my injudicious decision to have a couple of beers during the draft wrought havoc on my selections. I completely and totally abandoned two guys that I had targeted for the 14th and 15th rounds. Made disastrous selections of Angel Pagan and Andres Torres - basically, identical skill sets and not worth two picks.

I had targeted Luke Scott in the 14th and Yunel Escobar in the 15th ... I convinced myself that they were going to fall until later and strategy be damned. I was going to get them in the 16th and 17th respectively, and in the meantime, dominate the ever-difficult SB category.

Instead, Andres Torres did nothing before going on the DL, and Pagan has been off to a slow start. It is fine for the ever-patient to say, "Oh, it's early, these things even out." Yeah, great, say that when you see your team plummet into the basement and watch key players in whom you invested your draft stink it up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
You dont have Josh Hamilton do you? I heard he's hurt too

No, Sub has Hamilton.

Is he hurt? Sub also has Zimmerman, who went on the DL with a rib injury. Apprently, my pre-draft trade offer for Zimmerman was enough to cause the injury.

I am not a happy camper. When I looked at other teams, I see that many have some DL guys but that makes three for me and two of my top tier guys.
Does this kind of thing happen often? I'm picking up guys that I don't even know to fill in temporarily and expect to flounder even more in the coming weeks.

So now add Victor Martinez to what we called the "mothers club' in high school fooyball. I now have five, count them five non players. Hell, I might as well stop paying attention.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
So now add Victor Martinez to what we called the "mothers club' in high school fooyball. I now have five, count them five non players. Hell, I might as well stop paying attention.

I am adding good players in part just to make sure that I do not pass on a guy who, in the long run, has much more value than I would have expected.

Alex Gordon is the prime example. I was going to draft him, but when my strategy went into the toilet and I wound up selecting Adam goddamn Laroche, I passed.

Shortly after the season started, I fixed that horrendous decision. He is a heck of a player and a guy I am liking more and more each game.

I also picked up the Angels' closer, Walden, who throws a lot like Hanrahan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 pm 

Well-- this is amazing. I have dropped two pitchers for position players and ironically just added Adam LaRoche to put him at util., move LaPorta to the outfield, and Zobrist to second base.

My team probably would not beat a AAA team-- imagine this:

DL Mauer
DL Zimmerman
DL V. Mart
DL Josh Hamilton
DL Frank Francisco-- now dropped

AND..... Jeter is still playing for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:46 am 

I have four guys on DL now - Longoria, Greinke, Torres and Pagan.

Great return on my early picks ... Matt Thornton, Angel Pagan, Andres Torres, Ryan Dumpster. Two cut, two on the disabled list.

I would have had more success picking names out of a hat.