Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did I committ fantasy suicide?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:30 pm 

This is in my "money" league, not the UPPMB league.

I just traded Alex Rodriguez for three ex-Pirates and Felix Hernandez. Am I on drugs?

Well, the other Bucs were Capps, Rajai Davis and Aramis Ramirez.

Why would I do this is a keeper league where I could have kept A-Rod for another four years?

Well one, I need steals and saves. The steals from Davis and Coco Crisp, who just came off the DL, will gain me around 5 roto points.

Saves, I am dead last with two so-so closers, but I can gain around 5 points Capps if he keeps his saves up.

A-Rod's power numbers have declined and he also has had the injury bug. I also picked up Alvarez a week ago so I have him now and maybe Aramis can regain his form.

I also could use another starter as my ERA and WHIP were at the lower end of the league.

I know it was a gamble, but I had to do something to win this year.

Comments welcome.

Post subject: Re: Did I committ fantasy suicide?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:59 am 

No offense but that seems pretty bad. Who did you have to release to fit those 4 on your roster? Were they really that much worse than Rajai Davis and Matt Capps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm 

I lost David Hernandez and Jason Kubel.

But to win this year, I need steals and saves. A-Rod was out and I was fine with his strong stats i.e. RBIs and runs.

I just think A-Rod is on the downside of his career and his health has been questionable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:21 pm 

I guess you have your points. You can't base everything on name value. Waiting for Texiera has been killing me all season in our league.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 am 

The other factor with losing A-Rod's offense is that I just got Nelson Cruz back from the DL. I guess if A-Rod does what he has done all year, I won't miss him. If he turns into the old A-Rod, I will regret the decision.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm 

I am not a big Rajai Davis fan. The guy is such a mediocre hitter that he kills you in average, HR's, RBI's and his steals are just not enough to make up for that.

Capps has been good this year. The Nats are going to keep him at closer, even where they have alternatives (Storen, for example). Their team is good enough to win, but not win in blowouts, which is perfect for the closer position - lots of chances. Capps is definitely going to help your team in that category.

Ramirez is horrible right now. Just horrible. He looks lost.

Giving up superior players to take care of specific categories - like saves and stolen bases - is a time-honored fantasy strategy. I generally do not follow the strategy since it is too painful to trade a 30 HR, 100 RBI, 100 R, .375 OBP guy to get stolen bases and saves.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:40 pm 

I'm with Bucfan and would never give up a stud for specific categories. I would have looked to trade a lesser player or two for a Juan Pierre and a Matt Lindstrom or something before trading a stud.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 pm 

But I also got a stud pitcher and I agree his value is less because he plays only every 5 days, but when you are only getting 3 points each for ERA and WHIP, sometimes you have to deal from strength.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:03 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
But I also got a stud pitcher and I agree his value is less because he plays only every 5 days, but when you are only getting 3 points each for ERA and WHIP, sometimes you have to deal from strength.

Good point. I overlooked the Herandez part of the deal, as I kind of skimmed the details. My bad.

And as for selecting dominating starting pitchers ... remember, you are talking to Bucfan about winning fantasy baseball by stockpiling big-time power arms in the starting rotation. That was the tactic I adopted in the dispersal draft, and where I selected King Felix 2nd overall. (You may want to refer to my rant a little while ago about the Seattle pen, which has blown two Hernandez wins. I hope you do not have to feel that pain!)

Who did you have to cut loose to add the three other players to the roster? In dealing a star player for good players, and having to cut some guys already on the roster to put the extra players on the roster, I am always concerned that the guy I cut is going to do just as well as the new guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 pm 

Kubel, David Hernandez and Starlin Castro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Kubel, David Hernandez and Starlin Castro

Also, my starting pitching was disappointing. I made a bad trade at the beginning of the season when I got rid of David Price (thinking my pitching was strong), but Ricky Nolasco was a bust and Dan Haren has been very disappointing. I do have Strasburg so that's why I feel I can come back in pitching with him, Felix, Dempster, Niemann and hopefully a better half for Haren which is doubtful. I want to trade him if he gets hot. Haren has bad second halfs.

I am okay in Ks, but I need some help with wins too which Felix will help. (Getting a 5 in that category right now)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 am 

The only player you cut in the roster manuevering from the deal who could help this year is Kubel. However, Minnesota's new park is a pitcher's park - Kubel and Mauer have lost several HR's each in the new field that almost certainly would have been out in the Metrodome.

Starlin Castro is a good player, in 2012. He is a kid right now, and does not really seem strong enough to drive the ball. In a keeper league, I think he will pay dividends at some point, but you would have had to carry him for some time before he became worthwile.

Nolasco has indeed been disappointing this year, but he is a notorious second half pitcher. Look at his splits 2007-2009, where he posted a 4.68 ERA before the All-Star break and 3.84 after. During the same years, he had 189 K's in 228 IP before the break, and 203 in just 190 IP after.

His WHIP after the break for 2007-2009 is 1.06. That is seriously good work after the break.

How many teams in the league, bucco?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The only player you cut in the roster manuevering from the deal who could help this year is Kubel. However, Minnesota's new park is a pitcher's park - Kubel and Mauer have lost several HR's each in the new field that almost certainly would have been out in the Metrodome.

Starlin Castro is a good player, in 2012. He is a kid right now, and does not really seem strong enough to drive the ball. In a keeper league, I think he will pay dividends at some point, but you would have had to carry him for some time before he became worthwile.

Nolasco has indeed been disappointing this year, but he is a notorious second half pitcher. Look at his splits 2007-2009, where he posted a 4.68 ERA before the All-Star break and 3.84 after. During the same years, he had 189 K's in 228 IP before the break, and 203 in just 190 IP after.

His WHIP after the break for 2007-2009 is 1.06. That is seriously good work after the break.

How many teams in the league, bucco?

12 teams. You can keep up to 5 keepers per year with some limitations on how long you can keep them. (5 years is the max).

Let's put it this way. Castro will probably not be one of my keepers this year so why hold onto him now. My keepers last season were A-Rod, Holliday, Lind, Haren and Victor Martinez (who I cannot keep this year). I am looking at keeping Strasburg, Alvarez and Holliday for sure and probably Felix and then I am not sure of the other one. I have guys like Dunn, Nelson Cruz, Zobrist, Haren, Konerko and Andrus.

By the way, Kubel was expendable because Nelson Cruz came off the DL.

This was an agonizing decision, but I play to win now. I still have a good chance to get into the Top 3 at this point (Currently 5th).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
By the way, Kubel was expendable because Nelson Cruz came off the DL.

No doubt. Cruz is definitely an upgrade over Kubel, due to (1) playing in a hitter's park, (2) with a tremendous line-up and tons of RBI opportunities and runs scored, and (3) stolen bases.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:48 am 

bucco ... now you know why I am not a big fan of Brandon League. The guy has single-handedly blown 3 Hernandez wins, including games where Hernandez left leading 5-1 and 4-2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:28 pm 

I got a keepers question...

If you have a keeper and trade him, and then later trade back for him does his keeper status (5 years) reset?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

If you have a keeper and trade him, and then later trade back for him does his keeper status (5 years) reset?

It should renew the 5 year keeper deadline, since he is new to the team. The restriction is generally 5 years on your team from date of acquisition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am 

nad69dan wrote:

Are you talking about the UPPMB league or the league this thread was started about?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 am 

The UPPMB league...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:36 pm 

I gotta be honest with you. I didn't even know there was a five-year window for the keepers. Maybe BBF can clarify.