Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Board's Fantasy Baseball League
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:50 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I am just checking because I have played in a keeper league where you get a draft pick rather then the keeper.

It doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to clarify the rule.

That would theoretically be fine by me if everyone in the league agreed. Logistically it may be tough to do in the Yahoo draft. Should it be a "1st round" pick, or a sandwich pick, or an extra pick later in the draft? I've never played in a league where that was an option.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:58 pm 

Again, I was just asking. I don't think it should be one way or the other.

If you did do it the way I suggested, let's say I would only keep 8 keepers. I would get a pick in the ninth and tenth round while you wouldn't if you kept 10. Your ninth and tenth round picks would be two of your keepers.

It's just a way I have played before, but I will keep 10 if that's my option. I just wanted to clarify.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 pm 

Ok, so can everyone who wants to play again post a message confirming that? If someone who played last year doesn't want to play, we can give their roster to new players. I've already gotten confirmations from Shark and IA...after we figure out who is returning we can solicit new board members...I know Ryann has expressed interest in the past, as has someone else (bucfan maybe?).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm 

I'm still in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 pm 

I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm 

I'm in again

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:45 pm 

Yahoo League?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Yahoo League?

Yeah, Yahoo. Keeper. Had 9 teams, are going to expand to (hopefully) 12 or more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm 

I'll play if there's a free spot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:53 pm 

I'm in...totally forgot about it being keeper and dropped a couple injured guys that I should've kept at end of last year trying to catch BBF. Yes, I am an idiot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm 

Awesome...everyone from last year has committed to playing again (either in this post or by PMing me). I'll add Jeremy as the 1st interested expansion team. We can accomodate 2 more teams with the expansion draft as it is now. If we get more than that, we might have to make more of our keepers available.

I can't wait for fantasy baseball! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 pm 

ALSO:

Anyone who wants a spreadsheet of all the season-ending rosters to start making trades, send me a PM of your email address and I will email the spreadsheet. I couldn't figure out how to copy from an excel spreadsheet and make a legible post here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:15 pm 

This may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing players on Yahoos can't cut list have to be placed on our 10 man roster?

Oh, and I'm looking to trade starting pitching for offense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but I'm guessing players on Yahoos can't cut list have to be placed on our 10 man roster?

I don't think the can't cut list matters. Yahoo doesn't do keepers (or hasn't in the past), so we are going to re-draft our keepers anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:23 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I don't think the can't cut list matters. Yahoo doesn't do keepers (or hasn't in the past), so we are going to re-draft our keepers anyways.

Like I said, dumb question! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 pm 

So, apparently my PM mailbox was full. I deleted a bunch of messages, but it still hasn't given me the messages sent that were on hold. So if you sent me a PM, I'll respond as soon as it updates my inbox!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 pm 

BBF,

Can you go over how the expansion draft is going to work?

BB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 pm 

Ok, no problem. This is how it has worked in other leagues I've played in...we can obviously adapt it if we so choose.

So we all designate 10 keepers. Of those 10, 4 must be exposed to the expansion draft. This is assuming we have 3 expansion teams. 9 teams making 4 players available gives us 36 players available for 3 teams to choose 10 players each (they can also choose from the free agent pool if they prefer). If we have more than 3 expansion teams, we may have to make 5 (or more) keepers available.

So let's say that 3 of the 4 players I expose get taken. I then get to go back to my season ending roster and choose 3 other players to keep. So it's a good idea to have a plan for your top 14 players, just in case.

This then ensures that each expansion team will at least get to keep 10 of the top 90 players, so that they aren't at a horrible disadvantaged to start the season. Additionally, I have proposed that we are not allowed to keep a player for more than 2 years in a row, which should encourage trading of the "blockbuster" players, allowing the expansion teams to have a shot at them as early as next season.

For this to work, we would have to set a date to designate keepers, at which point trading ceases until after the league draft (that's not to say you can't discuss a trade, it just can't be consummated until after the draft). As for the league draft, draft order will be set, with expansion teams going first, then drafting in reverse order of last year's standings.

This is the fairest way I have seen it done. If people have other ideas, we can certainly adapt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am 

I'm fine with setting contract limits, but I would prefer the ability to hold onto a player for longer than two years, or perhaps have a Franchise type tag to apply to continue to hang on to someone. This is so rebuilding around youth can be done, or if I stick my neck out on a guy and he finally produces, I don't want to be forced into a trade that early.

Either way though, it doesn't bother me that much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:52 am 

chetthespian wrote:
I'm fine with setting contract limits, but I would prefer the ability to hold onto a player for longer than two years, or perhaps have a Franchise type tag to apply to continue to hang on to someone. This is so rebuilding around youth can be done, or if I stick my neck out on a guy and he finally produces, I don't want to be forced into a trade that early.

Either way though, it doesn't bother me that much.

Both ways have their merits. The downside to not setting limits is that if one team collects a bunch of stars, they could be unbeatable for a long time, and the league is less fun for everyone. Plus, when people are forced to trade keeper caliber players, it makes for a lot more active league, and a lot more fun. But you are right...if you take a chance on someone like Cameron Maybin or another prospect who might have a down year, you don't want to lose him just as he breaks out. I'd hesitate to make things more complicated with a franchise tag (again, the more complications you add, the easier it is to lose interest), but if that's what people want, I won't oppose it. I guess its whatever the majority wants.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next