Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011 Season
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 pm 

I'm not going to complain either way, but I have said all along I personally think keeping 10 is too many. Doesn't allow the weaker teams as much chance to make up ground. Plus it doesn't put as many players back in the draft pool...making the draft less interesting. Again, I don't care what is ultimately decided upon...just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
I'm not going to complain either way, but I have said all along I personally think keeping 10 is too many. Doesn't allow the weaker teams as much chance to make up ground.

I can understand your point, but in looking over past winners for the league, it is basically a new winner every year.

10 seems a pretty good number. In looking over various rosters, it seems that everybody is losing 3-4 guys they would rather keep. That puts 35-50 pretty good players in the pool.

After that, the ability to balance out need vs. value, short-term vs. long-term, depth vs. starters, etc. plays out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm 

Its all fine by me what style of competition we do, i like both..

head to head brings more chances for everybody, rotisserie is for the fantasyplayers more compatitive till half way, because then teams who are out by far will not compete..
head to head with playoffs (if that is there with baseball) will keep more teams in the running..

or set up a rotisserie and head to head.. i love the game, wouldnt mind..

For me personally i would like to see 1 or 2 more DL spots and a little bit more moves to drop and pick up players.. Because its a game and thats the way to make it more exciting at the end..

not unlimited moves, but 70 or 80 would be better.. In my other league we had 80 and
at the end it gave me a run for the title by smart trading (this was also a keepers league).
With a keepers league you will not trade your whole team for a crazy finish, but it can make
some teams drop some interesting players at the end to go for the victory..

but thats just 1 dutch thought

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The DUTCH guy wrote:
Its all fine by me what style of competition we do, i like both..

head to head brings more chances for everybody, rotisserie is for the fantasyplayers more compatitive till half way, because then teams who are out by far will not compete..
head to head with playoffs (if that is there with baseball) will keep more teams in the running..

or set up a rotisserie and head to head.. i love the game, wouldnt mind..

For me personally i would like to see 1 or 2 more DL spots and a little bit more moves to drop and pick up players.. Because its a game and thats the way to make it more exciting at the end..

not unlimited moves, but 70 or 80 would be better.. In my other league we had 80 and
at the end it gave me a run for the title by smart trading (this was also a keepers league).
With a keepers league you will not trade your whole team for a crazy finish, but it can make
some teams drop some interesting players at the end to go for the victory..

but thats just 1 dutch thought

Agree agree agree!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:01 pm 

I wouldn't mind a change to H2H as long as we stick with standard our standard 5x5 roto categories. I haven't ever played H2H so I wouldn't mind getting some experience with it. Either way would be fine, I also think 10 keepers is the right amount, enough to keep your stars plus a few prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm 

10 is a pretty good number for keepers. That allows a team to keep a prospect, even 1 who is out for the year (like Strasburg).

If we kept only 5, trying to stash a guy like Strasburg would be impossible.

On the H2H vs. Roto issue ... very close in a lot of categories. As of the middle of June, a swing of a few wins, a few dozen K's, and some saves would have shifted the standings quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
On the H2H vs. Roto issue ... very close in a lot of categories. As of the middle of June, a swing of a few wins, a few dozen K's, and some saves would have shifted the standings quite a bit.

In a head-t0-head it's close every week. I love the fact that a new rivalry is born each week. I've also noticed that managers pay attention the entire season in H2H. Most Roto leagues are immensely dull past May.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:53 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Most Roto leagues are immensely dull past May.

Only if your team is beset by injuries. If so, then H2H makes no difference.

So you go 2-7-1, instead of losing more ground in a lot of categories to a lot of teams, but gaining in a few others?

If a team has weaknesses, the key is to try and fix them - in either H2H or roto. I am sure that you have done both, IA, like I have.

A good team in H2H is going to compete in roto. A bad team in H2H is going to suck in roto. The only difference is that a really bad week is evened out in roto. Really good weeks are leveled out as well.

I, for one, have no problem with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 pm 

Roto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am 

Bucfan wrote:
10 is a pretty good number for keepers. That allows a team to keep a prospect, even 1 who is out for the year (like Strasburg).

