Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: League Guidelines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:33 am 

Below is the league guidelines, from years past. I recall there being some desire to switch from a snaking draft to a straight 12-->1 draft. What say ye, UPPMB?

Pirate Boarder League Guidelines

I. Managers

The league shall strive for 12 managers each season, and the number of managers shall be 12. 13 managers shalt we not have, neither have we 11, excepting that we then proceedest onto 12. Managers shall be members of the UPPMB, though there are no requirements for how long a manager must have been a member or how often they contribute to the message board.
In extraordinary circumstances, a manager spot may be made available to someone that is not a member of the UPPMB, but only after advertisements posted both on the Rotunda and on the Fantasy Baseball boards have failed to achieve 12 managers.

II. Rosters

Rosters for each team will be made up of 25 players as broken down below. In addition, there will be 3 disabled list positions.
Position Players: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT
Pitchers: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P
Bench: 4 spots, may be position players or pitchers

III. Keepers

Managers may keep 10 players each year. There is no limit to the number of years a manager may keep a player. The deadline to determine which players you keep will be announced on the UPPMB Fantasy Sports board each year, but will generally be approximately two weeks prior to the draft. The 10 players may be any combination of position players and pitchers, with the only requirement be that they were on that manager’s roster on the final day of league play in the preceding year.

IV. Draft

The draft will take place each year as close to the end of spring training as possible. It will be 15 rounds long (15 rounds + 10 keepers = 25 players). The draft will be snaking, with the first round going in reverse order of the previous season’s final standings (ie last place team has the 1st pick, first place team has the 12th and 13th pick).

V. Waivers

The initial waiver claim order will be the opposite of the draft order, so that the team with the first draft pick has the last waiver claim. Once you use your waiver claim, you will go to the bottom of the waiver list.

VI. Trades

Trades are permitted (and encouraged) from the time of the draft through the trading deadline (mid-August). It is also possible to make trades, via the UPPMB, in the offseason. In that case, the trade must be sent to the commissioner and made public to the rest of the managers.

All trades are subject to commissioner approval, and will be subject to a 2 day wait. If there is a protest of the trade, the person filing the protest will notify the commissioner. The commissioner will then try to resolve the protest, and, if the protester is unsatisfied, will put the trade up for a league vote.

VII. New Managers

In mid-January, the commissioner will ask all previous managers if they are interested in returning. If there are managers not interested in returning, their rosters will be preserved, and a call for new managers will be posted on both the Rotunda and the Fantasy Baseball board. In extreme circumstances, if there are still unfilled spots, the commissioner may ask managers for suggestions for other players who are not contributors to the UPPMB.

If multiple managers need to be replaced in any given season, one of two options may be used for assigning teams:

A. Option #1
New managers will be randomly assigned to available teams by a neutral, blinded third party. The new managers will inherit the roster (from which they may choose their keepers or make trades) and draft position.

B. Option #2
New managers will participate in a ten round dispersal draft to get 10 keepers. For example, if 3 teams are available, and 3 new managers join, the 3 managers will have a ten round draft from which they will choose players from the available rosters. The new managers will then draft 1-3 in the league draft in the opposite order that they drafted in the dispersal draft (does this explanation make sense?)

VIII. Trading Draft Picks

Since trading in the offseason is possible, it may be advantageous for teams with fewer than 10 keepers to be able to trade their draft picks for keepers in the offseason. These trades must be posted to the UPPMB so that the draft order can manually be changed by the commissioner.

Post subject: Re: League Guidelines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 am 

We didn't have a snake draft last year. We had a straight 12-1 draft. I know. I picked 12th every round.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 am 

Aha. Then this was already decided and the lazy commissioner didn't update the guidelines before cutting and pasting. I thought that was what I remembered, but the guidelines said differently, so I thought I would mention it.

