Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Did I committ fantasy suicide?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Kubel, David Hernandez and Starlin Castro

Also, my starting pitching was disappointing. I made a bad trade at the beginning of the season when I got rid of David Price (thinking my pitching was strong), but Ricky Nolasco was a bust and Dan Haren has been very disappointing. I do have Strasburg so that's why I feel I can come back in pitching with him, Felix, Dempster, Niemann and hopefully a better half for Haren which is doubtful. I want to trade him if he gets hot. Haren has bad second halfs.

I am okay in Ks, but I need some help with wins too which Felix will help. (Getting a 5 in that category right now)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 am 

The only player you cut in the roster manuevering from the deal who could help this year is Kubel. However, Minnesota's new park is a pitcher's park - Kubel and Mauer have lost several HR's each in the new field that almost certainly would have been out in the Metrodome.

Starlin Castro is a good player, in 2012. He is a kid right now, and does not really seem strong enough to drive the ball. In a keeper league, I think he will pay dividends at some point, but you would have had to carry him for some time before he became worthwile.

Nolasco has indeed been disappointing this year, but he is a notorious second half pitcher. Look at his splits 2007-2009, where he posted a 4.68 ERA before the All-Star break and 3.84 after. During the same years, he had 189 K's in 228 IP before the break, and 203 in just 190 IP after.

His WHIP after the break for 2007-2009 is 1.06. That is seriously good work after the break.

How many teams in the league, bucco?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The only player you cut in the roster manuevering from the deal who could help this year is Kubel. However, Minnesota's new park is a pitcher's park - Kubel and Mauer have lost several HR's each in the new field that almost certainly would have been out in the Metrodome.

Starlin Castro is a good player, in 2012. He is a kid right now, and does not really seem strong enough to drive the ball. In a keeper league, I think he will pay dividends at some point, but you would have had to carry him for some time before he became worthwile.

Nolasco has indeed been disappointing this year, but he is a notorious second half pitcher. Look at his splits 2007-2009, where he posted a 4.68 ERA before the All-Star break and 3.84 after. During the same years, he had 189 K's in 228 IP before the break, and 203 in just 190 IP after.

His WHIP after the break for 2007-2009 is 1.06. That is seriously good work after the break.

How many teams in the league, bucco?

12 teams. You can keep up to 5 keepers per year with some limitations on how long you can keep them. (5 years is the max).

Let's put it this way. Castro will probably not be one of my keepers this year so why hold onto him now. My keepers last season were A-Rod, Holliday, Lind, Haren and Victor Martinez (who I cannot keep this year). I am looking at keeping Strasburg, Alvarez and Holliday for sure and probably Felix and then I am not sure of the other one. I have guys like Dunn, Nelson Cruz, Zobrist, Haren, Konerko and Andrus.

By the way, Kubel was expendable because Nelson Cruz came off the DL.

This was an agonizing decision, but I play to win now. I still have a good chance to get into the Top 3 at this point (Currently 5th).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
By the way, Kubel was expendable because Nelson Cruz came off the DL.

No doubt. Cruz is definitely an upgrade over Kubel, due to (1) playing in a hitter's park, (2) with a tremendous line-up and tons of RBI opportunities and runs scored, and (3) stolen bases.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:48 am 

bucco ... now you know why I am not a big fan of Brandon League. The guy has single-handedly blown 3 Hernandez wins, including games where Hernandez left leading 5-1 and 4-2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:28 pm 

I got a keepers question...

If you have a keeper and trade him, and then later trade back for him does his keeper status (5 years) reset?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

If you have a keeper and trade him, and then later trade back for him does his keeper status (5 years) reset?

It should renew the 5 year keeper deadline, since he is new to the team. The restriction is generally 5 years on your team from date of acquisition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Are you talking about the UPPMB league or the league this thread was started about?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 am 

The UPPMB league...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:36 pm 

I gotta be honest with you. I didn't even know there was a five-year window for the keepers. Maybe BBF can clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:42 pm 

I had suggested a limit at one point, but it was pretty unanimously shot down- everyone wanted to keep all their players. Maybe we should make a rule such that any team finishing with more than 100 points doesn't get any keepers...what say you, bucfan?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:35 pm 

BBF wrote:
I had suggested a limit at one point, but it was pretty unanimously shot down- everyone wanted to keep all their players. Maybe we should make a rule such that any team finishing with more than 100 points doesn't get any keepers...what say you, bucfan?

I say anyone who has over 100 points and still bitches about not getting points...Even Brian Bixler gets lucky and gets a hit...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 am 

BBF wrote:

I scoff at the plaintive wails of the peasants, complaining about the frigid temperature of the water in the moat around my immense lead.

That water is from the tears of my lowly competitors, by the way ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 am 

I am not tooting my horn, but this trade has worked out for me very well so far. A-Ram has been on fire, Pedro who I picked up right before the trade and a reason I made the trade (Figuring one of the two third basemen would work out) has been hot, Felix H. has been outstanding and Capps has gotten wins and saves. A-Rod has hit seven home runs since I traded him, but he is only hitting around .240. A-Ram and Pedro hit five HRs tonight.

Here was my stat line in this league tonight.

.357 BA, 12 R, 7 HRs, 23 RBIs, 1 SB. And I have guys still playing.

Crazy night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:18 am 

My entire roster has not combined for 7 HR's in its past 10 games.

I am serious. Nick Swisher's HR tonight was the first in 4 days for the team.

And by the way, Ramirez has been on fire since you acquired him. If you had dealt A-Rod for A-Ram straight up, I think you win.

Getting Felix Hernandez and Matt Capps in addition makes it a great deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 am 

Sometimes you have to roll the dice. I did and now I am in the thick of things. In one month I have added 15 points to my total score and have plenty of room to make up those points with my WHIP, ERA, SAVES AND SB. Should be an interesting two months.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:00 pm 

Speaking of trades working out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 am 

Santana is out for a while. Meanwhile, however, Santana will have as many HR's as Mauer over the next 3 weeks.