Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011 Season
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 pm 

With the system we used BBF, you don't go back. That's why the sliding scale. If people are interested in doing something like this, I would volunteer to keep the sheet and post it on UPPMB. Since we have 10 keepers, we could do two at each level. That would mean two players you keep this season, you could not keep next year. Think of it this way. If you get two keepers each season from your draft, that's pretty good. This is like you already did that with the scale.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm 

The best way to insure player movement is to go with an auction format with player salaries/max years. In that format superstars are rarley kept because they cost so much, while prospect and young players become very valuable when they breakout. Of course to do that we'd have to start over this year and use the new yahoo auction feature.

Assuming we don't want to do that, I'm fine with a cap on keepers years, I'd suggest 4 years. That would cut down on teams trying to draft and keep players more than a year away from the bigs and it would make sure that guys like Pujols hit the trade market. The only stipulation would be that you can still trade a guy the offseason after his 4 year. I have another league that says they have to be gone by the end of the season, so you are forced to trade a 4th year guy in August or lose him for nothing ( I hate it).

I also think 10 is a very good keeper number for a shallow league, just enough room to keep your horses and maybe 1 or 2 young guys. I wouldn't oppose dropping it to 8, but that would really limit keeping any prospects.

I oppose a minor league roster, yahoo can't do it so it ends up being a mess, and I like the way it is now where you sacrifice your MLB bench to chase the kids.

I also oppose reducing the number of starting positions, doing this (particularly hitters) reduces the depth of the league and reduces the need for trading. The league is already shallow, if we drop MI or CI, then you only have 12 starting players at each position.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I also think 10 is a very good keeper number for a shallow league, just enough room to keep your horses and maybe 1 or 2 young guys. I wouldn't oppose dropping it to 8, but that would really limit keeping any prospects.

Truth.

And as for me ... I really kept an eye on ending the year with 10 keepers, and managed my roster with that in mind. Changing the keepers would have to take place next season, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:57 pm 

BBF, can we get a list of board ID's with team names to make trading a bit easier?

Some people are obvious (Bucfan Maurauders), but mine (Five Year Plan) is a bit harder to figure out.

Looks like we only need two more teams to sign in. Best I can tell its Moses Lake, Dericktown, and Cutch still out, with one of those replaced by The Leftovers, which one is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Truth.

And as for me ... I really kept an eye on ending the year with 10 keepers, and managed my roster with that in mind. Changing the keepers would have to take place next season, IMO.

Exactly the reason I said to institute the system I posted earlier. Others in the league I was in agreed with Bucfan so this worked because it was a compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm 

Substitute2 is the new owner, taking over for JimY (Derricktown).

Complete list:

Barrys Dopers- 5yp
buccoboy- Bierbauers
BBF- Underachievers
nad69- Team No Name
Sub- Leftovers
NSMaster- Cutch Me (I think this is right?)
Chris Anderson- Moses Lake
Dutch Guy- Minsk Models
PirateParrots- PirateParrots
Richp- Rich's Best
Bucfan- Maurauders
IA Pirate- IA Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm 

Ok, since no consensus was ever reached, I am going to unilaterally declare the following based off of the discussion in this thread, so that we can move forward with the league for 2011. This is what I consider to be the best compromise from the various viewpoints.

1. I will change the league guidelines to reflect that it is a non-snaking draft.

2. It will stay Roto, in perpetuity. Just because.

3. We will stick with 10 keepers, but we will put a cap on how long keepers can be kept. 5 years will be the cap.

4. Every player kept going in to next season will automatically be assumed to be in year 2 of keeper status (basically assuming 2010 was year 1), even if you trade to acquire them prior to the draft. This moves the keeper cap 1 year closer for everyone. In other words, every player I list as a keeper this year will not be able to be kept after 4 more seasons. Even if I trade Adrian Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez for Josh Willingham (I think that was right, or was it Cuddyer- I don't remember, but whoever made that hotly debated trade with Bucfan BETTER be keeping that player...haha), it will be assumed for the sake of keepers that I had Willingham last year as well. This is a compromise to get the deadline here a little faster on everyone, and not having to go back and see who had who in years past. BuccoBoy's alternative contract system is interesting, but I don't think there is a fair way to decide who gets 2 year, 3 year, or 4 year deals, so someone is bound to be unhappy.