Straight draft it will be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 am 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
Rosters for each team will be made up of 25 players as broken down below. In addition, there will be 3 disabled list positions.
Position Players: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, UT
Pitchers: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P
Bench: 4 spots, may be position players or pitchers

I personally hate this (maybe even more than this not being a head-to-head league). Here's what I hate...
1. I hate CI and MI, especially in keeper leagues.
2. The pitching here is ridiculous. There are waay too many spots here. At the very least I would take away one SP and one RP.
3. Have one DL spot
4. These changes open things up for bench spots. This does two things...
-Makes managers manage. With so many positions and few bench spots it's too easy to go weeks at a time without changing your lineup.
-Allows managers to "bury" their keepers that are in the minor leagues without having a zero percent chance of success

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:35 pm 

I agree with a lot of what IA said. And as I've probably beat to death I'm not a fan of 10 keepers anyway....especially if there is no limit on how long you keep them. I agree with BBF that putting a limit on it causes a lot more movement(trades, etc.) between owners and causes more decisions to be made by owners.

I already feel like 10 keepers gives too large of an advantage to the top teams from the year before, making it more difficult for the other owners and may cause more disinterest by them. And it really becomes bad with new owners. THEN if we allow players to be kept forever it really limits how some teams can improve. Why should someone be able to keep Pujols for the next 5 years? To me it makes it more fun when you know you can't keep guys forever and then ditch them when they go down the drain.

In the end I don't care. I like this league because it is different from all my others. I'm in H2H CBS leagues otherwise, so this always keeps me interested because it is different. I'm just throwing my 2 cents in...

Oh, one other thing. I'd like to have unlimited transactions, or at least a higher number. One thing I disagree with IA about is not trying because you know you don't have a chance. I've won this league twice, finished second, and sucked twice...but either way I was always making moves to try and improve and give it a shot at least(Could be I need more hobbies!!).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:00 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I already feel like 10 keepers gives too large of an advantage to the top teams from the year before, making it more difficult for the other owners and may cause more disinterest by them.

The league history shows that repeat championships are rare. Teams moved up and down the standings year-to-year, depending upon young talent, injuries, trades, etc.

Your own experience (2 championships, 1 second, 2 bad seasons) seems consistent with that.

PirateParrot wrote:
Oh, one other thing. I'd like to have unlimited transactions, or at least a higher number. One thing I disagree with IA about is not trying because you know you don't have a chance. I've won this league twice, finished second, and sucked twice...but either way I was always making moves to try and improve and give it a shot at least(Could be I need more hobbies!!).

That is a legit point, but BBF gave a really good explanation for the transaction limit.

In the last weeks of the season, teams were adding and dropping pitching to pick up a save or a win, and effect the standings that way. I hate that strategy in H2H. It is done so often that it is given a name - "streaming."

Not a fan of streaming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
In the last weeks of the season, teams were adding and dropping pitching to pick up a save or a win, and effect the standings that way. I hate that strategy in H2H. It is done so often that it is given a name - "streaming."

In head-to-head leagues you can set the maximum number of player acquisitions for each week. Six seems to be the perfect number for that.

Another thing I didn't like about the league in past years (I know, I'm complaining a lot ;) ) is you can't make transactions on the day of games. If I pick up a guy on Monday morning I can't use him until Tuesday?!? That needs to get changed.

Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Another thing I didn't like about the league in past years (I know, I'm complaining a lot ;) ) is you can't make transactions on the day of games. If I pick up a guy on Monday morning I can't use him until Tuesday?!? That needs to get changed.

I agree and would prefer that, but the issue is with Yahoo's fantasy site.

The site keeps track of player movement. You have to have the player on your roster the day prior to the game for him to be eligible - that makes it much easier on the site's roster programming since it does not have to figure out what time the transaction was recorded, what time the game started that day, what time the player actually did something on the field, etc.

No way around it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
I agree and would prefer that, but the issue is with Yahoo's fantasy site.

The site keeps track of player movement. You have to have the player on your roster the day prior to the game for him to be eligible - that makes it much easier on the site's roster programming since it does not have to figure out what time the transaction was recorded, what time the game started that day, what time the player actually did something on the field, etc.

No way around it.

You can change that. I'm a commissioner of a league on Yahoo and we have it set up to where you can use players instantly. You can pick up a player and use him within minutes of first pitch.

Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:58 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
You can change that. I'm a commissioner of a league on Yahoo and we have it set up to where you can use players instantly. You can pick up a player and use him within minutes of first pitch.

