Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Board's Fantasy Baseball League
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:59 am 

BBF wrote:
chetthespian wrote:
I'm fine with setting contract limits, but I would prefer the ability to hold onto a player for longer than two years, or perhaps have a Franchise type tag to apply to continue to hang on to someone. This is so rebuilding around youth can be done, or if I stick my neck out on a guy and he finally produces, I don't want to be forced into a trade that early.

Either way though, it doesn't bother me that much.

Both ways have their merits. The downside to not setting limits is that if one team collects a bunch of stars, they could be unbeatable for a long time, and the league is less fun for everyone. Plus, when people are forced to trade keeper caliber players, it makes for a lot more active league, and a lot more fun. But you are right...if you take a chance on someone like Cameron Maybin or another prospect who might have a down year, you don't want to lose him just as he breaks out. I'd hesitate to make things more complicated with a franchise tag (again, the more complications you add, the easier it is to lose interest), but if that's what people want, I won't oppose it. I guess its whatever the majority wants.

I wouldnt mind a Franchise tag on one player from your roster, but lets make sure is it for prospects (rookies and 2nd year guys for example) or for anyone on the roster...I dont think it would complicate it too much...but whatever the majority is I'll agree to also...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:52 pm 

I also have a question: If we go with a two year contract on players, and one is traded midseason, does that count as a full season played with his new team? Or does the two year clock begin the following season?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:15 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
I also have a question: If we go with a two year contract on players, and one is traded midseason, does that count as a full season played with his new team? Or does the two year clock begin the following season?

The rule would be that you keep a player for 2 years, meaning keeping him over the offseason. So anybody on your current roster you may keep this year, then keep again next year, but not be permitted to keep the following year. If you were to acquire someone in May, you would keep them next year, and the year after, but not be permitted to keep them the following year. Does that make sense?

In other words, the max you could have a player would be 3 years...drafted in year one, used for a season, kept for the first offseason, used for a second season, kept for a second offseason, used for a third season, then lost. Obviously, most people would trade the guy midseason instead of losing him. If you acquire a guy midseason, you would have him the rest of that season and the next 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm 

Cool. All I needed. Thanks, BBF.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 pm 

BBF wrote:
This then ensures that each expansion team will at least get to keep 10 of the top 90 players, so that they aren't at a horrible disadvantaged to start the season.

I may be nit picking here, or I may be missing something (again!) but how is this fair to the established teams? Assuming the 10 best players are selected per each team, the expansion teams are guaranteed 10 of the top 90 players but theoretically an established team could end up with only 6 of the top 90 players and 4 of the 90+ ranked players. What am I missing?

Putting it another way, if I have exactly 10 players worth protecting, the other 15 on my roster being scrubs, how is only being allowed to keep 6 fair if, after the expansion draft, I have to supplement my remaining roster with 4 of my scrubs?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:22 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
This then ensures that each expansion team will at least get to keep 10 of the top 90 players, so that they aren't at a horrible disadvantaged to start the season.

I may be nit picking here, or I may be missing something (again!) but how is this fair to the established teams? Assuming the 10 best players are selected per each team, the expansion teams are guaranteed 10 of the top 90 players but theoretically an established team could end up with only 6 of the top 90 players and 4 of the 90+ ranked players. What am I missing?

Putting it another way, if I have exactly 10 players worth protecting, the other 15 on my roster being scrubs, how is only being allowed to keep 6 fair if, after the expansion draft, I have to supplement my remaining roster with 4 of my scrubs?

This is all very true. However, it tends to even out because you are obviously going to protect your best 6. This means the expansion teams, while having access to top 90 players, are never going to be able to get ARod or Ryan Howard. So really, expansion teams won't have access to the top 54 players, but would be able to get the next 36 best players. It tends to even things out in the leagues I have played in in the past.

We could just scrap the expansion draft and let them pick 10 rounds ahead of us out of the free agent pool, including the players we don't keep. I've only played in one league that tried that, and none of the expansion teams really had a chance, and they all kind of quit half way through the season. However, that was a 14 team league expanding to a 16 team league, so the free agent pool was a lot more shallow than ours will be. If people are in favor of doing it this way, speak up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 pm 

I totally understand the whole evening out thing, I guess it's team specific. If you have a lot of good players, you're better insulated than if you don't. It just seems to me that an existing team that not's very good is at a disadvantage.

I'll go with the flow so don't chalk my concern up as anything other than minor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

If I remember correctly, in real expansion drafts, when you have a player selected, you get to pull one back. I think that was so some teams don't get killed in the draft while other lose nobody. This might be an option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm 

Quote:
=BBFWe could just scrap the expansion draft and let them pick 10 rounds ahead of us out of the free agent pool, including the players we don't keep. I've only played in one league that tried that, and none of the expansion teams really had a chance, and they all kind of quit half way through the season. However, that was a 14 team league expanding to a 16 team league, so the free agent pool was a lot more shallow than ours will be. If people are in favor of doing it this way, speak up.

First let me say I don't have an answer for how to do this but...we need to get people in the league to take it more seriously. We've had people draft all pirates. Last year I noticed some teams that didn't ever change their lineups...EVER...and then some complained that there was no way to catch the leaders. Well, no, not if you don't at least put some effort into it. I say do the expansion draft the way you want(Buccoboy has a possible idea in his message) and if people would just pay more attention they can still give their team a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:01 am 

How many teams do we need? Maybe some of the new board members would be interested.

BB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:51 am 

Ideally, if we each put up 4 players in an expansion draft, we could take on 3 more teams to bring us to a total of 12. If we want to shoot for 15, then maybe we expand the keepers to 15 and expose 7 or something like that.

Jeremy expressed interest, I believe. If that is still true, we need two more. I was going to post something in the Rotunda as soon as Yahoo puts their leagues back up. I've been checking every day. Usually its about a week after the Super Bowl.

If we get more than 2 more responses, perhaps we will use board seniority to rank the new participants, or expand to 15 teams, whichever people prefer. Again, its not my league, its what everyone wants.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:58 am 

12 should be the limit IMO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 am 

I tend to agree, especially if we keep deep rosters like last year. Leagues where someone is stuck carrying Ronny Paulino are no fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:49 am 

For fantasy baseball I actually prefer 10 teams, but 12 should definitely be the max. Is everyone back in from last year? Like I said previously, it didn't seem like a few of them were into it last year at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 am 

I'm here and one of those people who unfortunately fell off the bandwagon when I moved and had to get internet set up again.

I solemnly promise not to make that mistake again. Perhaps I rested on my laurels a little too much after WINNING the league in 07! I'll fly that flag forever! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 am 

I would like to join.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:12 pm 

When is the Expansion Draft and the Regular Season Draft going to be?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:15 pm 

Regular season draft is scheduled for Mar 26 at 8pm.

As far as the expansion draft, I am waiting for one manager to post their keepers still, and for cappscrew and corsair to tell me when they are available. Hopefully in the next week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 pm 

Hey BBF--I'm not going to be around that night, but if that works for most people then I'll pre-rank.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 pm 

How do i join

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next