If we kept only 5, trying to stash a guy like Strasburg would be impossible.

Stashing guys is great, but how many years can we keep a player? If it's unlimited then sure...stashing a guy like Strasburg is a good move. If we are limiting the length you can keep a player(which I hope we are) then it may not be such a good move.

I still would rather have a slightly "fresher" start each year. Keeping 5 or even 7 guys makes more sense to me. And that goes for whether I had a good or bad team the year before. It is more exciting planning for the draft that way.

I prefer head to head as well, but like that this is my only roto league so I have something different to look forward to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 am 

Not that my opinion matters, but I would prefer H2H.

If nothing else, it would be fun to gloat over beating a top-ranked team should my team fall out of contention (again) by the AS break.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am 

Yahoo leagues traditionally open on the Tuesday after the SB, so we should be able to get started next week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm 

The yahoo leagues are now open for registration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The yahoo leagues are now open for registration.

The fantasy mods handle this, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:02 pm 

We need a draft date and we need a keeper discussion. Is 10 the right amount? Do we get to keep them forever?

I don't mind 10, but there should be some limits to how long you keep them. I might also suggest we add a farm system keeper or two. You can draft a player from the minors and keep them off your roster until they are called up. Once they are called up to the big leagues, you have to promote them to your active roster or throw them back in the waiver pool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:14 pm 

I renewed last years league. Everyone should receive invites. If they didn't get sent automatically, I will send them manually after I get home from work tonight.

Will respond to draft date and keepers when i am not typing on my iphone in the middle of a meeting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 am 

Ok, regarding the draft- I picked the last Tuesday in March- a couple days before the season starts- with the idea that most spring training battles will be sorted out, injury news disseminated, etc. I set it for 9pm EST.

As for keepers, when we initially proposed switching the board league to a keeper league about 3 or 4 years ago, I proposed that teams only be allowed to keep players for 3 years. The thought was that it would keep players moving around the league, and force a lot of top players to be traded regularly. However, it was put to a vote at some point and people wanted no limit on how long we could keep a player. The main argument for that was, if I recall, that it punished teams who tried keeping young players while waiting for a breakout season, only to have to trade them after the breakout. For instance, someone who had Votto for the last couple years would now have to trade him, just when they were starting to reap the benefits of holding on to him.

As for the farm system keeper idea, I don't believe Yahoo allows us to do dynasty leagues like that. We could do it on this message board, but it would be messy. Even more complicated with different managers each year. We could move to a pay league like CBS (I think they allow dynasties- Barrys Dopers can confirm, or if thats wrong, tell us who does).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:45 pm 

Thanks, BBF. Very good information.

On the length we can keep players ... some leagues put the limit at 5 years. That is a pretty long time, but it balances the benefit of keeping a young player and waiting for him to produce with the interest in having some turnover.

Also, as the first 5-year anniversary arrives, every year thereafter will see turnover as a "new" group of keepers hits the 5-year mark.

The one specific notation is that the 5 years is for one owner only, so that if a player is 2 1/2 years into a stint with a team, the guy acquiring him in trade thereby does not get just 2 1/2 years of production. If the limit were 5 years "total" as a keeper, all owners combined, then the player's trade value of a player would decline a lot in the last 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 pm 

In my other league, we transitioned it to a keeper league. Each player had a "contract". You had that player for the length of the contract. If you traded him, the new team picked up that contract. For the first season, you were allowed to keep five players. The contracts were one, two, three, four and five year deals, kind of a sliding scale. Anyone picked up in the draft or off the waiver wire automatically received a 5-year contract. It worked well because it eased everyone into the five year thing. The people with really good keepers didn't have big advantage, but they also were able to keep some of their good players. Again, this was a league that was expanded to five keepers and it was pretty fair.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm 

If we want to do this, I think the best way would be to make 2011 "Year 1" for all keepers so that we don't have to go back through historical rosters to find out how long players have been kept by each manager.

The other question I have is, how do we track this other than the honor system. I'm pretty sure I know the answer is "the commissioner keeps another spreadsheet", but I'm hoping someone will tell me Yahoo has a system. This would be my biggest concern- reliance on me (or anyone else) to keep things straight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next