Did not know that ...

Sounds like you plan on being one busy manager this year, IA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
Roster Changes Details

The default deadline to make all transactions (trades, waiver claims, and free agent pick-ups) for the following day is 11:59pm PT each night. All transactions will then be reflected in your lineup for the following day.
So, if you add a player to your roster on Wednesday morning at 6:00 am PT, he will be available to your team on Thursday.

Custom League commissioners may choose to keep this deadline, change it so that all transactions take effect on the day they are made or arrange their league so all transactions can only be made on a weekly basis (in all Head-to-Head Leagues, the weekly transaction deadline must be Monday).

If you choose to configure your league to allow transactions to take effect on the day they are made, you will be able to add free agents to your roster for the current day so long as all transactions are completed no later than five minutes before the start of each player's game. None of the players involved in a move can have played or be within five minutes of their game's start time, or the transaction will not be allowed. So, for example, transactions for all players who play at 4:30 pm PT must be completed by 4:25 pm PT.

If you choose to configure your league to use the weekly option, all roster moves made during the week will be reflected in your lineup on that day of the week. In order for a transaction to take effect in a given week, it must be completed by 11:59pm PT on the day before your league's deadline.

So, if you choose to have all lineup changes occur on Sunday, you will need to make all transactions by 11:59pm PT each Saturday.

When you wish to make moves, simply click on the Edit Lineup link. This will take you directly to the following Sunday's lineup page. You can also advance to the Sunday page by clicking on the link showing tomorrow's date and continuing to advance until you reach Sunday.

Then, as you add or drop players from your lineup, you will see the changes reflected in Sunday's lineup. Similarly, any trades completed during the week will not become effective until Sunday nor will any intra-roster moves (i.e., switching players between active and bench).

For all leagues that do not use weekly transactions, all intra-roster moves (switching players between active and bench spots) can be made until five minutes before the start of each player's game. None of the players involved in a move can have played or be within five minutes of their game's start time. So, for example, all players who play at 4:30 pm PT can be moved until 4:25 pm PT on game day.

Also, bear in mind that your league may include a trading deadline. Click on the League Settings link from your league home page to view the configuration of your league. Trade deadlines do not impact the ability to add players via waivers or free agency.

Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 pm 

Bucfan,

What I really like and am not sure how it would work in roto is a salary cap for spending on free agents. First that allows everyone a fair shot at a hot player rather than the first person to their computer.

Also, I am not a big fan of "streaming" either however I can attest to the fact that it backfires every bit as much as it helps, maybe more.

And last, I don't think we had keepers until last year so those years I won and finished second there were no keepers...I was just that damn good!!! ha....Oh the good old days.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 pm 

This is the third offseason of keepers, so it will be the 4th season some people have been kept.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 am 

BBF wrote:
This is the third offseason of keepers, so it will be the 4th season some people have been kept.

Did not know that.

Well, in that case, the league should mandate a 3-year limit on keepers. The proviso is that it is three years with the team from date of acquisition.

Hey, none of my guys has been on the team for more than a year. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm 

BBF wrote:

Really? Wow...couldn't have said that. Did we keep 10 all those years? I guess I can't keep very good track of time anymore!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I guess I can't keep very good track of time anymore!

Parrot ... read "The Elegant Universe."

Time is not a constant. Circumstances and perception have a significant effect on time. For example, traveling at 1/2 the speed of light, or residing on or near an object with the mass of a black hole, dramatically affects how time is perceived.

I therefore conclude from your observation that you are either (1) traveling at an extraordinary velocity or (2) living with or yourself are something of enormous mass. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I guess I can't keep very good track of time anymore!

Parrot ... read "The Elegant Universe."

Time is not a constant. Circumstances and perception have a significant effect on time. For example, traveling at 1/2 the speed of light, or residing on or near an object with the mass of a black hole, dramatically affects how time is perceived.

I therefore conclude from your observation that you are either (1) traveling at an extraordinary velocity or (2) living with or yourself are something of enormous mass. :D

Sounds to me like you think and read too much serious stuff.