5. Lets take it easy on Sub- he is openly admitting that he has never played before, and doesnt, as of now, even know how to log in and find who his players are. Help him out guys- no taking advantage of the rookie. Until he is in first place...

6. The team that finished in first place last year has to place Wil Cordero on their roster and keep him there all year. Note that this rule is only in effect when Bucfan finishes in first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 pm 

Are we going with the same innings limit again this year?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 am 

That's fine BBF. Nobody seemed interested in my solution, but for the record, each team decides their own tiers. So, you would pick two 5-year keepers, two 4-year keepers etc. and you would make the decision for your team. But the way you have it is much easier so I agree with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:50 pm 

Well.. then the league rules did not changed much.. in what i feel as 50% dissapointing.. with the small DL slots and not a slight upgrade on
trade limits, in what i think would make it more competative for sure..

for the rest i am absolutely fine with the settings.

Still i want to say also we need 1 or 2 players in my dutch H2H league, its a 12 league competition and for now i can find 10 dutchies who know
the MLB roster and play it a little.. 7 players for sure are very active, 3 others are minimal..
I am already happy if we can fill the spots with low-active players, then just to create 2 ghost teams..

i am ready for DA 2011 fantasy season..

Ow!! and Bucfan.. my busy days are almost over what is related to work, and hope the dutch government will complete Mrs Borodich her 1 year stay
in March (beginning) so i can update photos of her (ofcourse with her permission) and shoot some new ones..

WHat also means that this Dutchy will be active again on the board and give his FUNNY WRITTEN DUTCH comments in a typical european way!!

Cheerio.. kiss your wife and see ya!!!

ow and when can i submit my keepers...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 pm 

Question ... how are we keeping track of a ton of traded draft picks from last season?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:11 pm 

Not a big fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm 

I don't believe there were any. When we added draft pick trading, it was decided to only do it in the offseason leading up to the draft. The reasons were that owners change each year, and people might not be happy to inherit a team that had all of its draft picks traded away. Additionally, no one would know how early or late in each round the draft pick would fall, since it is dependent on standings, and a first overall pick is much more valuable than a 12th overall pick. And finally, it is a pain to keep track of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm 

BBF wrote:
I don't believe there were any. When we added draft pick trading, it was decided to only do it in the offseason leading up to the draft.

Okay, did not know that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm 

BBF wrote:
As for the farm system keeper idea, I don't believe Yahoo allows us to do dynasty leagues like that. We could do it on this message board, but it would be messy. Even more complicated with different managers each year. We could move to a pay league like CBS (I think they allow dynasties- Barrys Dopers can confirm, or if thats wrong, tell us who does).

Yes, CBS does, as does 'Fantrax', but they're far worse than CBS or Yahoo! CBS runs probably $15 per owner in a 10-12 team league.

That info aside, is the deadline for keepers set?

I'm already itching to make 'executive decisions'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am 

Deadline hasn't been officially set- lets say March 15th- that gives me 2 weeks before the draft to get everything set up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 pm 

Are we posting them or e-mailing them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:59 pm 

Yeah.. when do we submit the keepers..?

and how..?

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm 

Post them here no later than march 15.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm 

Well.. even if i have 3 weeks to go.. and maybe one of these 10 can do a Wainwrighty..

as first of the league.. The Dutch reveals his 10 Keepers

1. Pedro Alvarez
2. Nelson Cruz
3. Mike Stanton
4. Troy Tulowitzki
5. Neil Walker

6. Matt Cain
7. Daniel Hudson
8. Ubaldo Jiminez
9. Colby Lewis
10. Stephen Strassburg

my big gambles are

Neil Walker, hopefully becoming a top 10 second baseman and have a solid season 20+ Hr's must be no problemo
Daniel Hudson, Fine Rookie Season, hoping for a +15 game winner in him
Colby Lewis, Super Comeback for the Rangers, hope like Hudson to be a 15 game winner and 200+ K's

My 2011 MVP Troy Tulowitzki.. after the injury tear up the National League.. Prolly will be NL's 2011 league MVP

that concludes my Pick 10

Interesting Drops: Ichiro, again dropped like last year. Brennen Boesch. surprising rookie outfielder of 2010 but will he repeat. Ricky Romero.
the Odd man out of this Pitching Staff.

cheerio Hugo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next