It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

How many IP should we have this year?
1250 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
1458 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Changes to Innings Pitched
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:18 pm 

I wanted to bring up a point that we have discussed in the past: the IP limit.

For the past few years, we have kept the limit at 1250ip/yr. This is the default setting on Yahoo!. If I recall, one of the reasons we did that was because people were cycling pitchers towards the end of the year, dropping Johan Santanas to pick up Jeff Suppans just to get a few extra K's and a win or two. I think, since this is now the third year with keepers, people will be more reluctant to drop good pitchers for lesser ones.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on raising the limit of innings pitched to 1458 (162 games x 9 innings)? I know a couple teams were burned by the lower limit last year and maxed out their innings in August. The benefit to this is that it allows us to consistently rotate 5 SPs each in the rotation. The downside is that there will likely be less pitching available on the waiver wire, because no team will be able to go with only 4 SP.

I'm honestly indifferent to what we do- so long as we are all clear as to what the limit is. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

Last edited by BBF on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Changes to Innings Pitched
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:37 pm 

As long as we know what it is before the draft, it doesn't matter to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:13 pm 

I'm for it too...I did alot of pitching changes because of injuries and got wiped out on the limit quite fast last year...Damn injuries killed my season...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 pm 

I'm for keeping it as is. I don't like changes being made after the league has effectively started(with us setting our keepers). I personally like the strategy of trying to monitor your innings so that your better pitchers get max innings. Who really wants to pick up Kip Wells just to get a few more innings(OK with Kip it may only be 2/3 of an inning). And as BBF stated it is a twelve team league and there will be very few options available. I was close to keeping another pitcher as it was, and this rule change may have influenced that decision.

I was hit by injuries(Peavy especially) last year too, and it just meant I had to dip deeper into the FA pool than I would've liked.

Just my two cents....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 am 

Changed it to a poll. Majority wins. Vote through the weekend. Whichever option is leading at that point will be what we go with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:23 pm 

What is the question? Innings pitched are a league stat? Are there minimum/maximum on IP?

Jeez, the rules governing this league make translating Russian novels seem easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
What is the question? Innings pitched are a league stat? Are there minimum/maximum on IP?

Jeez, the rules governing this league make translating Russian novels seem easy.

Innings pitched isnt a stat...There is a set amount of inning your team has...This cuts down dropping a player for a free agent starting pitcher every day...

Your fielding positions have limits too...162 games per position

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Oh come on, translating Russian novels isn't hard!

Anyways, dan explained it well. IP isn't a stat, but there is a limit. So, in the past, we have always had it set at the Yahoo default of 1250 innings. After your pitchers have accumulated 162 innings, the pitching stats stop counting. For each position, there is a 162 game limit. I proposed raising the IP limit to 1458 which would be equivalent to 162 9 inning games.

Clear as mud?

Actually, I've never played in a roto league that DIDN'T have limits. Maybe limits set so high that they never came into effect, but limits just the same.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 pm 

Are you saying that when a pitcher reaches 162 IP, then his contributions stop? Or combined, all pitchers, average 162 each?

Every one of my four starters is going to pitch 200+ innings, and log a ton of wins and K's after exceeding 162 IP. I have never had a league limit the number of innings per pitcher, other than to MANDATE that at least 4 pitchers be starters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:31 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Are you saying that when a pitcher reaches 162 IP, then his contributions stop? Or combined, all pitchers, average 162 each?

Every one of my four starters is going to pitch 200+ innings, and log a ton of wins and K's after exceeding 162 IP. I have never had a league limit the number of innings per pitcher, other than to MANDATE that at least 4 pitchers be starters.

No, you can have not have more than 162 games played at one position as in hitters, not pitchers.

The pitching limit is what we are voting on. It's all your pitchers combined.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:33 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
No, you can have not have more than 162 games played at one position as in hitters, not pitchers.

The pitching limit is what we are voting on. It's all your pitchers combined.

Okay. My confusion stems from the reference to "after your pitchers have accumulated 162 innings, the pitching stats stop counting."

That, and my advancing years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:16 pm 

Ok, 1458 IP it is.

EDIT: D'OH. Yahoo doesn't let me set it at 1458- so I chose the closest option- 1450.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:25 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ok, 1458 IP it is.

EDIT: D'OH. Yahoo doesn't let me set it at 1458- so I chose the closest option- 1450.

Yahoo believes we will have a rainout that is not made up, so that we play just 161 games. :D